Topic: Need Help Bollinger Bands

Hi,

i want to build a strategy  based on BB. With following conditions:
If candle crosses bottom BB or middle BB lines upward then a buy position is opened or if candle crosses middle BB or top BB lines downward then a sell position is opened.
Is this possible?

Re: Need Help Bollinger Bands

[Opening Point of the Position]
Bar Opening
     Enter the market at the beginning of the bar
     Base price  -  Open

[Opening Logic Condition]
Bollinger Bands
     The bar opens above the Lower Band after opening below it
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     MA period  -  20
     Multiplier  -  2.00
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

For middle band use a moving average with similar logic as middle band is just a moving average, incorporate logical groups also, then everything should be as your strat states.

3 (edited by Tim 2011-02-15 14:47:42)

Thank you!

One more problem. Here is my overview. I think i´ve done what you say and i added the logical closing:

the trades starts from the bottom or upper band exit on the MA and the trades starts from the MA exit on the bottom or upper band

I hope this is right?!
But in the backtest with the defauflt data settings from 07.06.10 unitl 10.09.10 in the 5min chart only 43 sent orders and 24 executed orders are listed?!

Logic
Opening (Entry Signal)
Open a new long position at the beginning of the bar when all the following logic conditions are satisfied:

the bar opens above the Lower Band of Bollinger Bands* (Simple, Close, 20, 2,00) after the previous bar has opened below it; and
the bar opens above the Moving Average* (Simple, Close, 20, 2) after opening below it; and
this is the first entry during the bar.
Open a new short position at the beginning of the bar when all the following logic conditions are satisfied:

the bar opens below the Upper Band of Bollinger Bands* (Simple, Close, 20, 2,00) after the previous bar has opened above it; and
the bar opens below the Moving Average* (Simple, Close, 20, 2) after opening above it; and
this is the first entry during the bar.
Closing (Exit Signal)
Close an existing long position at the end of the bar when at least one of the following logic conditions is satisfied:

the bar closes above the Upper Band of Bollinger Bands (Simple, Open, 20, 2,00); or
the bar closes above the Moving Average (Simple, Close, 20, 2).
Close an existing short position at the end of the bar when at least one of the following logic conditions is satisfied:

the bar closes below the Lower Band of Bollinger Bands (Simple, Open, 20, 2,00); or
the bar closes below the Moving Average (Simple, Close, 20, 2).
Handling of Additional Entry Signals**
Entry signal in the direction of the present position:

No averaging is allowed. Cancel any additional orders which are in the same direction.
Entry signal in the opposite direction:

No modification of the present position is allowed. Cancel any additional orders which are in the opposite direction.
Trading Size
Always trade a constant number of lots.

Opening of a new position - 0,1 lots.
Permanent Protection
The Permanent Stop Loss limits the loss of a position to 31 pips per open lot (plus the charged spread and rollover).

The strategy does not use a Permanent Take Profit.

I meant more like this:
[Opening Point of the Position]
Bar Opening
     Enter the market at the beginning of the bar
     Base price  -  Open

Bollinger Bands
     [ A ]   The bar opens above the Lower Band after opening below it
     Base price  -  Close
     MA period  -  20
     Multiplier  -  2.00

Moving Average
     [ B ]   The bar opens above the Moving Average after opening below it
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  20
     Shift  -  0

[Closing Point of the Position]
Bar Closing
     Exit the market at the end of the bar
     Base price  -  Close

[Closing Logic Condition]
Bollinger Bands
     [ a ]   The bar closes above the Upper Band
     Base price  -  Close
     MA period  -  20
     Multiplier  -  2.00
     Use previous bar value  -  No

[Closing Logic Condition]
Moving Average
     [ b ]   The bar closes below the Moving Average
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  20
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  No

Idea is good but it doesn't play out, I mean the closing part. It's a part where FSB lacks seriously, so the only thing I can come up with is for you to test out both closing conditions separately.

Pay attention to the logical groups (A, B). Oh, and about orders -

Popov wrote:

The number of sent order can be equal or greater than the number of executed orders.
    It is because some orders can be canceled. It usually occurs when there is a signal during an open position and the logic of the "Same Direction Signal" is  "Nothing", when the second signal is in the direction of the current trade. Also the opposite signal is canceled when the "Opposite Signal" logic is "Nothing"

Canceled  orders we have when the order price is not reached and the order is valid to the end of the current bar. Also FSB cancels the exit orders when the target position have been closed from an opposite entry signal before reaching the stop level.

How could FSB look for when teh BB lines "squeeze" together and then break out say 5 pips or so?  I have observed that they often do this and then ride the outer bands.  The trade exit is if the candel closes on the other side of the mid line.  How could this be optimised?  I'd like to know if I'm seeing an optical illusion? lol

CamenM wrote:

How could FSB look for when teh BB lines "squeeze" together and then break out say 5 pips or so?  I have observed that they often do this and then ride the outer bands.  The trade exit is if the candel closes on the other side of the mid line.  How could this be optimised?  I'd like to know if I'm seeing an optical illusion? lol

The solution is a custom indi (or a modified BB to be exact). If you can come up with a logic calculation, I think I'm capable of adding this logic to the indi.

You should look at BBsqueeze Break indicator: http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/2251/ind … indicator/

footon wrote:
CamenM wrote:

The solution is a custom indi (or a modified BB to be exact). If you can come up with a logic calculation, I think I'm capable of adding this logic to the indi.

The narrow range indicator NR4 & NR7 are similar to a BB squeeze.