Re: FSB Wish List - Requested features

Add Monthly and weekly profit analysis stat

1- Average monthly profits
2- Monthly sharp Ratio

also they can be a strong filter tools , lets say Strategy with No -ve month also Monthly sharp ratio comparison with annualized sharp ratio will find a strong reliable smooth equity curve

i think it will be a nice addition

The optimizer list of criteria is missing Sharpe Ratio and a couple others so it does not give results of the same quality as the tester.

Is it possible that these could be included.?

Thanks

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

How do new indicators get added to the FSB file? I would like see the following Indicators as part of the list.

HMA_V2   FX_Fish_Mod  and Zig Zag  Indicators added.

Thanks
99zxc

I develop the strategy on let's say 20 000 bars and i request minimum of  1000 trades,
However whe ni optimize it on let's say 100 000 bars i can't increase the minimum of trades to 5 000.
That's why it would be good to specify minimum average amount of trades per 1 000 bars or per month or per day.
So e.g. average 1 trade for each 15 bars

Hey gang,

I love this software! It just keeps assembling great entry and exit strategies!

What I'd really like to have now is trade management modules that can override parts of the Strategy Properties window with things like...

1. Trailing and Jumping stoploss. Just in case, I'll explain what I mean...

Trailing Stoploss is MT4's standard trailing stop... It is managed and monitored on the client side only, (server knows nothing about it).

Jumping Stoploss is managed by the client, and monitored/executed by the server. When current price is 2 * JumpingStop Pips away from an order's current stoploss, the client sends an OrderModify request, increasing the stoploss value by JumpingStop Pips, thereby locking in some your profit, just in case you lose connection to the server.

I tend to use both, set to the same value, and only executed after break-even.

2. Scaling in or out, based on momentum indicators, rather than "Same Direction Signal" and "Opposite Direction Signal"

To give you an example of what you could do with this, I'll tell you about a little trade/scale-in manager that I'm trying to put together in mql4, (I say "trying" because I can't code, I just copy, paste, and edit until it does what I want).

Since it's late here, and my brain is addled from working in a very noisy environment, I'll be lazy with the numbers...

First trade has an initial SL of 25 pips, Breakeven of 25 pips, (I actually move the stoploss a couple of pips into profit when PA reaches the break-even point, so, BreakEvenProfit of 2 pips), and a Jumping+Trailing stop of 25 pips.

When price has moved 50 pips from my current stoploss, the trade management routine modifies the order, increasing the stoploss by 25 pips, then it calls on a routine that tests whether there's enough momentum to add another trade... If there's not enough momentum, it goes back to the start, and waits for the next opportunity to jump the stoploss another 25 pips.

If there's enough momentum, it goes to the scale-in routine.

One of the inputs to the EA allows me to set how much of my locked-in profit (OrderStopLoss - OrderOpenPrice, converted to dollars) that I want to risk, 1 = All, 2 = half, 3 = 1/3, etc. Since I always start a run with the minimum lot-size (0.01 lots), and I"m only willing to risk half of my locked-in profit, I'll have to wait until my JumpingStoploss has jumped twice.

Ok, so my stoploss has jumped twice, and I'm ready to scale-in... Scale-in trades have an initial SL of 27 pips (so it's hiding behind the winner's SL), Breakeven of 25 pips, BreakEvenProfit of 2 pips, and a Jumping+Trailing stop of 25 pips, and, initially, they are the same lot-size as the first trade of the run.

If I've gotten in early on a big move, and I've set my stops right, I can very quickly double the lot-size of scale-in trades, whilst still only risking half of my locked-in profit, and then double again after only 2 or 3 more jumps, (and again... and again...).

So, as you can see, if you generate a good trend trading strategy, lock it, then add this style of trade/scale-in management, you've got yourself quite a winner smile

Have fun!

Radar  =8^)

One thing you can do is use MPTM in the meantime along with FST/FSB in order to have all of these features, a few of us are doing that. There are several free trade managers to accomplish similar.

Using trade manager features when testing a strategy can skew the results badly, in a way is best to not incorporate such features in strategy development.

MPTM  !!!!  it should be one of the main tasks of FSB to implement TM am i right?

in my opinion MPTM ea  for traders whom donot use a good software like FSB !!

I think there is going to be an addon facility built in at some time and the trade management may well be better situated as an add on so as not to limit the main program. There is already available a few features for trade management and I wonder if trade management would be  complex and therefor slow down the program and also skew the results considerably.

We actually want a program to develop a strategy, and then perhaps add some bells and whistles, and not hide bad trades with big results at the end of a run

Hey Blaiserboy,

Blaiserboy wrote:

One thing you can do is use MPTM in the meantime along with FST/FSB in order to have all of these features, a few of us are doing that. There are several free trade managers to accomplish similar.

I use MPTM quite a lot now, but it doesn't have scale-in options, and I doubt that it ever will. sad

Using trade manager features when testing a strategy can skew the results badly, in a way is best to not incorporate such features in strategy development.

Which is why I said, "So, as you can see, if you generate a good trend trading strategy, lock it, then add this style of trade/scale-in management, you've got yourself quite a winner"

As it is, trade management is already part of each strategy that is generated, using "Same Direction Signal" and "Opposite Direction Signal", and it is usually part of any strategy developed by hand.

The way I see it, entry and exit conditions are the beginning and end of a book... It's how the trades are managed that tells the story of a strategy's success or failure.

That being said, the best way to do it would be...

1. Generate an entry & exit strategy with with SL, BE, and a trailing and/or jumping stop, no scale-in or scale-out, and no TP.

2. Lock all settings.

3. Generate management strategies for that entry/exit strategy, and use the most successful one that you're comfortable with.

Have fun!

Radar  =8^)

I have a couple strategies that do fairly well although they are probably simplistic compared to advanced strategies

Blaiserboy wrote:

I have a couple strategies that do fairly well although they are probably simplistic compared to advanced strategies

I prefer simple, otherwise, my head hurts wink

Have fun!

Radar  =8^)

May pop you add a new function to indicators core functions which is '' new type of shifts ''  !!!

The regular shift is a numerical shift which use the number of bars shifts  which is ok  but limited , the new type of shift is the occurrence shift  in my opinion this logic will strength sfb alot and will open the scoop to a completely new types of strategies

this type of shift can work with '' top bootom , fractal , ZZ .... and any indicator shows pivot points''turning points'' 

Using that type of shifts we can compare current price with old fractals or even we can compare new fractals with old fractals 

NB : i used donchian channels shift but its not the same concept

Any comments !!!

Regards

(I've posted this elsewhere but this is right place smile

Dear friends
I'm really impressed by the quality of FSB!! I like it very much.
I have a few ideas to improve it, so I welcome any comments on them:

- Backtesting with v-fold cross validation. Backtesting is one of the most important stages of a strategy development. So far I haven't found any program capable of performing a so-called v-fold cross-validation. FSB is already good in what it provides (OOS tests), but it's not enough to prevent over-fitting. I think the best way is to divide the entire period under analysis into x periods of equal size (the "folds") - for example, divide 1 year into 12 months - each period then being divided into a training and test samples. A separate optimization would be carried out for each of the folds. The best system can then be selected using different criteria. A good one is calculating a sort of risk factor such as average CAGR / [GSD of each period's equity growth], or average CAGR / average drawdawn. Systems with very poor performance in just one month could also be filtered out. This method is very powerful and is used is many statistical packages (but not those with applications related to the stock market).

- Work works well lately. Another interesting backtesting possibility would be this "WWWL". It is in my view a mistake to optimize systems with long datasets spanning through years and years. This is because structural economic conditions change (eg bull vs bear markets), or more simply because a currency or equity may move from a sideways movement into a trend period. When we optimize a large dataset we are basically optimizing our system for the most common price pattern. So the system will perform well under certain conditions and badly under others. My idea is to optimize the system every month and use the optimized parameters as inputs for the next month, and so on. The backtest would therefore be a combination of several small backtests, but all would be done in one go. This is contradictory with my previous idea; this system would clearly be over-fitted, but with some changes it could be a neat feature.

- Do we need so many indicators? I'm not sure about the need to include so many indicators. Would it be possible to make a pre-selection of the less correlated ones in order to increase the efficiency of strategy generation?

Thanks
Nuno

If you get a chance, read through all of the documentation so as to know about the tools within the software.

You can block out whichever indicators you do not want to use under 'Indicators' on the generator screen.

I think that as you use the forum more and more and read the documentation you will find that there are some very skilled users commenting and contributing their ideas as to how to get the best out of this software...

Spend the time to read their posts.

There is a new property of the indicators: IsGeneratable . It tells FSB whether to use this indicator in Generator or not. You can use the set of original indicators and to put IsGeneratable = false; to all you don't want to be used by the Generator. Put these indicators in  Indicators folder and day will override the included in the distribution.

Example from LotLimiter source code:

using ForexStrategyBuilder.Infrastructure.Entities;
using ForexStrategyBuilder.Infrastructure.Enums;
using ForexStrategyBuilder.Infrastructure.Interfaces;

namespace ForexStrategyBuilder.Indicators.Store
{
    public class LotLimiter : Indicator
    {
        public LotLimiter()
        {
            IndicatorName = "Lot Limiter";
            PossibleSlots = SlotTypes.OpenFilter;
            IsDeafultGroupAll = true;
            IsGeneratable = false;   // <------------------------------

IndicatorAuthor = "Miroslav Popov";
            IndicatorVersion = "2.0";
            IndicatorDescription = "Bundled in FSB distribution.";
        }

public override void Initialize(SlotTypes slotType)
        {
            SlotType = slotType;

hello i have some Qs :

Q1: min number of trades is is it for the whole period including OOS period !!!

Q2: ''Filter bad oss & Filter non linear pattern'' donot grantee a good trusted trad-able strategy , Attached two strategies curves using both filters on  !!!

I have an idea as a solution and i donot know if it is applicable or not  which is : compare the two parts of the curve before oss mark and after it to guarantee that the the past results ''before oss mark'' the same or comparable to the newest results ''after the oss mark''

Post's attachments

curve.png
curve.png 21.46 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Q1: min number of trades is is it for the whole period including OOS period !!

Yes. it is.
All criteria are relevant for the whole data set.
When using OOS, FSB makes full backtest and calculates all stats as usual. The difference is that it takes the OOS Balance value instead of Net Balance.

Hi All,

Sort of new to the forum but not that new to FSB & FST. Many thanks for them, great tools, even more than that. Actually, there is one thing that we could use with our live/demo trading and I can't seem to find it in the package, a spread filter-type of solution being incorporated. What I mean by that is some brokers use dynamic spreads depending on the actual market conditions and characteristics (major news events, natural disasters etc.) My broker for example widens the spread to as much as 25 pips during NFP announcement and similar high-impact reports for a few minutes, no need to explain what damage can these make to the running trades.
This feature of course cannot be used with standard backtesting but would definitely be a nice addition to any generated strategies.

Thanks,
G

HeavyG wrote:

Hi All,

Sort of new to the forum but not that new to FSB & FST. Many thanks for them, great tools, even more than that. Actually, there is one thing that we could use with our live/demo trading and I can't seem to find it in the package, a spread filter-type of solution being incorporated. What I mean by that is some brokers use dynamic spreads depending on the actual market conditions and characteristics (major news events, natural disasters etc.) My broker for example widens the spread to as much as 25 pips during NFP announcement and similar high-impact reports for a few minutes, no need to explain what damage can these make to the running trades.
This feature of course cannot be used with standard backtesting but would definitely be a nice addition to any generated strategies.

Thanks,
G

Sorta like 'if spread > 6 then no trading'...?  I think that filter could be incorporated into FST.

HeavyG wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks,
G

Hey G,

I coded a spread limiter a while back, it's an indicator.

Let me find the link,

here it is http://forexsb.com/forum/post/14805/#p14805

It's FST only, set it up and off it goes.

Thanks for this lads, I'll give it a go and see how it is working together with FST.
The reason I posted the request for the add-on is that I couldn't find anything similar either in the indicators section of the package or a word of it in the manual. The strategy I'm currently forward testing is quite a promising one, the only problem with it is the unfortunate effect of news releases (this is my broker's policy only so certainly doesn't apply to all of us).

Cheers,
G

HeavyG wrote:

Thanks for this lads, I'll give it a go and see how it is working together with FST.
The reason I posted the request for the add-on is that I couldn't find anything similar either in the indicators section of the package or a word of it in the manual. The strategy I'm currently forward testing is quite a promising one, the only problem with it is the unfortunate effect of news releases (this is my broker's policy only so certainly doesn't apply to all of us).

Cheers,
G

I am glad you mentioned this as I had not seen Footon's creation. Thanks!

Blaiserboy wrote:

If you get a chance, read through all of the documentation so as to know about the tools within the software.

You can block out whichever indicators you do not want to use under 'Indicators' on the generator screen.

I think that as you use the forum more and more and read the documentation you will find that there are some very skilled users commenting and contributing their ideas as to how to get the best out of this software...

Spend the time to read their posts.

Thanks blaiserboy. I already know well the program, and as I said it's really great. My suggestion in terms of v-fold backtesting however is quite important and it's probably still the less developed part of the program. I know it's difficult and it takes time, but don't presume I haven't checked the documentation before.

Could you add time meter beside calculations meter

most of time i notice that the calculation speed get slow after long time of generator work   , having the time meter will be a good measure to see if this slow process is actual or fake one

also it will help us to know if the no. of calculations  correlated with the increase of tested bars and if this correlation is the same across all machines or not

Regards

Post's attachments

seconds.png
seconds.png 2.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

It will be nice if we have right left arrows in chart to go to next trade or previous trade

Post's attachments

jumb trades.png
jumb trades.png 15.57 kb, file has never been downloaded.