Topic: Demo VS Real Trading

I have started my first week trading after several months building a consistency successful Expert Adviser and have not had the results I would like.

I have been running the demo account at the same time as the real account in order to view the comparisons. Both Expert Advisers opened trades at the different times (real slightly delayed due to using a broker), and the real EA only went long where as the demo used both short and long trades.

I am confused as to why the real would perform like that. There was only 5 real trades and 3 demo trades made so not too much information to go on but would like to try get ahead of this issues. Any suggestions would help.

Note: I also haven't paid a subscription or anything to FSB Pro, is that weird? I expected to have to pay when i transferred my EA to a Real Account but nothing.

Re: Demo VS Real Trading

First check for any error messages on the MT terminal.

Brokers use two separate servers for Real and for Demo accounts. Usually both servers receive data feed from one and the same liquidity provider (LP), but there is an substantial difference: the demo account only logs the deals and simulates positions. On the other hand the deals on the real account are executed by the LP (if the broker is STP). It is highly possible the broker to have different settings in the Real account server. If the broker is not fair, it can apply various "tricks" like delay in execution, requotes, slippage, preventing fast closing, skipping (moving) your SL/TP, manipulating the prices, higher spread, hidden commissions, markup charge, changing leverage...
These tricks are normally detectable and such brokers must be avoided. I don't say your broker is a "bad" guy, but it must not have difference between demo and real.

The second thing you have to do is to check the data for the bars where the trades differ. 

I also haven't paid a subscription or anything to FSB Pro, is that weird?

FSB works in the same way in trial, free and licensed modes. It cannot be the problem.

Thank you for your reply Popov. Very helpful.

I will look at changing broker as there are no error messages.

My demo trading was using the default LCG Demo Production. What broker would you suggest which will give the most similar results in your opinion?

What benefits will I receive if I was to pay subscription to ForexSB?

Thanks for your help.

Also,

Using the same Expert Advisor on the same time period & currency pair my Demo account is going short while my Real account is going long.

Very strange.

Thanks

Using the same Expert Advisor on the same time period & currency pair my Demo account is going short while my Real account is going long

Did you started the expert when there is no open position on the market?
Do the EAs show equal values on the left side of the MT chart?
Can you post screenshots from MT?

There various reasons for that and the main one is "too sensitive" indicators. It means that the indicators react on a very tinny change of the data. For example, if your indicator uses two MAs and their periods are very near, the difference between them will be in the 4th or the 5th digit. It makes the indicators unstable and unpredictable.

What benefits will I receive if I was to pay subscription to ForexSB?

- A license will let you using the Generator, Optimizer, Monte-Carlo, Multi Markets and Comparator tools after the trial license expires.
- You'll have access to the Premium Club for additional content and early access to the newest program version.
- You'll support the further development of the project.

Attached are screenshots of the Real EA

The Real has an open long trade whereas the demo is flat.

Post's attachments

Real.jpg 338.74 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-10-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Attached is a screenshot of the demo which doens't have an active trade.

The numbers on the left do have some differences.

What would you suggest to align the numbers in order to get similar results? Or at least similar positions on trades?

Thank you very much for your support. If this solves the problem I will definitely be subscribing to FSB to support the growth of this program.

Post's attachments

Demo.jpg 331.42 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-10-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

There is no problem for solving. The charts shows different data:

http://s28.postimg.org/wgim2x77t/screenshot_1236.jpg

I'm also not sure if the demo expert shows a smiley face.

If it so, go to MT options and set the "Allow automated trading" option:

http://s28.postimg.org/cn6ia7tu1/screenshot_1237.jpg

These are two different brokers with different liquidity providers and different time zones:

http://s28.postimg.org/3tflt46vd/screenshot_1238.jpg

Please use data from your real account for backtesting your strategies. This is the most reliable way.

Excellent. Thats very illuminating.

I did not consider at all the time zone and did not think the charts would vary so much.

A broker swap seems to be needed unless I want to backtest using my current broker. This will give me close to identical bars therefore results. Can you suggest a broker similar or give guidance on how to pick and what to look for in a broker to insure it is as close as possible to the demo.

I would like to change broker to one as identical as possible to my demo account.