forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

(Page 1 of 2)

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Remove Data Bars Limitations

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Remove Data Bars Limitations

Hi smile

first, big thanks for the great FSB Pro! I am currently trialing it but have the problem that I can´t import more than 1 million bars of history per pair, which is not enough since I want to import M5 history data from 1998 to date, which are already 1,2 million bars.

Secondly, the strategy generator can only work on 50000 bars of data, but I would like to use all 1,2 million 5M bars for the Strategy Generator. I have a really huge machine with 128GB of memory and 32 CPU cores and since FSB Pro is 64bit, this shouldn´t be a problem memory-wise.

I am already a owner of StrategyQuant and there I can easily import all my history even 1M which are over 5 million bars and from several symbols and can generate strategies on the 1M timeframe on ALL bars and even on several pairs at once with a RAM usage of just 16GB.

For me those limitations are a real argument to not buy FSB Pro since I simply can´t work with all the data I want. Can you remove this limitations please?

Thanks.

Re: Remove Data Bars Limitations

You can easily rise the limits by editing the Data source settings file.

The data source files are in the Forex Strategy Builder Pro\User Files\System folder.

The files start with DataSource_ . For example, the default data source file is "DataSource_FSB Demo data.json"

Near to the bottom of the file you'll find these records:

"MaximumBars": 50000,
  "MinimumBars": 300,
  "MaximumBarsLimit": 50000,    <----- Edit
  "MaxIntrabarBars": 100000,
  "MaxIntrabarBarsLimit": 100000,   <----- Edit

You can edit the data manually when FSB Pro is stopped.

When you open the program next time, go to Control Panel -> Data Horizon and you can set your working settings there.

I know users that work with 1 mil bars, so it must work on your monster machine.

Please share the results.

Thanks a lot Sir, I will give this a try and report back!

My laptop almost died when I run the Generator with 1mil data. smile

Hehe, yes, it takes A LOT of RAM to do that. You could possibly think about disk-streaming for such huge data-horizons instead of loading everything into RAM?

A few years ago I used a lot of bars for a while.. and did not see any appreciable benefit. I guess there may be a benefit according to some people.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

If you watched my Expert Advisors video series, I used there about 35000 bars on M15 and 5 of the 6 prepared experts made profit.

I take my ea and run it on different  time periods to get an idea as to curve fitting instead of a huge number of bars.

I found, when I was using a lot of bars that I had long periods when the strategy would not be trading but the numbers looked good.

There are a few ways to looking at the number of bars for generating, we have to determine our preferences

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

A few years ago I used a lot of bars for a while.. and did not see any appreciable benefit. I guess there may be a benefit according to some people.

Hi,
one big bennefit is the reduced curvefitting.
You need at least 100000 bars for strategy generation.
If the number of bars is less the curvefitting is too high.

For H1 = 52*24 =8640/Year => 12 Years=> 103680
For M30 you have 206.xxx Bars in this 12 years
Für M15 you have 412.xxx Bars in this 12 years

I think it makes sense to use 1 Mio or more Bars.
My largest generation was
26years with H1 Bars

thomas

https://monitortool.jimdofree.com/

Thanks for the tip Popov but unfortunately I still couldnt figure out how to change maximum bars to 1,000,000.

Can you please send screenshots step by step with the Forex strategy builder professional on how to change the maximum bars to 1million? A picture is worth a 1000 words.Am sure a lot more people on your forum will benefit from the screenshots especially those new to the Forex strategy builder professional.Thank you..

11 (edited by tims3057 2018-01-09 21:33:10)

Hi Popov thanks for the tips and I hope you are well.So i followed your recommendation and attempted to change the Data Horizon but look in the video

https://youtu.be/Sp7hAgmatjA

how it changes back from 1,000,000 to 50,000 when i switch to different tab..This is strange.Can you please explain why this happens and how it can be fixed?Thank you

You have to first stop FSB Pro and after that to edit the corresponding DataSource file. Please try it and report.

Thank you for the tip.Its working now but it cannot download data properly.Look how its downloading data from FSB Demo Data Source.I set maximum data bars to 1,000,000 million bars but look

Data download started:
Meta data received;
Error! Cannot load EURUSD M30 data: The operation has timed out.
Error! Cannot load EURUSD H1 data: The operation has timed out.
Error! Cannot load EURUSD M5 data: An exception occurred during a WebClient request..
Downloaded EURUSD M15, bars: 100000, updated to: 2018-01-10 06:00;
Data download completed.

I dont understand why it cannot download more than 100,000 bars.

These errors must be due to your internet connection. I tested it now and it works fine.

Our Data Service provides up to 100 000 bars. You can import as many bars as you wont form your MT or from other sources.

Ok thank you and bless you for this wonderful software you have developed.

Popov wrote:

These errors must be due to your internet connection. I tested it now and it works fine.

Our Data Service provides up to 100 000 bars. You can import as many bars as you wont form your MT or from other sources.

16 (edited by magiksxw 2018-06-02 17:03:37)

Hi there,
I adjusted the max bar numbers in the corresponding data source file in System, restarted the FSB Pro program and adjusted the max number in Data Horizon, but when I went to download data under Data Download, the max number of downloaded bars is still capped at 100,000.  And I confirmed that my original data contains 300,000 lines or bars of data.  Please see screenshot of my adjustment, and please let me know what I missed.  Thank you!

Post's attachments

SettingIllustration.JPG 98.24 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I went to download data under Data Download, the max number of downloaded bars is still capped at 100,000.

This is correct. The Data Download Service provides up to 100 000 bars. It was already explained on this topic.

18 (edited by magiksxw 2018-06-03 14:57:37)

Thank you for the update!

So data download is capped at 100 000 bars no matter what settings I adjust?  If so, then what do the updates in the system data source file and Data Horizon do?

You can upload files with million data bars from MetaTrader.

Thank you Mr. Popov, I figured it out, it works now!

Hello Popov,

Is the maximum bar to import only limited to 1,000,000 or can we do more than that? My M1 data was about 4.8 Million and it was cut to 1,000,000 although I edited the data source file to 5,000,000.

It must be able to load 5mil bars. However FSB Pro is more productive with a lower amount of bars.

Popov wrote:

It must be able to load 5mil bars. However FSB Pro is more productive with a lower amount of bars.

supposing the data set is 1mil bars... means it would be more beneficial to use 50k bars for generation and 950k bars for walk forward, rather than 500k bars for generation and 500k bars for walk forward?

24 (edited by Alishafi 2020-09-06 04:52:47)

Hello Popov,

I've just downloaded the software, started to use it, and join this great forum today. I see everybody are discussing about removing data bars limitations. I agree that we need to have access to significant amount of data (maybe around 35000 bars on M15 & M5 based on your experience) to develop a strategy. However, whenever I try to export  bars data from my broker by using "Export Data to CSV" script, it barely export more than 19000 for 1Min char and consequently lesser bars data on larger time frames. Also, it does not collect any data on weekly time frame. I would appreciate if you please advise.

I see everybody are discussing about removing data bars limitations.

I'm, working on a new FSB Pro release now and will expand the default limitations. However, I'm doing that only because the users want. I found out that importing 200 000 bars requires about 1.5 GB of RAM for one period.

it barely exports more than 19000 for 1Min

It looks like your broker provides that many bars for this symbol. with teh time, your MT will collect more bars.

Also, it does not collect any data on weekly time frame.

You may modify the script to collect weekly bars, however, what is the point of doing that. Do you want to run experts on Weekly charts?

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Remove Data Bars Limitations