1 (edited by Popov 2016-05-14 11:18:58)

Topic: User Guide » Use Previous Bar Value. - Is this page up to date?

Hi there

I stumbled by accident on this fascinating and detailed page in the FSB Online Manual - on the complex issues around backtester methodology/ies and 'compromises' - to maximize accuracy within the many constraints.

Wiki » Forex Strategy Builder - Overview » User Guide » Use Previous Bar Value

I just need to confirm, please:
Is this page is still (completely) up to date and relevant regarding FSB Previous Bar functionality - does FSB currently function (exactly) this way?
=> Specifically regarding the interesting paragraph below, describing how the 'tester' 'looks ahead' to the bar-end.

"The trick comes from the fact that during the backtest, all bars are accomplished and the tester always sees the final value of the indicators.
It means that the tester cheats when open a position at the bar beginning using an indicator value from the bar closing. The tester looks to the end of a bar and knowing that price and the indicator conditions, it makes decision to entry or not at much earlier time - at bar opening. Unfortunately, no one can do this in a real live trade.
We do not know where the market price will be at the end of the bar. Therefore we must not allow the backtester to do something that we are not able to apply later. "

Just a quick reply to that one question, when convenient, would be very helpful.

Much appreciated

Re: User Guide » Use Previous Bar Value. - Is this page up to date?

Yes, the article is completely relevant with the way FSB Pro works.

The paragraph in bold describes a case where the UPBV function is off. This was possible in the legacy version but not in the Pro version. We removed that option because we received tons of feedback that users create strategies with UPBV off and later loose money.

FSB Pro is able to detect such cheats and switches UPBV option automatically in order to prevent false backtests.

OK, thank you, this is very helpful.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers.

What does Popov mean when he says FSB Pro automatically switches from PBV to UPBV when it deems it necessary.  Does that mean my FSB Pro version 3.6.0.0 "automatically" takes into account the concerns of Hannah?????

Hannah doesn't understand how the backtesting works and I ask all readers of this forum to ignore her opinion on that topic. I think she has to express her thoughts on UPBV only on the topic she started.

"What does Popov mean when he says 'FSB Pro automatically switches from PBV to UPBV' when it deems it appropriate"?
If so, does that include my FSB Pro version 3.6.0.0?