forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

(Page 1 of 2)

Forex Software → Expert Advisor Studio → Can I Push EA Studio To Get Me 3000 Positive Pips In A Day?

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Can I Push EA Studio To Get Me 3000 Positive Pips In A Day?

I am pretty sure that I can do it based on the facilities of the EA Studio.

It will take some time to achieve the goal as there is a lot of testing to do.

I have opened a demo account for that purpose and I will be adding strategies as days pass.

Once a strategy shows stability I will add it to a real account and that may take a few months as the application is not quite ready for a real account.

I will be using 240 minute and daily time frames.

I will be adding EA's that contain 50 or 100 strategies each.

Periodically I will update this thread with some statements and comments.

I fully expect to blow the demo account more than once as I weed out the poor performers.

I expect there to be some negativity to this goal, and that is fine with me, we all have opinions and beliefs.

Hopefully my ideas will benefit others as weeks pass.

So, the first strategies will be EURJPY and EURUSD, at this time there are no open trades.... I will be using very tiny lot size. (because I know there will be huge drawdowns)

Please post your opinions, questions, comments, whatever..., hopefully we can all benefit.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Re: Can I Push EA Studio To Get Me 3000 Positive Pips In A Day?

I think EA Studio is a ground-breaking tool and I am using it to create nice strategies that are trading well in a live account.  But I am still not clear about the advantages of using Expert Portfolio to create EAs with dozens of strategies versus FSBPro.

1. Is there a statistical advantage to creating one EA that contains 50 strategies versus 50 individual strategies?  Or is this mostly about performance -- i.e. running a terminal with one chart vs 50 charts?  And if it is a performance issue, then if you have access to a powerful machine is there really any advantage?

2. Managing 50 individual strategies is a project in itself -- so having them all packaged in a single EA is a big win.  But then the issue arises how do you prune the poor performers?  When each strategy is its own EA, then it is easy to remove the losers.  But the current version of Expert Portfolio sort of forces you to take the good with bad (unless you want to edit the mql source file).

3. In my hands the strategies created by FSBPro seem to trade better than the ones created by EA Studio.  Even though the stats for the EA Studio-generated strategies are very good.  I think this is because with FSBPro I can add to a position and also have finer control over SL and TP.

4. Using EA Studio it is certainly *much* easier and faster to create a large collection of good strategies.  But I sort of enjoy going through the process of generating, analyzing, optimizing and testing the strategies using FSBPro.  I mean, using EA Studio I could generate 100's of strategies in one afternoon -- and then what am I suppose to do the rest of the week?

So, it seems like both tools have strengths and weaknesses.  When I take a step back and look at the big picture, I think for me being able to prune poor performers outweighs the performance issue.  For a few bucks more each month I can upgrade to a more powerful VPS that can handle multiple MT4 sessions.  I like having the finer control over which EAs are running.  Or taking a good performer, tweaking it a bit, and then using it again. 

I don't know -- I like both tools a lot and I keep waffling back and forth.  At the moment I lean toward FSBPro, but with a little push I could easily favor EA Studio.  Just my 2 cents to keep the discussion going...

You make some interesting points.

I like FSBPro, I have not a lot of experience witrh EA Studio, I used it for a couple months and then went on holidays and recentl;y started using it again.

Now I am going to try something that I have not done before, run a ton of strategies and try to make some sense out of it and also a profit.

I think Popov has created an amazing concept that is already shaking up the trading community.

In reply to your point about time on your hands...  maybe just create more and more strategies to manage and get out to the golf course....  LOL

I want to report progress on a regular basis. I have not decided what the report will look like. Initially there will not be much to report as I am in the process of adding EA's.

I am using a 'penny' account, opened with 10,000, a demo, and trading 0.01 and I expect there will be massive losses and drawdowns before I get the thing operating satisfactorily.

Here is what it looks like so far....

https://s20.postimg.org/7e7yu0zdl/Dave_M-0131.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/mbgfv1cm1/Dave_M-0132.jpg

On the weekend I will be adding quite a few more EA's, probably 5 more, I have some generating at this time.

So far, I did not develop a selection criteria as to which strategies to add.

Nor have I decided on a pruning policy....

As the markets change from week to week or month to month each strategy will show different kinds of results.

In the past I have had some unpleasant surprises when my 'super duper' strategies showed me losses..

My inclination is to set a low bar for this portfolio and be aggressive with the pruning..

My goal with this is to gain 3,000 pips daily..... Initially that will be my focus, refinements will be secondary.

Amazing thread here we have!!!!
I will be looking forward to track each progress you will have in the near future....GOOD LUCK!!!!

One of the problems with a portfolio, (and also a solution) is stagnation.

When I originally built my portfolio using FSBPro, I would become very frustrated when no results for a day or two.

I am hoping that using many strategies and currency pairs will eliminate that.  Time will tell.

The open saw 129 orders open... so there will be lots of activity on this.

Interesting is that I have two of these instancs of MT4 a 240 minute and a 60 minute... each of those has more than 1,100 strategies and my computer is hardly busy....

That is one thing that I wanted to learn about EA Studio, are all these strategies going to bother my computer...., very little ram being used and the computer is almost idle.

I do not plan to monitor this very closely except to watch that there is still some equity.....

Once there is sufficient trades I will try to establish which sorts are effective, especially those related to drawdowns.

I have no idea where this thing will go until there have been hundreds of trades closed.

You are welcome to have a look at the stats and more than welcome to add comments and suggestions in the thread so that we can all learn a bit.

https://www.fxblue.com/users/62777800/stats

I had a few of questions -- and I may be jumping ahead.  Feel free to respond you'll cross that bridge when you get there...

1. With hundreds of strategies, do you already have a method for keeping track of which ones are keepers and which ones to prune?

2. How do you plan to modify an EA Portfolio to remove the poor performers?

3. Suppose an EA Portfolio is running and you decide its time to begin pruning.  Considering at any moment there will be many pending orders, how would one gracefully halt the EA Portfolio in order to edit it to remove poor performers and then relaunch it.  I mean, if you stop an EA Portfolio when there are pending orders and prune magic numbers then wouldn't those strategies become "zombies"?

4. Related to (3) -- I think it is possible to create an MT4 indicator that only closes trades associated with a particular magic number that you specify.  In that way you could close only those positions of the poor performers, temporarily halt the EA, make your pruning modifications, and then relaunch it.  The pending orders for the good strategies will continue as if nothing happened.

With this new paradigm of running hundreds of strategies at once, it seems the problem now moves from how to create a good EA to how to manage portfolios that include 100's of strategies.  I think it is a good problem to have...

10 (edited by Blaiserboy 2017-05-29 01:18:41)

To modify the ea. just open it up and delete the strategy and renumber.

The pruning criteria at this time is unknown as I need a lot of experience  with them trading.

I do not think they will become zombies as the nunmbers will be the same.

Will have to see what develops regarding the bad guys..... maybe 20 or 30 losses, I just have no idea at this time.

YESSSSSSSSS, managing hundreds of EA's and strategies is what I want to learn. I think it is a different approach from managing ten EA's, although I have not formed an idea as to how it would be accomplished.

here is the damage so far from today, interesting that with all those strategies and the initial spreads the thing is still not losing much.

https://s20.postimg.org/8rmqmusd5/Dave_M-0134.jpg

One idea I used last week was to replace a pruned strategy with a good producer.... that would eliminate having to renumber them all when one is deleted.  With 60 ot 70 strategies, it may be that you would have ten the same after a few weeks of pruning.

The pruning criteria is going to be as important as the initial filtering.

You can probably see that I have 5 filters for each pair, the numbering system reflects that. I hope that one day I will be able to decipher which filter worked the best. If not I will have to try a different approach. The worst that can happen is that there is not a significant difference... lol

I ran the EA Studio to more than 1 million and got more than 1000 in each collection.

Then I set the filters to 2.5 for System Quality Number and Return/Drawdown

Then I sorted them by
Net Balance
Balance Line Deviation
Sharrpe Ratio
System Quality number
Max Drawdown

So I have 5 ea's for each pair and also a few weird pairs that are unfiltered.

The filtered pairs are EURCAD AUDUSD USDCAD, just selected because of no reason..

I will gather statistics on the similar filters for those three after there is a sizeable sample..... which will take forever..

This is going to be a long ride to get some worthwhile ideas....

Could you clarify how you got 1000 strategies in each collection.  According to EA Studio's documentation it says:
"The app sorts the strategies by highest net balance and maintain a list of maximum 100 records. "

My experience with EA Studio is that at most there are 100 strategies in a collection.  If a new strategy is added then a current member of the Collection gets kicked out.  Furthermore, Net Balance is used as the test for membership in a Collection.  So, a strategy with better stats will get kicked out if a new one with a higher Net Balance comes along. 

So, once the size of the Collection gets close to 100 then it may be wise to begin saving copies of the Collection because strategies with really good stats may subsequently be replaced by lesser ones (but with higher Net Balances).

If there are at most 100 strategies in a Collection, then sorting them according to Net Balance, SQN, etc. only changes the order and not the members of the Collection -- I suspect.  I'm also just now beginning to experiment more with EA Studio so I am not 100% sure.

I think filtering will create a subset of the Collection -- where the size of the subset will always be less than or equal to 100.

The approach I am taking is a bit more tedious.  After creating a Collection I'm saving those individual strategies that have good stats and look good to me.  When I have around 100 of them then I will import them back into EA Studio and create a "custom" Collection.  That is, my "custom" Collection contains hand-picked strategies that I saved from previous sessions with EA Studio.  It's more effort up front, but then I'm hoping less pruning will be required later on.

12 (edited by Blaiserboy 2017-05-29 10:45:48)

The collection is as big as you wish to make it..... the filters select the best 100 of however many in the collection.

To sorta show you.......  make a collection of 30 strategies and save it. Then make one of 50 and save that, then make one of 300 and save that. Then make  a collection of 1000 and save it.

Now go to download foilder and compare the sizes of the four of them....

Due to the nature of my project, I am not inspecting each strategy, I am only sorting and saving. The project I worked on last week. I did inspect.

Hope that clarifies.

OOPs

I have just uploaded a collection and it appears that there is only 100 items in it.

However, I am still thinking that while we are generating a strategy, all members are retained for the sorting and then when downloaded........ a maximum of 100 is saved....

I am generating at this time and I will try to check that, I may have been very mistaken.

I want to see what happens with those GBP pairs that have the long trends, ie GBPCAD so I will see about adding a couple of those later in the week.

Pruning is very critical as we start to move to real account trading.

I am wondering if pruning should occur after a strategy has traded a certain number of times in a demo... ie 50 or 100 trades.

The actual performance may show differently from the optimization.

I really have no idea as to what is best.....

Regarding Collection size -- in my hands the *.json file never exceeds 808 KB.  Also, along the top menu where it says 'EA Studio', 'Reactor', 'Collection', 'Strategy', etc -- the number following 'Collection' never exceeds 100.

When viewing the Reactor window where you can follow the steps of the Reactor input I can watch the Progress, Calculated and Ascended numbers.  The Ascended number can and will exceed 100, but the number following 'Collection' along the top menu never exceeds 100.

By the way -- what is the size of your *.json files that include 100 and 1000 strategies?  I'm curious whether it is significantly larger than the 808 KB that I'm getting.  I've saved many collections that have run for days and where the Reactor reports that 100's have been ascended, but in the end there are only 100 strategies in the collection -- and those are the 100 with the highest Net Balances.

Perhaps the ultimate test would be to use the Download button to generate the corresponding Portfolio Expert mq4 file and examine the array strategyList[].  Without using any filtering, the size of strategyList[] should be the number of strategies in the collection.  When my collection maxes out at 100 then the indices of the strategyList[] array run from [0,99].  Can you create a Portfolio Expert mq4 file whose strategyList[] array is larger than 100?

Wow...... I am starting to think I have been quite wrong...

I think I have been doing this all wrong... I am glad you pointed it out...

That changes much of my thinking. lol

I am redoing the samples according to your thinking.....

I am thinking now that the lowest or poorest result in the sort will be dropped when a better one is generated....

Wow, I am so glad you pointed this out.

Thanks for figuring this out and confirming -- I was also confused about Collection size.  As a developer myself having analyzed tons of data, Popov's implementation makes sense to me.  He chose an arbitrary limit of 100 and uses 'Net Balance' as the metric to decide which candidate strategies remain and which ones leave.  Perhaps in a future version he'll make that a setting we can configure -- that way our Collections can be based on SQN (my preference), Sharpe, Win / Loss, Ret DD, Net Balance, whatever.  You would need to run EA Studio multiple times -- once for each type of 'selection metric', but that's easy enough.

Yes, I am thinking of making separate selections, I just started one. I will be deleting that account and starting over...

Too funny.. really appreciste your input.!

Now that you've confirmed this -- then another thing occurred to me.  Perhaps you can noodle on this as well...

As candidate strategies are generated their Net Balance is compared to strategies that are already members of the Collection.  If the size of the Collection is < 100, then a strategy is promoted (as long as it meets the Acceptance Criteria).  However, if the size of the Collection is now 100, then a new candidate strategy not only has to meet the Acceptance Criteria, but its Net Balance must also be higher than at least one strategy that is already a member. 

If EA Studio has been running a while then the Collection may have become "polluted" with high Net Balance strategies with poor stats -- making it difficult for new strategies with excellent stats to make it into the Collection.  Do you know what I mean?

I've noticed the first 100 strategies "ascend" more quickly than the second 100 strategies.  And I think this is because the second 100 strategies have to jump over two bars -- Acceptance Criteria plus Net Balance.  The first 100 strategies only have to pass Acceptance Criteria.

The only way around this that I can think of is to stop the Reactor before it reaches 100.  And then use your filters to pick the best ones based on SQN, Sharpe, Win / Loss, etc.  In the end your filtered Collection will be a subset of the original and may only have 10 or 20 members.  So, you would have to repeat this a few times to create several Collections and once the combined size of your subset collections nears 100 you can import them back into EA Studio to create a single Collection that can then be exported as a Portfolio mq4 file.

I wonder if we should ask that the Collection size be increased......

I see what you are saying..... and for sure pollution would be present.

I am generating for each sort individually at present. It will take a while but I have housework to do .lol

sleytus wrote:

Now that you've confirmed this -- then another thing occurred to me.  Perhaps you can noodle on this as well...

As candidate strategies are generated their Net Balance is compared to strategies that are already members of the Collection.  If the size of the Collection is < 100, then a strategy is promoted (as long as it meets the Acceptance Criteria).  However, if the size of the Collection is now 100, then a new candidate strategy not only has to meet the Acceptance Criteria, but its Net Balance must also be higher than at least one strategy that is already a member. 

If EA Studio has been running a while then the Collection may have become "polluted" with high Net Balance strategies with poor stats -- making it difficult for new strategies with excellent stats to make it into the Collection.  Do you know what I mean?

I've noticed the first 100 strategies "ascend" more quickly than the second 100 strategies.  And I think this is because the second 100 strategies have to jump over two bars -- Acceptance Criteria plus Net Balance.  The first 100 strategies only have to pass Acceptance Criteria.

The only way around this that I can think of is to stop the Reactor before it reaches 100.  And then use your filters to pick the best ones based on SQN, Sharpe, Win / Loss, etc.  In the end your filtered Collection will be a subset of the original and may only have 10 or 20 members.  So, you would have to repeat this a few times to create several Collections and once the combined size of your subset collections nears 100 you can import them back into EA Studio to create a single Collection that can then be exported as a Portfolio mq4 file.

You set up Generator settings, for example search best SQN and you're off. Then if collection is full (100 strats) and new strat is found, lowest SQN gets pushed out if the newly found strat has a higher SQN than the last strat. Use SQN sorting in the collection also. To me it seems to work this way, I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

Well, I am glad I learned about that...

I set up 5 separate instances and they will be ready in a few hours and I will start anew.

I am still using the unconventional Stop Loss and Take Profit for this first batch, the next batch will be a little different.

Thanks for the insights, guys.

Same applies to optimization also, that works for sure. It's quite insightful optimizing one strategy for net balance, SQN and win loss respectively and then comparing them. A lot to test and learn.

Footon
When you take a strategy and optimize it.....  how do you get the results through Monte Carlo and Multimarket again....

Let's say you got 15 excellent results from optimizing.... do you have to do them all manually?

Thanks

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Expert Advisor Studio → Can I Push EA Studio To Get Me 3000 Positive Pips In A Day?