Topic: Remove Data Bars Limitations

Hi smile

first, big thanks for the great FSB Pro! I am currently trialing it but have the problem that I can´t import more than 1 million bars of history per pair, which is not enough since I want to import M5 history data from 1998 to date, which are already 1,2 million bars.

Secondly, the strategy generator can only work on 50000 bars of data, but I would like to use all 1,2 million 5M bars for the Strategy Generator. I have a really huge machine with 128GB of memory and 32 CPU cores and since FSB Pro is 64bit, this shouldn´t be a problem memory-wise.

I am already a owner of StrategyQuant and there I can easily import all my history even 1M which are over 5 million bars and from several symbols and can generate strategies on the 1M timeframe on ALL bars and even on several pairs at once with a RAM usage of just 16GB.

For me those limitations are a real argument to not buy FSB Pro since I simply can´t work with all the data I want. Can you remove this limitations please?

Thanks.

Re: Remove Data Bars Limitations

You can easily rise the limits by editing the Data source settings file.

The data source files are in the Forex Strategy Builder Pro\User Files\System folder.

The files start with DataSource_ . For example, the default data source file is "DataSource_FSB Demo data.json"

Near to the bottom of the file you'll find these records:

"MaximumBars": 50000,
  "MinimumBars": 300,
  "MaximumBarsLimit": 50000,    <----- Edit
  "MaxIntrabarBars": 100000,
  "MaxIntrabarBarsLimit": 100000,   <----- Edit

You can edit the data manually when FSB Pro is stopped.

When you open the program next time, go to Control Panel -> Data Horizon and you can set your working settings there.

I know users that work with 1 mil bars, so it must work on your monster machine.

Please share the results.

Thanks a lot Sir, I will give this a try and report back!

My laptop almost died when I run the Generator with 1mil data. smile

http://s28.postimg.org/qpk7hlg2h/screenshot_807.jpg

Hehe, yes, it takes A LOT of RAM to do that. You could possibly think about disk-streaming for such huge data-horizons instead of loading everything into RAM?

A few years ago I used a lot of bars for a while.. and did not see any appreciable benefit. I guess there may be a benefit according to some people.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

If you watched my Expert Advisors video series, I used there about 35000 bars on M15 and 5 of the 6 prepared experts made profit.

I take my ea and run it on different  time periods to get an idea as to curve fitting instead of a huge number of bars.

I found, when I was using a lot of bars that I had long periods when the strategy would not be trading but the numbers looked good.

There are a few ways to looking at the number of bars for generating, we have to determine our preferences

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

A few years ago I used a lot of bars for a while.. and did not see any appreciable benefit. I guess there may be a benefit according to some people.

Hi,
one big bennefit is the reduced curvefitting.
You need at least 100000 bars for strategy generation.
If the number of bars is less the curvefitting is too high.

For H1 = 52*24 =8640/Year => 12 Years=> 103680
For M30 you have 206.xxx Bars in this 12 years
Für M15 you have 412.xxx Bars in this 12 years

I think it makes sense to use 1 Mio or more Bars.
My largest generation was
26years with H1 Bars

thomas

http://www.tradessystem.com/

Thanks for the tip Popov but unfortunately I still couldnt figure out how to change maximum bars to 1,000,000.

Can you please send screenshots step by step with the Forex strategy builder professional on how to change the maximum bars to 1million? A picture is worth a 1000 words.Am sure a lot more people on your forum will benefit from the screenshots especially those new to the Forex strategy builder professional.Thank you..

Popov wrote:

You can easily rise the limits by editing the Data source settings file.

The data source files are in the Forex Strategy Builder Pro\User Files\System folder.

The files start with DataSource_ . For example, the default data source file is "DataSource_FSB Demo data.json"

Near to the bottom of the file you'll find these records:

"MaximumBars": 50000,
  "MinimumBars": 300,
  "MaximumBarsLimit": 50000,    <----- Edit
  "MaxIntrabarBars": 100000,
  "MaxIntrabarBarsLimit": 100000,   <----- Edit

You can edit the data manually when FSB Pro is stopped.

When you open the program next time, go to Control Panel -> Data Horizon and you can set your working settings there.

I know users that work with 1 mil bars, so it must work on your monster machine.

Please share the results.