Topic: Portfolio expert different results on second demo same broker

Hello Everyone,

I have an issue which really breaks my head.
I'm running portofolio files the 1h and 4h Timeframe.
On one demo i have the full portofolio files running.
On the second demo i have the portofolio files with only the best strategy's still in it and removed the others (according to https://forexsb.com/forum/topic/6824/hannahs-tradeportfolio-management-tips/page/4/)

Both demo's run at the same broker so some data feed.

The strategy itselve (SL etc) seems working correct on both demo's.
But on the second demo there a much more trades resulting in a higher loss.

see images:
demo1/main https://gyazo.com/d4a9c537f919546ab9ff0946a61e85a9
demo2          https://gyazo.com/63c79d0941cd4a30cfa0aecf5edd8382

this is just an example of one magic number.

I have this issue on the 1h timeframe and as well on the 4h timeframe.

Did anyone have this issue as well ?

Can this due to a setting in metatrader? Only difference i can track is that on the demo1 i have max bars in history set on 500 (1h around 4 weeks and 4h around 16 weeks history)  and on the demo 2 this is 10000

Hope anyone have a clue howto fix this?

thanks!

Re: Portfolio expert different results on second demo same broker

Why do you have the max bars set different on both accounts and at such a low number? Every new MetaTrader instance I spin up I always set the bar count to maximum, 2147483647.

That is the first thing I would change as it is the easiest.

Depending on the indicators your strategies are using, and the settings used for those indicators, limiting the bars in history/on chart could limit what the indicator could see and therefore change it's calculations compared to the other account. The end result being it's entry or exit conditions aren't met so the trade is skipped.

If there would be data deficit, it wouldn't trade at all.

Are there any errors? Is there sufficient starting amount for trades to be opened? Log file should shed light to this.

thank you for your answer Burrup.

Ok the second demo is on 10000 max bars in history. Further i have 3rd setup with the same selected portfolio magic numbers. that one is a small live account with the same broker and has a 5000 max bars in history.
There i have different entries as the one with 500 and the one with 10000 max bars in history.

I can understand that 500 might be not enough but due that even 5000 and 10000 bars give a difference.
per example i have one magic number which took  3 trades on the 500 max bar history, 4 trades on the 5000 max bar history  , 6 on the 10000 max bar in history. but 5000 on the 4h timeframe is 833 trading days. So why would that have different trades from the setup with the 10000 max bar in history setup.

What i find strange as well is that when i do an nslookup on the strategy-runner.azurewebsites.net on my vps it says;  Non existent domain. Maybe by now that url is hardcoded in mt4 when you add it but nevertheless its strange. But on the other hand trades are taken so if the url would not work assume no trade signals would be given/arrive.

Thanks

Thanks Footon,

To be honest didn't think there would be a difference. I forward tested a lot of ea's in portofolio's where the ones i had a history of at least 6 months i selected the best and have put these in another demo. And then last week i noticed i had complete different results on the second demo.

So again it breaks my head, hope the reason is the max bar in history but not fully confident about this yet.

Thanks

6 (edited by burrup.lambert 2020-12-12 22:06:36)

J02wQ5tHnWr wrote:

What i find strange as well is that when i do an nslookup on the strategy-runner.azurewebsites.net on my vps it says;  Non existent domain. Maybe by now that url is hardcoded in mt4 when you add it but nevertheless its strange. But on the other hand trades are taken so if the url would not work assume no trade signals would be given/arrive.

Thanks

What is "strategy-runner.azurewebsites.net" and why do you need to add it to the allowed URL list?

Are all your demo accounts logged into the same demo server?

https://eacoder-f073.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/mt4-rescan-servers-option.png

Thanks Burrup,

Yes all demo accounts are logged into the same demo server.

Well i thought i still needed to add the strategy-runner url into mt4 like popov explained in a youtube
under portfolio manager topic;

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEy91gvr1PE

You have to set the strategy engine server in the MT options in the Expert Advisor tab: https://strategy-runner.azurewebsites.net/signal

So you say you didn't add that in MT4 in order to let the portfolio files work correct (getting signals) and that it isn't needed anymore?

Thanks,

Ok i see/read now in the porfolio topic the external azure url is obsolete.
Good to know that the issue must be an internal and not external thing.
Updated the max history bar to 500 on the other setups and let's see.

Will investigate to run the same portfolio files on a different forward test with 5000 max history bar and see what
result that will bring. Thing is that can't change it now since my selection of best magic numbers is based on 6/7 months
of forward testing based on those 500 which would make the 6 month test into unaccurate.

thanks

9 (edited by J02wQ5tHnWr 2020-12-14 17:33:21)

For your info. Fix was indeed the max history bar setting!

So the EA's have different results (=entries) if you set max history bar on 500, 5000 or 10000 max history bars set in/
MT4. So probably difference as well when you set this to 50000

best regards and have a nice Christmas everyone smile

J02wQ5tHnWr wrote:

For your info. Fix was indeed the max history bar setting!

So the EA's have different results (=entries) if you set max history bar on 500, 5000 or 10000 max history bars set in/
MT4. So probably difference as well when you set this to 50000

best regards and have a nice Christmas everyone smile

Glad to hear it worked smile.