Topic: Not connected - help!

I am trying to get this to work but I can't connect. I have looked at other solutions on the forum and tried them but I still can't connect.

I have two MT4 programs on my PC. One is SmartLiveMarkets and the other is a generic version that I use on an Alpari demo account. The EA has correctly placed its various parts in the correct folders. The EA appears greyed out in both cases and does not start when I drag and drop it or double click it. The journals report nothing at all when I try to use the EA. I don't use the two MT4 programs at the same time.

I have updated my .net4 and C++.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Not connected - help!

Try clicking on the expert name and choosing "Modify". The expert will be opened in the editor. Click the "Compile" button. 0 error(s), 0 warning(s) message should appear. After that, the expert must be active.

Thanks for the fast reply. I tried that but it still does not work. I note that the data and time of the compiled code does not change, should it?

Thanks

I am able to use three or four instances of Metatrader with FST, so multiple copies will not be the problem.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

What does it happen when you run the expert? Re there any messages?

Actually there is something on the experts tab, I didn't see it before:

Cannot open file 'C:\Program files\smart live spread bet MT4\experts\MT4-FST Expert.ex4' on the (fx pair and period)

If you can, make a screenshot of the Expert Advisor tab (tools->options).

http://s2.postimage.org/g8i5wpyc/mt4_fst_problem.jpg

i am wondering if you have the dll file in the right place...

I have it in experts/libraries with the megadroid dll. I used the file installer.

and you have this trouble only with FST expert? Other EA's are working ok?

Yes other EAs like megadroid are ok

This is very awkward, how many times have you tried reinstalling FST? I would try downloading another MT demo, and see whether the problem persists.

In the FST folder, there's a subfolder called Metatrader, from there you can manually add the necessary files, try that too.

I removed the previous FST and Alpari MT4. I downloaded another FST and opened a new Vantage MT4 demo account. FST installed the files OK but I still get the same problem about 'can not open file...'.

Hmm.

Bloody hell, seems like a MT problem, but then I can't explain why it fails with every MT.

Please check and report here MT builds you're using, especially the Vantage and the Smartlive MT's.

I am wondering if Windoze 7 is being used and not allowing access to the file

I have many instances of Metatrader and I have FST in each one of them. From what he is describing, the problem is on his machine.

Somehow Metatrader can not locate what it needs to execute the EA, that is why the question re Windows 7. I have had a lot of trouble with Windows 7, I had to take ownership of many folders to get things to work properly, however, I do not recall specific troubles with FST.

We will know more when he replies re OS

The OS is windows 7 home premium SP1, the MT4s are - smartlivemarkets V4.00 build 392, Vantage fx 4.00 build 388, my PC specs are Eee box by Asus, Intel Atom CPU330@1.6GHz, 2GB RAM.

18 (edited by Blaiserboy 2011-05-13 15:35:40)

My feeling is that you have to 'take ownership' of the folders in each MT4 instance. You can look up, using google to see what I am referring to.

The Metatrader will be able to 'see' all of the files it needs in order to execute the EA.

I am no windows expert, I am quite sure that my experience tells me that until you 'take ownership', which is a bit of a dirty process, then you will not resolve the difficulty.

Perhaps you can investigate this thoroughly before making any decisions.

I found a little utility on the net, called 'Take Ownership', and I use it often, I am sorry that I do not recall using it on Metatrader 4 specifically.

I sincerely hope this is a solution for you.

daveM

Sparkxx    check yer pm's

This may be obvious and stupid but I can't find the .ex4 file. If I can't find it then I don't expect MT4 to be able to either.

I tried the take ownership idea on the .dll and the mq4 files but it didn't change anything.

which exe file can you not locate.?.

sparxx wrote:

This may be obvious and stupid but I can't find the .ex4 file. If I can't find it then I don't expect MT4 to be able to either.

That's easy to fix - open FST expert in metaeditor, and compile it (find "Compile" button).

As the builds are different, it is not likely to be MT problem, I think Dave is on to something here, seems to be OS problem.

Footon

I think we should make a special thread for Windoze 7 problems, check out the little utility for fixing hidden files, and then explain fully how to fix the problem.

More and more people will have Windows 7 as time passes and it causes some grief when programs will not execute new files.

I am not skilled enough to explain the solutions in a way that people can understand.. lol

Way hey!

I 'took permission' of the entire Vantage fx folder and it all works now. I'll try the same thing with Smartlivemarkets.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...!

Well, the markets will be closing for the week soon, so you will not be doing a lot of testing, at least you can get things happening for next week.

I am glad you have found a solution, I know the frustrations......

Have a lot of fun with the program..!

Smartlivemarkets also works ok now. I took ownership of the FST folder and reloaded the .mq4 and the .dll files then the MT4 and FST both connected.

Thanks for the help.