Re: FSB Wish List - Requested features

hi everyone, i just joined and started trying this software this past week. thank you very much to the programmer for allowing it to be tried for free. its excellent!!

I am running it on demo with my strategies and I would like to offer a suggestion on the strategy properties. this was kind of asked by sam m on page 7 but not exactly.

i have "Winner" listed in add position and it will take a trade every time the entry criteria is met but its sometimes 10-15 times within a space of 3-5 pips. im on 5 minute with a five digit broker.  I think it is good to scale in on a position and it made my day I could set it that way but is it possible to set a minimum number of pips in profit to be qualified a "winner" and open a new position.  the max lots setting will work BUT if it takes all the positions up front your lot limit allows you wont be able to scale in later as it moves in your favor.

i have an excellent screen shot I can send or post here if you want to see it to illustrate my point.

thanks again to the programmer for this excellent software!!!

Donchian Channel

The indicator seems to look pretty good as it is... I wonder if anyone has ideas for refinement to make it a bit more effective.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

rfg33 wrote:

hi everyone, i just joined and started trying this software this past week. thank you very much to the programmer for allowing it to be tried for free. its excellent!!

I am running it on demo with my strategies and I would like to offer a suggestion on the strategy properties. this was kind of asked by sam m on page 7 but not exactly.

i have "Winner" listed in add position and it will take a trade every time the entry criteria is met but its sometimes 10-15 times within a space of 3-5 pips. im on 5 minute with a five digit broker.  I think it is good to scale in on a position and it made my day I could set it that way but is it possible to set a minimum number of pips in profit to be qualified a "winner" and open a new position.  the max lots setting will work BUT if it takes all the positions up front your lot limit allows you wont be able to scale in later as it moves in your favor.

i have an excellent screen shot I can send or post here if you want to see it to illustrate my point.

thanks again to the programmer for this excellent software!!!

When developing a strategy, it may be best to use one unit only until you have it fully developed. as walk forward testing results may be skewed by using graduated units. I realize that this does not address your question.

Parameters on indicators.

It may be preferable to have a preset range which could be set so that when someone is using the generator he may be able to set a range for ma length such s between 14 and 25 instead of the generator being able to select something like 189 as the length.

This might allow a user to save considerable time when using the generator.

Ichimoku indicator

The numbers are limited.... could the parameters be allowed to increase to 200.

Some trading gurus advocate much larger parameters so as to deal with chop.

Thanks

I think there is something your application definitely needs...its very good having permanent tp and sl but i think we need a function to lock in profits...how about this.

Move stop loss at "+50pip" from breakeven
Move stop loss to "+10pip" from breakeven

can you incorporate this please?

Generator    Break Even

I have a preset permanent stop loss of 20, a take profit of 40...... generator creates BreakEven of 1000  which is certainly of little use

Making  trading size in strategy properties  in ranges , for example entry lots of new position from 1% to 3%   

with this new modification we can find more and more profitable strategies with minimum changes in  strategy properties

Adding new limitation to generator ''gross profit : gross loss''

ahmedalhoseny wrote:

Adding new limitation to generator ''gross profit : gross loss''

I'll add custom limitations in FSB Pro. All stats params and backtest variables will be exposed for combinations.
If some conditions become well accepted. I'll code them in current FSB Generator.

Surely other people have ideas that could be useful additions to the software.

Now is the opportunity to submit ideas!

ahmedalhoseny wrote:

Making  trading size in strategy properties  in ranges , for example entry lots of new position from 1% to 3%   

with this new modification we can find more and more profitable strategies with minimum changes in  strategy properties

if this option couldn't be applied to generator ! is it doable with the optimizer ?

Generator doesn't change trading sizes. I can do it, but don't think it's practical. Anyway, it depends on users interest. If there is some support for that request, I'll add this options in Generator.

Popov wrote:

Generator doesn't change trading sizes. I can do it, but don't think it's practical. Anyway, it depends on users interest. If there is some support for that request, I'll add this options in Generator.

in my opinion it will add alot  let me give an example : if we use 1% of account  and generator starts to add winning strategies to the top 10 so when we add a new winning strategy it has to pass the conditions and limitations previously selected and then exceeding the previous higher strategy in profits  , But if we simulate the same conditions and limitations using 2% of account it may or will smile  show different combinations and strategies with different results  '' simply its like run generator one time using 1% then run generator again using 2% ..... etc  but with that feature we do all scans in one process

It's ok, but Generator may dismiss a good strategy because of improperly set trading size.
If we make Generator generating a strategy and testing it on several trading sizes, we'll lose to much time.

Popov wrote:

It's ok, but Generator may dismiss a good strategy because of improperly set trading size.

And this is a reason to make it in range because may be the selected trade size as a fixed % not the proper one .

also i donot think there is a proper trading lot size its a matter of risk appetite some people are risk takers others not and taking risk or not coming in ranges not a fixed %  lets say iam not a risk taker but iam comfortable to trade some where between 3% and 5% per trade  so i have to make three scans one using 3 then 4 then 5 %

Popov wrote:

If we make Generator generating a strategy and testing it on several trading sizes, we'll lose to much time.

1-It will be an optional some will use fixed % like now some will put it in ranges
2- making in ranges will be helpful when improving strategies using a limited set of indicators or trading conditions and trying to maximize the profits so trading size is important to see what is the optimal trading size for an improved strategy

ahmedalhoseny wrote:
ahmedalhoseny wrote:

if this option couldn't be applied to generator ! is it doable with the optimizer ?

This is probably better requested as a feature in FSB Pro.

The workload involved in searching for strategies and variable position sizing is not really practical in the current single-threaded generator, although I've added a comment to the board (http://forexsb.com/forum/post/18447) about having the generator and optimizer processes in FSB Pro support multiple processor cores, and it may be possible (it is definitely more feasible) to perform this type of analysis when we have access to multiple cores.

ahmedalhoseny wrote:
Popov wrote:

1-It will be an optional some will use fixed % like now some will put it in ranges
2- making in ranges will be helpful when improving strategies using a limited set of indicators or trading conditions and trying to maximize the profits so trading size is important to see what is the optimal trading size for an improved strategy

Also If it in ranges it will act as a very good money management tool   Because adding , doing nothing or reducing the positions will be easy to finding using generator instead  of doing it manually

295 (edited by angat 2013-03-04 17:35:11)

angat wrote:

I think there is something your application definitely needs...its very good having permanent tp and sl but i think we need a function to lock in profits...how about this.

Move stop loss at "+50pip" from breakeven
Move stop loss to "+10pip" from breakeven

can you incorporate this please?

I really do need this. I use this for all my strategies. Can we release another version for the Standard FSB with this in please. I really do think this will help alot of people.

breakeven = 0, not the "breakeven" FSB uses.

Thanks for the great software.  As a new user, I have been playing around with some strategies, and have noticed that some of the indicators I have in my MT4 platform show different results than in the FST and FSB platforms.  Is it possible with the freeware version or the Pro version to incorporate MT4 indicators?

Thanks again.

raoula wrote:

Thanks for the great software.  As a new user, I have been playing around with some strategies, and have noticed that some of the indicators I have in my MT4 platform show different results than in the FST and FSB platforms.  Is it possible with the freeware version or the Pro version to incorporate MT4 indicators?

Thanks again.

What indicators in particular? Can you post examples?

I know MACD calculation is different.

raoula wrote:

Thanks again.

I am total newbie but I will rephrase what I have understood about FSB software so far:

As far as I know MT4 is showing much more optimistic results so you can easily be lured to trade no matter if you lose money. If the brokers associated with MT4 get your money, MT wins part of it too. On the other hand FSB software is independent from brokers. In other words FSB cares about correct calculation and keeping your money to you as much as possible. Results are pessimistic by default so there is much lesser chance you lose money when trading.

My understanding of MT 4 is that it is the actual trading platform, and the FST plugs into MT4 to perform the trades based on strategies built in FSB.  I have an MT4 indicator called bungee plus which I am sure others have come across, which I would like to create a strategy on.  It has a combination of a number of indicators such as RSI, Williams and Stochastic.  I have noticed it is hard to get the FSB stochastic indicators returning the same lines as the bungee plus (especially the slow %D).  Given this is all statistical data based on historical data, I am not quite sure how optimism and pessimism plays into it.  I would have expected the FST to work on MT4 data as that is the actual live trade information that is going on, whereas I can understand FSB being slightly different with historic info as it doesn't have the brokers in the middle of it and their historical data.

What would be really handy is to be able to create strategies based around custom MT4 indicators such as the bungee plus, which may be coded slightly differently to produce a variant of the original indicator.  A couple of other "Wish List" items I have are:
- Being able to create a strategy that incorporates 2 different indicators in the one variable (eg. When the %k of the Stochastic line crosses the RSI in an upward direction AND %K is less than or greater than a certain value)
- Being able to set custom formulas for pivot points and then be able to use these figures to determine SL and TP points for actual trades

There is a huge selection of oscillators in FSB, chances are good that as you learn to use the software you will be able to create what you need from what is already available.

I recall thinking in a similar fashion when I first started with the software and gradually realized that there was a ton of indicators that can be used to replicate other MT4 Indicators.