Re: Users' Questions and Answers

I have the following questions:

1. Is there a way to program myself a stategy without using the graphical interface (as in MetaTrader)?

2. How can I make a strategy open/close a position at specific time (for example 9 pm)?

3. How can I modify the stop of an pending/open order if certain conditions are met?

A: 1. No, You have to use the strategy slots and the indicator's parameters dialog.

A: 2. At the moment you cannot. A time filter will be added soon.

A: 3. Once set in the "Close" slots, the stop orders concerns all the entry orders. They cannot be modified dynamically (if understand your question).

Hm, these constrains limit a lot of my strategies. Are there an editor (as in MetaTrader) and an API planned for the future realeases?

I do not have plans for publishing a script editor for now.
If you want something special, please, describe its logic or formula and I'll see is it possible it to be included into the visual interface.

I am so mixed up with this software. However, it may be very helpful.
The question is: How can I choose a time period for testing. For example from 10.04.2007 to 20.06.2007?
From where I can add an initial deposit and can the software calculate the final finance result?

A solution is:

[Opening logic condition]
Date Filter
     Do not use data before
     Year  -  2007
     Month  -  4

Date Filter
     Do not use data after
     Year  -  2007
     Month  -  7

You can use the Data Bars Filter also.

A Data Horizon tool will be provided soon. It will load a part of the data file only.

When you set the starting moment leave some bars for the indicators calculation (example: MA20 needs 20

bars to calculate its first value)

Forex Strategy Builder calculates the strategy using Lots and Pips. Its purpose is to show you the pattern

of the chart.

Some kind of money management will be added later. (It is not a priority for the moment)

Question by Paul

Hello
The strategies I use imply some of these situations:
-knowing if Close of the previous bar is higher (ore lower) than open
-knowing what is the range of the previous bar
-entering on a time other the open of the bar (for example if Last price of the bar
is greater (or lower) then the High (Low) of the previous bar
-using the cross over of EMA, one 21 periods of Close an one 20 periods of Open
Can Forex Strategy Builder help me?
Thanks,
Paul

A

Hello, Paul!
This is easy to be done with FSB.

1.  Knowing if Close of the previous bar is higher (ore lower) than open

Open of this or of previous bar?
a)    If it is Open of this bar, that means we are looking for a gap.

Moving Average
     The bar opens above the MA value
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

b)    If it is Opening price of previous bar we need:

Moving Average
     The bar opens above the MA value
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Open
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  1
     Use previous bar value  -  No

This logic allows long entry if the previous bar is a white one
(The current version of FSB does not calculate ?Shift? when the ?Period? = 1. This will be fixed at the beginning of August.)

2. You can use ?Donchian Channel? to represent the range of previous bar.

3. For entering above / below the previous High / Low - ?Donchian Channel?.

Example:
Open long at the Closing price if it is above the previous Highest price (short at the Closing price if it is below the previous Low)

[Opening point of the position]
Bar Closing
     Enter the market at the end of the bar
     Base price  -  Close

Donchian Channel
     The position opens above the Up Band
     Base price  -  High & Low
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  1
     Use previous bar value  -  No

4. Using the cross over of EMA, one 21 periods of Close an one 20 periods of Open

FSB can compare two MA based on same price (on the Open or on the Close Price).
The easiest way is ?Moving Averages Crossover? (FSB 2.5.1.2)

Moving Averages Crossover
     The Fats MA crosses the Slow MA upward
     Base price  -  Close
     Fast MA method  -  Simple
     Slow MA method  -  Simple
     Fast MA period  -  13
     Slow MA period  -  21
     Fast MA shift  -  0
     Slow MA shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

Browse the forum for different ways.

Hi!  I'm a new user and I want to learn. I don't have much time, but I'm really interested. I hope you can help me with some important tips.

Load  the demo strategies and read the Overview.

Q: Hello,

First, I would like to thank you for all the great indicator's here.  However, when I am attempting to convert the indicators via the html (you have posted) into my MetaEditor I keep getting the same message's when attempting to compile.........

TOO LONG VARIABLE NAME

Please advise

All the indicators listed in the "Indicators Source" Page are written in C++. They cannot be directly placed in MT. Meta Trader uses his own programming language MQL4.

We provide the indicators' source code to show you the logic and the formulas.

Q:  Hello -
I am using forex strategy builder to backtest some strategies. I use the generator function but it is always adding indicators (building strategies) to my strategies. Can I use sb to just backtest a strategy without adding or enhancing them?

Thanks!

Dear user,
Forex Strategy Builder is designed to backtest forex strategies. To do a backtest it is not necessary to use the Generator tool. Simply set the strategy slots and the program instantly shows you the backtest charts, statistics, overview...

Strategy Generator improves a strategy or generates a new one.

If you want to improve the strategy performance without changing the logic or indicators, you can use Optimizer tool. It optimizes the numeric parameters of the indicators.

Also, you can "Lock" the Strategy Generator settings individually by mouse clicking on the locks in the upper left banner above each strategy to keep them from changing while generating additional strategy settings.

Cogito Ergo Sum

Hi, I'm #####. I've just downloaded your forex strategy tester and have found it to be rather useful.
I do have a question, however, in regards to the technical indicator shown on http://forexsb.com/library/source/Cumulative_Sum.html. I can't seem to add this particular indicator into the metaquotes language editor in mt4.
Is there a special way to do it or is it just not a metaquotes language source code?

Regards
#####

Hello,
The indicators of Forex Strategy Builder are written in C# language. You cannot put it directly in MT4. MT uses MQL4 programming language. If you want to use this indicators you have to rewrite them in MQL. Most of the indicators are standard and you can easily find more info about them or even MQL code.

If you have additional questions about the formula or the logic rules , I'll try to answer.

Regards

Когда я перевожу xml в mql4 и комплитирую пишется три ошибки
'2.8.2.1' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (4, 20)
'01.04.2009' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (16, 46)
'03.04.2009' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (16, 116)

EN: (edited)
When I enter the strategy xml in mql4 and I compile I get the following errors:
'2.8.2.1' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (4, 20)
'01.04.2009' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (16, 46)
'03.04.2009' - invalid number    E:\Програми\trader\experts\The best!.mq4 (16, 116)

Well, you cannot just copy and paste the xml code into the expert advisor and expect the strategy to run since the codes are different. You need to use mql4 language to enter strategies into the EA editor in the Meta Trader.

I must know Mql4 language? to enter strategy into mql4 ?:o

Copperfield wrote:

I must know Mql4 language? to enter strategy into mql4 ?

That is the way MT works.

Hello,
The strategy that I mentioned earlier will show a profit on the backtest of SFB.
However, this same strategy, scheduled for MT4, gives a totally different result.
The same data file was used, so exactly the same period.
The Bollinger Bands and MACD Histogram are configured identically.
The only difference is that FSB truncating the data to 4 digits while MT4 uses 5 digits after the decimal point ...
Question: Are you aware of such problems?
What is the solution?
How to explain ...
Thank you!
Best regards,

The only difference is that FSB truncating the data to 4 digits while MT4 uses 5 digits after the decimal point ...

That is not true.

FSB as well as MT use double variables. The precision is till 21st digit I think.   

If you press F12 when you are on the chart, you will see 10 digits after the decimal point.

This topic was widely discussed in the MQL4 forum before. There aren't any difference in the calculations when the other conditions are equal. 

The problem must be other.

Hello. I just downloaded it, but it seems I can't find "line chart" option. Is there that option? If there is, please direct me to it. Thank you.

remulus wrote:

Hello. I just downloaded it, but it seems I can't find "line chart" option. Is there that option? If there is, please direct me to it. Thank you.

Only candlestick charts are available.

Hello
i received this error msg when uppdating price from my broker MT4 platform
is that means that the bars will be different from bars in my MT4 platform ?

http://s3.postimage.org/aGJvJ.jpg

hello friends,
im new here and i have some problems with the key in of my self EA....i saw, that i can entry all by " OPENIN POINT OF THE POSITION" for entry...but WHERE...i can entry price...example:

i work with the ma200 like entry....and i want to entry in the markt...when the price corss the price...top down=short....bottom-up= long

or have somebody a similar example?

how do i do that??

regards from switzerland

...when the price cross MA200... ;-)

PS: sorry for my english

hello hello,

when i make a backtest in the fsb..."Strategy Panel"...i key in my things....and when i go to the generator...it open a new windows...and he calculate...but in the new window its changed ale OPofthPsition and all logic to...why the programm do that?