forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Express Generator → Express Generator vs EA Studio BUG?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Express Generator vs EA Studio BUG?

Express Generator V2.45
EA Studio 23.7.31

I have been learning to use Express Generator this past week and have found what looks like a Bug, either that or I am not doing something correctly.  The following three images will help to explain the problem I am having.

After running the Express Generator I get the following collection.  Everything is working fine at this point.  Next,  I will load this collection into EA Studio.

https://i.ibb.co/42LkzDQ/Express-Generator.jpg

The following image shows I have uploaded the collection into EA Studio.  I have used the Upload button shown to the right in the image to do this.  I have selected to use strategy ID 888.2.  Note the Net Profit, Profit Factor, etc is the same in both the Express Generator and EA Studio.  So far so good!  Next comes the issue or problem I have found.

https://i.ibb.co/ryxQ3R9/EA-Studio-1.jpg

When I click on the strategy ID 888.2 above so I can look at its indicators, TP, SL, and statistics.  The following image is what I get.  Note that I am keeping the same start and end dates.  Notice the balance chart has changed from a winning strategy to a losing strategy.  What Happened!!! 

https://i.ibb.co/Bq9pmWh/EA-Studio-2.jpg

When I create a collection of strategies using EA Studio instead of Express Generator and follow this same process, I don’t get this change in the balance chart from a winning strategy to a losing strategy, I get the same balance chart.  There is either a bug somewhere or I am doing something wrong!

2 (edited by Alann 2023-08-14 21:07:18)

Re: Express Generator vs EA Studio BUG?

Problem solved!

https://i.ibb.co/QFX3gm1/Problem-Solved-image.png

What can I change in the source code to make this change?

Alann wrote:

What can I change in the source code to make this change?

Ah, that makes sense! You shouldn't need to edit any source code though. Make a copy of \bin\gen.settings.ini to the previous level folder (because anything in \bin gets overwritten on every update), call it something like generate.ini for example and customize it to your liking. Reference that file every time you run your generate command with "--settings generate.ini" in your start script, etc.

I have use_data_end and use_trade_start set to false. I do have use_data_start set to true of course. But then I use data_start (and sometimes data_end if doing in and out of sample periods). I use something like data_start -1095 if I want the last three years to today, instead of a specific date, so it's a rolling period every time I start the generator. Or if I wanted two of the last three years ago for in sample and exclude the last year I could do data_start -1095 and data_end -365, etc. I prefer it over specific dates.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  Also I was not very clear about the source code.  I was referring to the source code for the EA.  I was wondering what I need to change in the EA source code so I could fix the problem so I could go ahead and use the EA.  I searched through the EA source code but did not find any code referring to changing the year from 2023 to 2018.  So evidently the year is coded differently and I don't recognize it.

Alan,

Alann wrote:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  Also I was not very clear about the source code.  I was referring to the source code for the EA.  I was wondering what I need to change in the EA source code so I could fix the problem so I could go ahead and use the EA.  I searched through the EA source code but did not find any code referring to changing the year from 2023 to 2018.  So evidently the year is coded differently and I don't recognize it.

Alan,

There wouldn't be any reference to a start or end date in the EA itself, it just runs if you attach it to a chart. It's only when backtesting it in EA studio or Express Generator that there would be start and end dates for either data or trades.

I added "use_start_trade" parameter in Express Generator to validate a strategy for a shorter period without cutting the actual historical data.

We don't have such a parameter in EA Studio yet.

As Aaron said, the "use_start_trade" parameter does not change the trading logic of the Expert. It is simply a flag that says to Express Generator when to start the trading.

I'm thinking about how to add it in EA Studio also.

About how it works,
Please see the last (rising) part of the chart in EA Studio. It corresponds to the balance chart of Express Generator.
Actually, the Express Generator executes only the last 158 trades.

You can imitate similar behaviour in EA Studio by using the "Data start limit" options in Data Horizon. If you do it, please use an earlier date of several days.

7 (edited by Alann 2023-08-17 01:17:50)

Thanks!

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Express Generator → Express Generator vs EA Studio BUG?