Topic: GPU compatibility

Hi,

I know this has been covered in posts back in 2013/2014 but I was wondering if things have changed since the last post and if it was possible to use a GPU for FSB Pro? 

I thought a GPU would be quite useful for helping the generator create more strategies faster so I bought one for my computer but FSB Pro (demo) doesn't seem to be utilising the graphics card.

If the use of a graphics card is not supported I guess will have to get a better CPU big_smile

Thanks,

Re: GPU compatibility

The strategy backtest requires sequential calculations on big data series. This works best on CPU with higher frequency.

On the other hand, the GPU is optimized for multiple parallel calculations on minimal or no data.

For example, if you have a list of data like [1, 2, 3, ... n] and you want to find a list of doubled numbers like [2, 4, 6, ... 2*n], it is virtually possible to run n parallel processes to calculate the complete set. This may work well in GPU. However, if we want to calculate a Moving Average of a data series, we have to do it bar by bar because each MA value depends on the previous MA value. We have limited resources to make concurrent calculations. Such a task works best in CPU. Of course, FSB Pro uses multithreading where it is possible and practical. 

You can use any machine for FSB Pro and EA Studio successfully. The knowledge, the experience, and dedication are much more important than the CPU or GPU performance.

Mr Popov... About making faster optimizations / generations of strategies... If GPU calculations is not the better choice, could be possible in future to use an "Agent" (like Meta Trader 5) that allows to use the CPU's of another machine/s connected to a Local Area Network, so with several machines calculations will be faster?

Sorry for my bad english. sad

FSB Pro can utilize all cores of your CPU. You can buy an AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ CPU with 64 cores and make it running 64 times "faster". Please try and report the result.

I have an old machine with AMD processor. seems to do ok with FSBPro or 4 browsers.

I have a rebuilt machine  with old I-5 and it does ok with 8 browsers, depending on the number of bars I am working with at the time.

I have not seen the need to upgrade, overnight these things turn out a ton of work, I rarely have to run anything for more than 6 or 8 hours to get what I need.

I try to keep track of what might make up something I want.... and then explore the possibilities.

I am not so sure that brute force will give good results.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....