Re: FSB Pro Wish List - Requested features

mathimatikos wrote:

Stability Tool

That is very interesting idea. Thank you.

152 (edited by mathimatikos 2014-11-18 22:50:58)

Popov wrote:
mel8331 wrote:

Can the maximum opening and closing logic slot be increase from the current 8 to 10 ?

Max numbers are fixed to 8. This is connected with the work of the logical groups: http://forexsb.com/wiki/fsbpro_guide/logical_groups

Eight slots must be pretty enough for every one. A normally strategy requires 2-4 condition slots. If you use more indicators, you greatly increase the risk of over-optimization.

I believe that imagination is unlimited.
Also I believe that over optimization can happen even with
the simplest possible strategy.
So it is better for someone to have the freedom to add more
logical slots to his strategy.
My proposition is 16 logical slots or even more.
The reason is that I generally compose hybrid strategies.
I mean that they are half handmade and half generated.
So I need 8 slots for the generator and 8 slots for me.
Of course someone could substitute the logical slots with
custom indicators. BUT for example myself I cannot write
code at this time. And of course if I could write code I would
have the alternative choice to write and test my strategy
straight to MT4 and not to FSB Pro.
Although I am a mathematician and I can write mathematical
algorithms and programs, I use completely different programming
tools in my job than the tools needed to MT4 or FSB Pro.
So I believe that it is better to use FSB Pro for my needs
and FSB Pro offer me as much freedom as possible to compose
my strategies.

Νοῦς ὁρᾶ καί νοῦς ἀκούει.

153 (edited by mathimatikos 2014-11-18 23:37:09)

I think that it would be useful to develop a visual tool
for constructing brand new custom indicators or editing the
existing ones without the need to write code.
The indicators must be easily accessible and accept rename
copy etc...
For example I trade manually some handmade strategies
that use up to 4000 bars for the most indicators.
(Sometimes I wish I could use 8000 bars or more if the
MT4 accepted it)
I would be grateful If I could edit the existing indicators
easily to accept the number of the bars that my strategies
need because I am still not able to write code.
And then I could use FSB Pro for backtesting, generating,
optimisating and trading my strategies.
Also I believe that I must give my effort to trading
and not to programming.

Hello Mathimatikos,

mathimatikos wrote:

Also I believe that I must give my effort to trading
and not to programming.

mathimatikos wrote:

I believe that imagination is unlimited.

I see that you, me and every rational human being believes that too. As a programmer, I can say with a hand on my hearth, that programmable indicators in C# give the user the only way to create TRULY unlimited indicators.

A visual tool to create indicators will 1) take a real lot of time (think "years") to develop and will 2) limit the user's options to less than 5% of all possibilities. If a person is good at logic and linguistics, programming is not a big deal. If they, however, are not good at linguistics and logic... why even bother with such "hardcore" stuff like writing new indicators?!

If you do not wish to program(code) indicators:

Try the repo! There are already about a 100 indicators in our Forex Indicator Repository

Find someone to program new ones for you
- (for free) there are a lot of users who can code in C# in this forum, and around the world
- (hire someone) also from the forums or somewhere else. FSB Pro is merely a one in thousands, if not millions programs that are being developed in C#.

P.S. If someone is smart enough to create a new indicator (which I am not), programming it would be really no problem to a person of such caliber.

yavor99 wrote:

As a programmer, I can say with a hand on my hearth, that programmable indicators in C# give the user the only way to create TRULY unlimited indicators.

P.S. If someone is smart enough to create a new indicator (which I am not), programming it would be really no problem to a person of such caliber.

You still have FSB capabilities limiting you. And as an informally educated (overstated fact in some cases, hehe) coder or a hack I can say that working out a concept is much-much easier than getting a workable indicator out of it.

footon wrote:

You still have FSB capabilities limiting you.

Well said. Still the C# coded indicators are the the most flexible/powerful option.

footon wrote:

... I can say that working out a concept is much-much easier than getting a workable indicator out of it.

Development of the “moving average” dates back to 1901, although the name was applied to it later.  From math historian Jeff Miller:
MOVING AVERAGE. This technique for smoothing data points was used for decades before this, or any general term, came into use. In 1909 G. U. Yule (Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 72, 721-730) described the “instantaneous averages” R. H. Hooker calculated in 1901 as “moving-averages.” Yule did not adopt the term in his textbook, but it entered circulation through W. I. King’s Elements of Statistical Method (1912).

source: http://www.mcoscillator.com/learning_ce … _averages/

The so-called indicators (as far as I know) are actually mathematical "algorithms" (I am not too sure about the terms here) but what I seem to easily see is that those often take decades to invent and polish. Coding an "indicator" into C# would take at most weeks.

yavor99 wrote:
footon wrote:

You still have FSB capabilities limiting you.

Well said. Still the C# coded indicators are the the most flexible/powerful option.

Footon is right.

Not the C# limits the possibilities but the fact the indicators work in a frame predefined by FSB.

The indicators have access to all market data and settings but they cannot access the account and positions information (for now).

The indicator exit is limited to one or several arrays of double numbers.

I think the present effort that Popov is making to eliminate any bugs is critical for a couple more months.

Perhaps that takes precedence over new capacities for the program.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

159 (edited by mathimatikos 2014-11-21 14:15:15)

My dear friends
      I agree that the indicators are based on some observations and
it is difficult to create one.
Lets see the existing indicators used on FSB:
For example lets take the Moving Average:
I want the Generator investigate strategies which use the Moving Average.
I also want the Moving Average use from 3000 bars, up to 4000 bars.
At this time the option is to use from 1 bar, up to 200 bars.
This is not enough for me.
The same will happen with all the other indicators. They are limited up to 200 bars.
This is not enough for me.
I wish I could have the option to predefine the number of bars that the indicator
uses easily through FSB.
I will say some examples of existing features of FSB:

1)The definition of the intervals of Stop Loss or Take Profit.

2)My request is similar to the options that FSB has already
for the traded pairs "Market"-"Edit instruments".

It could be done the same with the indicators.
Someone could easily create a variation of the existing
indicators with a name of his choice and the settings that
he wants.
And also it could reset to initial settings anytime.

I just uploaded all indicators in GitHub: https://github.com/PopovMP/FSB_Pro_Indicators

You can download them and put in the User Files\Indicators folder.

FSB Pro will load them as custom indicators overriding the integrated indicators if you switch on the "Allow overriding of main indicators" option in Control Panel -> Custom Code.

http://s29.postimg.org/ts2p6prxv/screenshot_717.jpg

How to Change a Parameter's Limit
  1. Open the source in a Text Editor
  2. Find and change the parameter.

http://s29.postimg.org/6rw1udu43/screenshot_718.jpg

I want the Generator investigate strategies which use the Moving Average.
I also want the Moving Average use from 3000 bars, up to 4000 bars.

Set:

IndParam.NumParam[0].Caption = "Period";
            IndParam.NumParam[0].Value = 3000;
            IndParam.NumParam[0].Min = 3000;
            IndParam.NumParam[0].Max = 4000;

It will make the MA Period changing from 3000 to 4000.

Popov wrote:

I just uploaded all indicators in GitHub: https://github.com/PopovMP/FSB_Pro_Indicators

You can download them and put in the User Files\Indicators folder.

Thanks a lot.

Can the forex data chart be converted into a Renko chart before the usual indicators uses this chart to generate forex strategy, off course the generate strategy will have to trade against a similarly converted Renko chart ?

That will multiply the possible forex strategy that can be generated by FSB Pro.

mel8331 wrote:

Can the forex data chart be converted into a Renko chart before the usual indicators uses this chart to generate forex strategy, off course the generate strategy will have to trade against a similarly converted Renko chart ?

That will multiply the possible forex strategy that can be generated by FSB Pro.

Invented in Japan, Renko charts ignore time and focus solely on price changes that meet a minimum requirement. In this regard, these charts are quite similar to Point & Figure charts. Instead of X-Columns and O-Columns, Renko charts use price bricks that represent a fixed price move. These bricks are sometimes referred to as blocks or boxes.

Source: http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php? … ysis:renko

Disclaimer:  This is really the first time I hear about Renko charts. My knowledge of Forex is also limited.

...but here is my two pips:

- using any type of bars or "bricks" as they name them in the descriptions will reduce the data that the indicators can use. The best possible option is to use tick (price movement) data, right?

- if you use Renko charts that "represent a fixed price move" means they ONLY have Low and High, don't they? And Low and High will be the same as Bar Open and Bar Close price. I think this would make a lot of indicators inapplicable to such a chart. Or at least make them meaningful.

P.S. In a sense. The tick data is ALREADY a Renko chart smile The minimal price movement is one point

Renko is a lovely method of trading, I have used it often and done quite well with it.

To automate a Renko strategy is fraught with difficulty due to the nature of the bar formation.... it does not work.

Backtests look amazing, almost 100 per cent winners.. Forward tests  explode.

I have tried many times.. it does not work!

Footon quoted an article by an accomplished system developer and he, with all of his research, discovered the same.

Renko bars are not suited to automation.

Could we have RSI as part of the basic indicators ?

mel8331 wrote:

Could we have RSI as part of the basic indicators ?

What do you mean?

RSI is right there:

http://s27.postimg.org/yf3ozhv5r/rsi.jpg

Blaiserboy wrote:

Renko is a lovely method of trading, I have used it often and done quite well with it.

To automate a Renko strategy is fraught with difficulty due to the nature of the bar formation.... it does not work.

Footon quoted an article by an accomplished system developer and he, with all of his research, discovered the same.

If it not too difficult it can be added as a tool, Martingale does not work, but we have it as an option.

In fact automatic trading does not work most of the time on a long term basis, but it still used as a tool.

What's the harm of adding it as an additional tools if it does not take too much effort.It up to the individual to chose if he opt to use it or not.

mel8331 wrote:
Blaiserboy wrote:

If it not too difficult it can be added as a tool, Martingale does not work, but we have it as an option.

In fact automatic trading does not work most of the time on a long term basis, but it still used as a tool.

What's the harm of adding it as an additional tools if it does not take too much effort.It up to the individual to chose if he opt to use it or not.

I guess all sorts of things can be added, however, the program is quite effective as it is. The more options available, the slower to generate a strategy.

Actually, you are not correct about Monte Carlo, it does work and works well. I am not sure why you would assert that Monte Carlo does not work, would you be good enough to share your authority.

Please have a look at this post and familiarize yourself with Monte Carlo: http://forexsb.com/forum/post/27080/#p27080 .

Just to add tools which do not work for the sake of adding tools would seem to be counterproductive.

One thing that comes to mind as we think of adding all sorts of features is the price of the software, and the  capacity of the users computers.

Adding more and more to the software will eventually cost more and more and also increase the power needs of the user computers. And support will cost more.

This software as it is, is very capable of generating excellent strategies and trading them, it is up to the user to grasp the facilities within the program and make them work for him.

The next comparable software has recently doubled in price to approximately $1,200 which amount is a bit scary considering that it does not have as good a set of tools as FSBPro.

169 (edited by mel8331 2014-11-25 17:50:26)

Often strategy that perform well on data from one source did poorly for another. Can we have a strategy generation that only allow strategy that perform well in all the data source we select to survive so that it will be more robust.

Maybe we can even select it to optimize for other currency pair at the same time. Now it will be actively seeking strategy that works across currency pairs or from multiple data source instead of just checking capability now.

mel8331 wrote:

Often strategy that perform well on data from one source did poorly for another. Can we have a strategy generation that only allow strategy that perform well in all the data source we select to survive so that it will be more robust.

Maybe we can even select it to optimize for other currency pair at the same time. Now it will be actively seeking strategy that works across currency pairs or from multiple data source instead of just checking capability now.

There are already features in the program that accomodate most of what you are requesting.

Please be good enough to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the program and the substantial documentation to be found on the site.

Here is my suggestions;

1. There is multi markets that under analysis, we can see test results for same strategy & for same period but for many instruments. But there is not summary graph that show all trade results on same graph. I'm not sure it is useful suggestion because of there is strategy portfolio feature. Is it useful or not, decision is yours.

2. I have strategy that i'm trading manually. I can not code and trade with strategy builder because of strategy have some pre-market analysis and decide which instrument will use for trade of today session. I try to explain more clear;

My strategies have some criterias and testing these criterias for all USD pairs and at the end only one or two (usually only one) instruments selecting for trade today. After that i'll concentrate only one or two pairs for day.

Maybe you think you can write code that test criterias and put strategy all USD pair charts and so if criterias passed, strategy will trade for these instruments. But this time i can not use 1% mm rule for any time and strategy will open almost same positions for many pairs. For example at the same time long for GBPUSD and EURUSD that both strategy short USD.

So what is my suggestion? actually i'm not sure but something like there must be central decision point that decide which strategy for which pair for specific time. I hope its clear but if you find it interesting, i can try to explain more clear. My opinion and according my experience this is the KEY for auto trading...

Thanks for your efforts Miroslav, good luck.

Perhaps you can elaborate on the details of the premarket scan and the decision criteria as to the pairs to trade for the day.... that may already be possible in FSBPro.

You will have to be very specific as to the decision points and the trading method.

If you can not fit it intop the program as written, you can ask Popov to do custom programming for your application on a fee basis.

aytacasan wrote:

Here is my suggestions;

1. There is multi markets that under analysis, we can see test results for same strategy & for same period but for many instruments. But there is not summary graph that show all trade results on same graph. I'm not sure it is useful suggestion because of there is strategy portfolio feature. Is it useful or not, decision is yours.

2. I have strategy that i'm trading manually. I can not code and trade with strategy builder because of strategy have some pre-market analysis and decide which instrument will use for trade of today session. I try to explain more clear;

My strategies have some criterias and testing these criterias for all USD pairs and at the end only one or two (usually only one) instruments selecting for trade today. After that i'll concentrate only one or two pairs for day.

Maybe you think you can write code that test criterias and put strategy all USD pair charts and so if criterias passed, strategy will trade for these instruments. But this time i can not use 1% mm rule for any time and strategy will open almost same positions for many pairs. For example at the same time long for GBPUSD and EURUSD that both strategy short USD.

So what is my suggestion? actually i'm not sure but something like there must be central decision point that decide which strategy for which pair for specific time. I hope its clear but if you find it interesting, i can try to explain more clear. My opinion and according my experience this is the KEY for auto trading...

Thanks for your efforts Miroslav, good luck.

1. You can duplicate the strategy where you set a different symbol for each new copy. Then use portfolio.

code that test criterias and put strategy all USD pair charts and so if criterias passed, strategy will trade for these instruments

This is no problem, again with different strategy duplicates for each symbol. I suggest you go ahead and try to do it. If you experience any hardships - write back.

174 (edited by banabana 2014-12-03 21:48:08)

The ability to translate the program or have as fsb / fst list of words - phrases used in the program that you can edit and send?
Being able to change the theme color or font size or type for those who use many hours in front with the program is convenient ...
are not relevant suggestions structurally relevant but for the convenience or ease of use help, especially for newbies like me and I like many others.

Many thanks, Andrea

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

I saw a documentary on Eureqa that uses random combination of mathematical operation and let evolution to let the fittest survive, this is not unlike how FSB Pro generate its strategy.
http://www.nutonian.com/products/eureqa/

I am wondering  if the strategy generation could go more fundamental, where the FSB will "generate" it own indicators too ?

Maybe I am asking too much but its a wish.