forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Support & Resistance As An Indicator?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Support & Resistance As An Indicator?

What is the possibility of developing a Support & Resistance indicator?

(Note that I'm not asking for someone else to develop one...I have the potential to write it myself if I can conceptualize one. My programming skills are quite rusty, though, so it would certainly take some time.)

I'm not a fan of pivot points.

I've done extensive searches for S&R indicators. I've not actually used one. No available S&R is sufficient (and certainly none that can be used by EAs), but I believe there should be a way to create a decent one.

Below are a couple I've found; I'm posting them to share the ideas, not the indicators themselves.

The most interesting-looking one I've found is not usable by EAs:
http://www.pointzero-trading.com/Products/view/PZSupportResistance

This indicator attempts to calculate the relative importance of various S&R levels, combining those occurring at close proximity to each other (based upon a degree set by the user).

It also notes how old those levels are.

Here's another one that defines zones instead of specific levels:
https://www.fxtradingrevolution.com/supportresistance.html

Thoughts on the feasibility of incorporating these ideas into an EA-friendly indicator?

ThanX!
John

Re: Support & Resistance As An Indicator?

John, I'm too lazy and tired at the moment to research your links, post the source of those indis, if they are available. I'll then take a glance and can offer my opinion.

3 (edited by qattack 2017-08-14 15:59:11)

footon: The first costs $149.

The d/l link for the latter is:
https://www.fxtradingrevolution.com/upl … s_2.98.ex4

EAs cannot interact with either of them.

It's not these actual indicators with which I'm concerned; it's the viability of developing something similar into a usable indicator. Perhaps the ideas behind them are feasible, but not well-executed. (Don't know, as I haven't used them.)

Hmm, no human-readable sources available...

Well, basically and principally everything is possible. Regarding FSB, a very good understanding of how it has to be coded is needed, otherwise one can see many holy grails in backtesting only to find out that the indicator has critical errors. I think most who have done indis for FSB have experienced it at first. One cannot forget some limitations of FSB, it's important to keep things light calculation-wise.

In conclusion, yeah, it's possible, but the devil is in the details (like with most things).

Yes, the purpose of starting this thread was to discuss how it might be achieved (if at all).

The first hurdle would be to determine how S&R levels are selected.

The second would be how those levels would actually be implemented to simulate how manual traders use them.

I think there are many SR indis available to MT, so why not take one of those as a base example and development can go on from there. Usually porting mq4 to FSB is the easier way, developing one from scratch can be time-consuming task with quite many trials and errors.

Hi,
Maybe 3-4 years back I got involved in automated trading because I wanted to test so badly some strategy with your second link posted indicator. Manual testing with strategy looked so good! It is called SD (supply and demand, based on Sam Seiden teachings) indicator, and you can find it in forexfactory and various other places with some strategy and indicator variations. I learn some mql4 skills and tested it with mt4 and found no edge, and I tried it hard! smile Of course with some filters and fsb, if you dig deep enough something would pop up.

How I can remember that indicator takes swing high/lows values from Zigzag indicator and extends a little bit to get zone with "base" candles.

indicator takes swing high/lows values from Zigzag

Be careful with the ZigZag indicator. It repaints the history and shows highly overestimated results. All indicators that use ZigZag (Fibonacci, Support & Resistance, ...) are potentially dangerous also. 
I've heard for a none-repainting ZigZag, but I've never seen one working.

Popov wrote:

indicator takes swing high/lows values from Zigzag

Be careful with the ZigZag indicator. It repaints the history and shows highly overestimated results. All indicators that use ZigZag (Fibonacci, Support & Resistance, ...) are potentially dangerous also. 
I've heard for a none-repainting ZigZag, but I've never seen one working.

I should show you mine, I guess wink it must be in my old computer, maybe I can locate it. Non-repainting zigzag, but the main problem with it was lag. Other versions exist also, which are non-repainting or non-recalculating, i believe they use user-defined leg length, hence if that length is reached, the leg gets drawn without recalculation.

Some time ago was thinking about support/resistance indicator. My best choice would be to take nearly 2 swing highs or 2 swing lows. Level where price reversed. And you get a horizontal line/price what you can trade with different logic: reversal on that line; break out; break out pull back etc.

Also support resistance can be not only horizontal, it can be trendline drawn from 2 swing highs and lows. I am studying two resources who uses trend lines successfully : https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Pr … rds=volman
and https://www.youtube.com/user/PATsTrading . Not so sure if these manual trading methods can be programmed. However few trading setups using trendlines is pretty clear for me, but not taking context in mind can be dangerous. Probably (like always) there is only one chance to know if it works is to make it ant test smile

Ichimoku is support and resistance

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Can an indicator be created for lines to be drawn on a chart for x number of bars?

Is this not what a support and resistance line is?

Seems like we are sweating the simple stuff here.

We would then create pending orders which is then taken at within certain pips when price moves over S&R

The bigger question remains can FSBP place pending orders?

You can do what you discuss above.

FSB Pro uses pending orders internally when the entry indicators has two entry prices. Examples: Bollinger Bands, Price Move, Pivot Pints... You don't see the Pending Orders placed in MetaTrader because the experts keeps them internally and trade with market orders when the exact trading price is reached. This is done to reduce the MetaTrader's traffic and latency.

Ichimoku and Donchian both represent support and resistance

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Popov wrote:

You can do what you discuss above.

FSB Pro uses pending orders internally when the entry indicators has two entry prices. Examples: Bollinger Bands, Price Move, Pivot Pints... You don't see the Pending Orders placed in MetaTrader because the experts keeps them internally and trade with market orders when the exact trading price is reached. This is done to reduce the MetaTrader's traffic and latency.

I noticed this behavior as well, but I can tell you that order execution is faster with pending orders once their price is hit, as they already reside on the broker's server and are triggered there with 0 latency. If you do it with market orders, price first has to travel to you (few ms latency), EA has to check if the order needs to be placed (another few ms latency), then send the order to the broker (and more ms latency again). Market orders are always the slowest type of order execution because of the above explanation. Pending orders, on the other hand, reside directly within the broker's server already and are triggered much, much faster. How do I know this? I do work part-time for a well-known broker on their backend (MT4 bridge to their liquidity providers). Market orders always have a higher execution time (and hence more slippage) by a magnitude of about 10! Pending orders are filled within ~30ms, while market orders are filled within ~300ms. You should really consider making FSB use pending orders.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Support & Resistance As An Indicator?