Topic: Generator - Max entry / exit indicators.

Hello, Traders,

We have a softly said unlogical behaviour of the Generator's "Max entry indicators" and "Max exit indicators" options.

The issue appears when we use Preset indicators, and we have more indicator than the selected option.

For example, if we have 2 preset exit indicators set and "Max exit indicators" = 2, the Generator corrects it to 3.
It works like that:

MaxEntryIndicators = Math.min(AvalableEntryIndicators, Math.max(MaxEntryIndicators, PresetEntryIndicators + 1))
MaxExitIndicators  = Math.min(AvalableExitIndicators,  Math.max(MaxExitIndicators,  PresetExitIndicators  + 1))

I see two variants of improvements:
1. The Preset indicators have precedence - the Generator will use only and all preset indicators.
2. The Max indicators setting has precedence  - the Generator will use the first "n" preset indicators.

The second option is slightly better, in my opinion, because the  "Max entry/exit indicators" settings are nearer to us when we run the Generator and should be our active choice.

It will be also easier to test various scenarios with the Generator settings without leaving its page.

What do you think?

2 (edited by geektrader 2021-04-13 11:54:13)

Re: Generator - Max entry / exit indicators.

Hi,

since I´ve reported this issue, I am fully for solution #2. Because if we have Preset Indicators with just 1 exit indicator and then set the Generator to 1 exit indicator max, it will still add a second exit indicator in this case, because it adds "one extra" on top of the Preset Indicators, as the exit indicator of the Presets Indicator is not taking into account by the Generator. So it´s impossible to generate just 1 extra entry indicator on an existing Preset Indicators set. For example, say you have a strategy that uses 2 entry indicators and 1 exit indicator, you just want to add 1 additional entry indicator for stability, so you set the strategy as a Preset Indicator, then to go the Generator and set entry indicators to a max of 3 (so we can find an additional one for the entries) and exit indicators to a max of 1, as you want to keep your current exit mechanism. While EA Studio will add 1 additional entry indicator, it will also ALWAYS add 1 additional exit indicator, so that you always end up with 2 exit indicators although you just wanted to keep the existing 1 exit indicator from the Preset Indicators you´ve set. There is currently no way to prevent this and this makes absolutely no sense to me, hence I´ve reported this issue in the first place. If we want the Generator to add 1 additional exit indicator to an existing exit indicator in the Presets Indicators, it should only happen if we´ve specified "2" for the max exit indicators in the Generator, not if we specify "1". This has no logic right now and prevents us from generating just 1 additional entry indicator, as it will always add 1 additional exit indicator too, all the time.

Thank you.

3 (edited by hannahis 2021-04-14 06:39:32)

I prefer the option Max number of exit indicators to Determine ultimately how many exit indicators we will ended up in the strategies.  This is common sense and hence new users don't have to know what's our previous discussion.  The Max number of exit is very straight forward.  If Max is 2 and preset already has 2, then don't add in anymore.  Let the Generator search only the entry indicators.

If Max is 1 and preset has 2, then use the 1st exit indicator as default.

This is what I've have been hoping.  Sometimes I want to use my existing Preset exit theory and don't want the Generator to interfere with my exit theory.  Likewise, If I put Max Entry to be 4 and my Preset already has existing 4, then I would simply want the Generator to search for better exiting indicators. 

In conclusion, Let the Max number of Entry and Exit be the ultimate deciding factor and if Preset already take up the max limit, don't automatically add anymore (then users can't control the number of max indicators because the software will keep wanting to outsmart the users by adding 1 more which is what's happening now).

4 (edited by geektrader 2021-04-13 17:34:25)

Completely agree Hannahis, any other behavior like it is now is just confusing, especially for new users. The max entry AND max exit setting in the Generator should always be the maximum, no matter what.

The Generator behaviour is fixed.

Please reload EA Studio and test it.

This release required a significant modification of the strategy composition algorithm.
Please report any issues as soon as possible to rectify them on time.

Trade Safe!

Thanks for the udpate, however, after reloading EA Studio, I cannot access my personal history data anymore. "My Data" is empty and if I try to re-upload it, it never gets done. The upload runs, it says "imported", but never "uploaded" like it did before, and I am left with no data again. Only premium-data and the Metatrader demo data works. Can you fix this as quick as possible?

7 (edited by hannahis 2021-04-14 07:05:15)

Popov wrote:

The Generator behaviour is fixed.

Please reload EA Studio and test it.

This release required a significant modification of the strategy composition algorithm.
Please report any issues as soon as possible to rectify them on time.

Trade Safe!

Awesome! I hope this fix apply to both Max Entry and Max Exit.

Yay, now I'm in control of how to improve my existing Strategy to make it better in the way I wanted without interference from the software.  Thanks.

Another suggestion:  Can the Exit indictors behave like the Entry indicator eg.  For Entry indicators, all Entry indicators must be true in order to enter into a position.  But for Exit indicators, any of the exit indicator true, it would exit.  So even if I have 4 Exit indicators, anyone of these is true, the position will exit. 

I prefer the option for Exit indicator - that when all Exit indicators are true, then exit.

Because if anyone of these exit indicators are true means I only depend on 1 exit indicator to exit, I might as well, choose 1 max exit indicator and let the Generator find me as many options via generating more.  It adds no extra "Stability" to the exit theory.

The reason we have more Entry indicators is to make sure we enter into the market not due to false entry (hoping more entry indicators can prevent false entry).

Likewise, I don't want to Exit a position due to false exit and hence relying on more than 1 Exit indicator is necessary to prevent premature exit.

The new suggestion option give users more control over the type of Strategies they create.  And if users want to rely on different 1 Exit indicator, they can just put Max 1 exit and let the Generator generate many Strategies with 1 Exit indicator and they can then demo test which is a better 1 Exit indicator and then re-import it back as Preset to find a second exit indicator to add in to improve the Strategy further. This option allows users to step by step improve their existing Strategy  by controlling what to add and what to remove.

But right now, with anyone of the exit indicator, Users won't really know which is the main exit indicator that is a making the strategy better or worse off.  And even if they found a good exit indicator, users can't add in a Second exit rule to improve it because of the current option whereby either one is true, strategy will exit.

I second the request to have the Exit indicators chained (all must be true (same behavior like with the entry indicators), not just one). Have been hoping for such an option for a long time. I Hope Popov can add it. To keep compatibility with the old behavior, all existing strategies (if reloaded) should have the "any exit indicator must be true" behavior. Then there could be a new option in the Generator that says "chain exit indicators".

geektrader wrote:

I second the request to have the Exit indicators chained (all must be true (same behavior like with the entry indicators), not just one). Have been hoping for such an option for a long time. I Hope Popov can add it. To keep compatibility with the old behavior, all existing strategies (if reloaded) should have the "any exit indicator must be true" behavior. Then there could be a new option in the Generator that says "chain exit indicators".

Yay, great minds think alike :0