1 (edited by Itai 2010-09-11 13:42:56)

Topic: Generator and Auto control of "Use previous bar value"

Hi Popov,

I have running the Generator with the setting "Use previous bar value" in the Strategy menu turned on. When I then accept a strategy and look at its settings I see that the use previous bar value is not checked in all the indicators. In some indicators this setting is on and in others it is off.
I have tried this with both normal indicators and HTF indicators.
When I then manually switch on the use previous bar value the backtest results naturally are very different from the backtest results the generator was calculating with.

Settings in the Strategy menu:
http://s4.postimage.org/Hh2LA.jpg

Setting in the indicator after the generator has created a strategy:
http://s4.postimage.org/HhO9i.jpg

I have noticed that it is in the Closing Logic Condition this occurs.

Is there something that can be done so when the generator is being used it always make sure that the "use previous bar value" is on in all the indicators?

Best regards
Itai

Re: Generator and Auto control of "Use previous bar value"

You can find here more info about the Use previous bar value option.

This option is implemented in the backtester and also in the indicator itself. Please read first the help article. If you think something is not correct, you have to report it since this can lead to a serious distortion of the backtesting result. Probably everything is correct with the indicators included into the distribution. I mean both integrated and the custom ones.  But I've not tested the third party indicators provided in the forum. If you find some errors there, you have to report in the topic where the indicators are announced. Their author have to fix them.

If you have a specific question, please post the strategy. We'll discus every case until we are sure that everything is fine.

Thanks for the information. I have now read the help article and especially these lines were very informative:

Time of decision Bar Open:

• Base price Bar Open - Current Value;

• Base price Intermediate - Previous Value;

• Base price Bar Close - Previous Value;

Time of decision Inside a Bar:

• Base price Intermediate - Previous Value;

• Base price Bar Close - Previous Value;

Time of decision Bar Close:

• Base price Intermediate - Current Value;

• Base price Bar Close - Current Value;

I understand how this option works in the back test part of FSB.
I saw that FST also had this setting. Could there be any advantage in switching this setting off when  trading in real time?

Could there be any advantage in switching this setting off when  trading in real time?

If the indicators you use are correctly written, you have to use UPBV (Use previous bar value) option on auto control. You can switch the Auto Control off for experiments only or if you are writing a new custom indicator.

FSB is designed to protect the user from logical errors even if he wants to make one.

Sounds very good. Thanks for the detailed explanations in the help articles.