forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Help and Support → Best method and broker to live demo?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Best method and broker to live demo?

Hello folks,

I'm curious as to how others do their demoing and what broker they use.  I have been using LMFX as there are no FIFO rules but it's been a pain. 

Does everyone use 1 demo account and just add every EA/Portfolio to that?  I prefer to have 1 portfolio to 1 demo account so i can see how each is doing while demoing and I can have an accurate trade history and balance with no noise from other portfolios in it.  I am finding it's a little annoying to run multiple copies of the LMFX MT4 open at once but it works for what it does.

Thanks
Dan

Re: Best method and broker to live demo?

A different Demo account for each portfolio?  I do NOT think that is what most people are doing -- at least, that's not the way I work.

Over time you'll be creating and testing 100's of portfolios.  Do you really want to keep track of 100's of Demo accounts?

Also, some brokers may place a limit on the number of Demo accounts you can create.  They may also place a time limit -- e.g. 1 month, 3 months -- and then the Demo account is deleted (along with all your historical data) -- which happened to me recently.

There are a few ways I can think of to limit the noise from other portfolios and strategies:
1. Choose your magic numbers wisely and then use Account History's sort facility.
2. Run a portfolio for a week and use Account History's 'Custom Period' to filter-out older strategies by specifying the date range a particularly portfolio was actively trading.
3. And there are probably scripts and indicators available that allow you to select a particular range of magic numbers for analysis.  Even if you are not a programmer -- this would be easy to code and could serve as a good first project.

And there may be other ways to roughly achieve what you are looking for.  Since you probably shouldn't be spending that much time in a Demo account -- after all, it's just a sandbox that only approximates real trading -- then it seems that creating a Demo account for each portfolio is way overkill.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Help and Support → Best method and broker to live demo?