1 (edited by mw 2019-01-21 22:07:25)

Topic: Non-standard timeframes

Dear Mr. Popov,

Is there a way that EAS could use non-standard timeframe data (M47 for instance) for strategy generation and generate mql code that would trade on such non-standard timeframes?

Metatrader can create non-standard offline charts with a script, but have no idea how to transform that into usable data for EAS and if the resultant mq4 would be usable in MT for trading.

Thanks in advance,

mw

Re: Non-standard timeframes

EA Studio and FSB Pro work with the standard time frames. The period length is used in various places in the algorithms and cannot be changed. I actually don't imagine how custom periods may work if the period length doesn't fit in a 24 hour period.

Understood. Wasn't really a vital feature for me, but it would have been a nice thing to have in order to do some experimenting.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

mw

It´s extremely complicated to that in MT4 (you could, but via an emulated offline-chart only which is rather whacky as well). Other platforms like Tradestation / Multicharts support this without problems, that is why other trading-strategy-generators support custom timeframes. It´s not for MT4 though.

geektrader wrote:

It´s extremely complicated to that in MT4 (you could, but via an emulated offline-chart only which is rather whacky as well). Other platforms like Tradestation / Multicharts support this without problems, that is why other trading-strategy-generators support custom timeframes. It´s not for MT4 though.

Hi Geektrader,

I certainly agree. MT4 is far from perfect, but they were lucky enough to create a monopoly that keeps competitors away (oddly enough, their own MT5)

BTW, thank you for your powerful insights, reading your posts have made me -and lots of others, I guess-a better trader.

With best regards,

mw