Topic: ATR Trailing stop+Ichimoku: Kumo

I have few more questions (I am new to FSB, so maybe those things are obvious things to you - sorry!):

Firstly, the ATR trailing stop does not work as foreseen on some data - in the bar in which it should actually close it shows a much lower value than on the surrounding bars. Therefore it does not work as SL. I think the issue is the data, but I do not see what is not OK with this - it looks OK on the chart, and other indicators (that I have used, at least) work OK. What is wrong?  I attach a data file.

Then, I would like to use as an Opening logic condition "the previous bar closed above Kumo" (from Ichimoku). But then, if the position is closed on a SL, but the index is still above Kumo (as is often the case), it just re-opens in the next bar. How can I enter condition "re-open only if the previous bar closed above Kumo after closing below or in Kumo / OR if it made a new high after the SL"?

Post's attachments

DAXIND1440.csv 255.45 kb, 10 downloads since 2017-08-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: ATR Trailing stop+Ichimoku: Kumo

As regards ATR: it works as Closing Point, but not as a Closing Condition (see the strategies below).

And one more quesiton: even if I want to enter, say, long only, in the strategy description there is a difference between Long and Long+Short (although Short is "0" in all cases). Is it because "Long+Short" accounts for charges, slippages etc., which "Long" does not? if not, what is the reason?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Post's attachments

diference.docx 268.73 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-08-31 

... and strategy 1

Post's attachments

ATR1-example.xml 14.55 kb, 3 downloads since 2017-08-31 

4 (edited by tezas 2017-08-31 15:25:28)

... and 2 (note different use of ATR trailing stop for closure).

Post's attachments

ATR2-example.xml 14.55 kb, 3 downloads since 2017-08-31 

... and 2 (note different use of ATR trailing stop for closure).

Hmm, those are identical, I can't see no difference.

ATR trailing stop does not work as foreseen on some data - in the bar in which it should actually close it shows a much lower value than on the surrounding bars. Therefore it does not work as SL.

Can you explain better, maybe with screenshots what you mean? How it is supposed to work in your opinion?

How can I enter condition "re-open only if the previous bar closed above Kumo after closing below or in Kumo / OR if it made a new high after the SL"?

The short answer is you can't. FSB entry methods are not so complex. Custom indi approach won't work either because position info is not available.

I would like to use as an Opening logic condition "the previous bar closed above Kumo"

You can use "The position opens above Kumo" logic in Ichi M indi, it might be close enough what you're looking for.

As regards ATR: it works as Closing Point, but not as a Closing Condition

Are you referring to ATR Trailing Stop? Its closing conditions are:
"The bar closes below the Stop Line",
"The bar closes above the Stop Line"

Works like a charm.
https://s26.postimg.org/wa9ij2wsl/bal.jpg

6 (edited by tezas 2017-09-01 17:31:33)

I would expect it to close when the price gets below (L) or above (S) Trailing ATR Stop. I upload again strategy 2., as the one uploaded is not correct, and a file with screenshots of both startegies. Please see that (on the same data, and everything else being the same) the strategies behave differently if there is a/ Closing Point: ATR Trailing Stop, and b/ Closing Point: bar closing, Closing Condition: ATR Trailing Stop (which gives no closures on the same market).

Option a/, unlike b/ does not allow for additonal Closing Conditions, therefore it is not quite what I would like to test.

[I also note that on the Indicator Charts, in both cases, the ATR line drops inexplicably, although I see no error in the data file. Yet still Strategy No 1 closes].

Post's attachments

ATR2-example.xml 14.54 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-09-01 

... and the screenshots.

Post's attachments

ATR examples.docx 833.65 kb, 4 downloads since 2017-09-01 

First of all thank you for being persistent, I finally saw the problem and fixed it. The issue was I initially developed the indi with fx prices in mind, your data quotes are in 10000+ region and it threw it off track (indi value dropped to 1000). Now everything is working correctly.

the strategies behave differently if there is a/ Closing Point: ATR Trailing Stop, and b/ Closing Point: bar closing, Closing Condition: ATR Trailing Stop (which gives no closures on the same market).

Closing point and closing condition cannot produce exactly the same results! They are different in logic, therefore there's nothing wrong. Currently (after fixing) I don't see nothing wrong with closing either, everything works as it was designed

Option a/, unlike b/ does not allow for additonal Closing Conditions, therefore it is not quite what I would like to test.

FSB is built this way, nothing I can do unfortunately.

Find the fixed version in my corner here -> https://forexsb.com/forum/post/46113/#p46113
and try now. If you see some problems or questions arise, fire them away and I'll take a look.

Thank YOU! Now it works indeed in both cases. (I do understand the difference between these two closing strategies smile. )