1 (edited by GD 2016-01-19 12:10:31)

Topic: Use of lower TF indicator in Higher TF EAs

Dear Mr. Popov

I have one question

Usually we can see in M5 based TF EAs indicators, higher TF indicators i.e M15, H1, H4 etc
In an M5 TF Chart we cannot design an M1 TF indicator. Ok!.

BUT why to do not use in FSB, M1 based Indicators in M5 TFs without to see them in the chart or to see an approximation of them in M5 Chart?
Is it possible to use in this case in Generator and Optimization lower TFs (M1) than TF 5 ?

Re: Use of lower TF indicator in Higher TF EAs

BUT why to do not use M1 based Indicators in M5 TFs

We cannot use lower time frame indicators because we cannot position their values inside the historical bars of the current time frame.

3 (edited by hannahis 2016-01-19 12:31:51)

GD,

Why do you want to use 1min indicator in 5min time chart?

Why don't you use 1 min time chart and just add 5min indicator using LTF? 

The only possible reason why 5 min time chart is "better" than 1 min time chart, in my opinion is because 5 min time chart has the advantage of longer historical data but the disadvantage of 5min delay in your trade execution.  Secondly, in 5 min you wait till your indicator confirmed crossing etc during this 5 min wait to eliminate any "false" signal or acts as a filter.  But we can use shift or repeat feature in 1 min time chart as an alternative to filter out any such "false" signals.

If you need your 1 min indicator to be less sensitive in the 1 min time chart, try using the shift or repeat features.  For example, if I want MA 14 higher than MA 21 but want to make sure it is a confirmed cross over, I choose shift 1 or 2, in other words, MA 14 is higher than MA 21 for 2min or more. 

1 min indicator in 5 min time chart (although impossible), is same as = 1min indicator with shift=4 in a 1 min time chart to certain extend.

4 (edited by GD 2016-01-19 15:25:25)

Dear Hannahis

Thank so much for your recommendations.

I agreed with the problem you say and the solution to exit trade using M1 TF in order to do not wait.

Sometimes it is difficult to go from M5 TF to M1 TF following your methodology with an EA.

Once my result in an EA with M5 TF was good but to M1 was bad in Balance/Equity Chart

I was thinking how to exit fast in M5 without to go to M1 using an M1 indicator.

GD, you can check your PM at the upper right hand corner.  I've just sent you a PM

hannahis wrote:

GD,

Why do you want to use 1min indicator in 5min time chart?

Why don't you use 1 min time chart and just add 5min indicator using LTF? 

The only possible reason why 5 min time chart is "better" than 1 min time chart, in my opinion is because 5 min time chart has the advantage of longer historical data but the disadvantage of 5min delay in your trade execution.  Secondly, in 5 min you wait till your indicator confirmed crossing etc during this 5 min wait to eliminate any "false" signal or acts as a filter.  But we can use shift or repeat feature in 1 min time chart as an alternative to filter out any such "false" signals.

If you need your 1 min indicator to be less sensitive in the 1 min time chart, try using the shift or repeat features.  For example, if I want MA 14 higher than MA 21 but want to make sure it is a confirmed cross over, I choose shift 1 or 2, in other words, MA 14 is higher than MA 21 for 2min or more. 

1 min indicator in 5 min time chart (although impossible), is same as = 1min indicator with shift=4 in a 1 min time chart to certain extend.

i always wondered what that shift feature meant.similarly can you give one example of a use for repeat function.

thanks:i know how much time effort it is to make these helpful posts-i hope everyone realises that.

GD wrote:

Dear Mr. Popov

I have one question

Usually we can see in M5 based TF EAs indicators, higher TF indicators i.e M15, H1, H4 etc
In an M5 TF Chart we cannot design an M1 TF indicator. Ok!.

BUT why to do not use in FSB, M1 based Indicators in M5 TFs without to see them in the chart or to see an approximation of them in M5 Chart?
Is it possible to use in this case in Generator and Optimization lower TFs (M1) than TF 5 ?

i am not sure of your question but if you want to add a 20 5 min ema on a M1 just multiply by 5. so an ema of 100 on the one min chart is equivalent to a 20 ema on  5 min.

pradeepgolfer wrote:

i always wondered what that shift feature meant.similarly can you give one example of a use for repeat function.

thanks:i know how much time effort it is to make these helpful posts-i hope everyone realises that.

You can read from this link http://forexsb.com/wiki/fsbpro_guide/in … properties

Under Indicators Advance Properties

Signal Repeat

When Signal repeat is greater than 0, Forex Strategy Builder Professional sends repeated signals according to the selected number.

Signal repeat can be set in range of 0 - 200. The default value is 0.

The example shows Moving Average indicator with Signal repeat = 3. Note that we have 4 entry signals. The first one is the original entry and we have 3 repeats after that. Signal repeat sets how many times to repeat the initial entry signal and therefore, we have totally signal repeat + 1 signals.

Signal repeat works on the main strategy time frame even if the indicator uses Longer Time Frame (LTF).

“Opening Point of the Position” and “Closing Point of the Position” indicators don't have a Signal repeat parameter. If you develop custom indicators and an indicator cannot work with signal repeat, set IndParam.IsAllowLTF = false;