forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Long and Short independent at the same time

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Long and Short independent at the same time

Hello, I am new to this forum and to FSB.
FSB is quite different to what I have seen so far but it looks very good to me and I am studying and trying to understand at least the basic logic before I buy a licence.
I ask for explanation/help to following strategie:
At a crossing of two MA's I want to open a "Long" in one direction, and independently open a "Short" when the crossing is in the other direction. Each position is independently closed when a certain "Take profit" or "Stop" is reached or a "trailing stop" is triggered.
As there can be a long and short open at the same time, some call it "hedging" but my broker has no problem with that.
In FSB I managed already to build this in two seperate strategies, but it seems that it is not possible to have a long and short open at the same time. When I put it together with logical groups it does not work.
Is that correct and if that is so, what can I do? How could I run the two strategies on the same pair or index (e.g DAX)?

Re: Long and Short independent at the same time

FSB is designed to prevent opening opposite positions simultaneously. You are right you can do only by using two separate strategies.

Thank you for the fast answer.
Can I compare or add the results in FSB or do I have to open to FSB's and compare the curves and results manually?
How can I run the the two strategies on one index/chart, is there a instruction or video for that?

You can use two charts in MT4 to accommodate your need

You can use the journal to observe entries......... you can export it to make more complex measurements

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Actually FSBPro looks after your condition as it will buy when the condition is met and sell when the opposite condition is met.

You would not want to carry a position going the other way as it would be a loss and could wipe you out

FSBpro although appearing to trade only one direction actually trades both directions.

Hope that clarifies.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

@Blaiserboy: Thank you, but my experience at e.g. Dax Index is a little different. If a long and short is open at the same time, it happens that first one trade reaches the TP and later the other one although they might be in minus in the meantime. On a some EA's it is therefore possible just to select with hedge or without. I am surprised to use a "workaround" for that in FSB, but it seems to me FSB has instead many other unique possibilities and advantages.
One more Question please: How do I set as closing condition a SL, TP and Trailing Stop? Can I do that together with or without "close end of day"?

Strategy Properties, the top box, set your SL, TP, TS there. Day Closing is in the closing conditions.

Bru1,

Have you thought of breaking up your strategy in two strategies instead?  It requires a little bit more observation and deliberation for you to break your theory/strategy into two strategies.  I think it is "safer" this way because what if the price doesn't reversed and whatever you gained in one position is lost in another.

Hedging is a good tool if used appropriately.  In my personal opinion (I'm not here to say it's the best way of using it, but sharing another perspective so to expand our views of different approaches) I would use hedging if I detect a strong trend (in H4 or D1) but during price reversal/resistance, I apply hedging for two purpose, 1. if the trend really changed direction, I protected my 1st position with this new hedging position. 2. If the trend didn't change but just a price correction and is ready to bounce back, I closed my hedging with profit and hence, hedging is taking the opportunity to make money both ways.

However, I won't use Hedging as the opening conditions in both ways, Long and short at the same time.  Maybe if you share more of your trading plan/theory, I can see your perspectives, I may begin to appreciate and see the value behind this approach.  Otherwise, I think sometimes hedging may be a sign of "fearing to take appropriate/calculated risk".  A reflection that we are not gained the confidence in our trading theory/strategy.

I used to do that in my early days of trading...my balance sheet looks terrific with 40 consecutive gains, but that's not the big picture...because with every gained, I've a floating lost (due to hedging) and eventually minus off the gain.

Now coming back to your strategy.  I was thinking whether you can break into two and that requires you to be able to spot the bigger/stronger trend (in H1, H4 or D1) and find the starting point of entry.  And the second strategy is to use support and resistance to capture the price reversal.  In this way you have 2 separate strategies yet capturing two potential gain from a big wave.

This just my personal sharing, not an expert point of view...food for thoughts and expansion of perspective.  Take it with a pinch of salt smile

Hello,
thank you for your ideas, I see it the same in most cases. But for better understanding this approach I have added an example of what I was talking about, there it is easy to see that the positions are opened independently at different times and so it can happen that a long and short are open for a while at the same time.
Building that up seperately for long and short looks easy, but I have to look and exercise now how I can compare these two best in a diagram. One way I found already is just to open two instances of FSB but I did not find a way yet to add the two Balance/Equity charts.

Post's attachments

e1.jpg 103.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Did you check the Strategy Portfolio?

You can open the two strategies in two tabs and see the aggregated balance in a single chart.

Thank you for the Strategy Portfolio Information, that is super.
Your Program has so many possibilities that it will take quite a while till I get some overview.
But I am working on it, it is really interesting.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Long and Short independent at the same time