1 (edited by lenolovecraft 2015-07-12 10:17:26)

Topic: Indicators that measure the slope of a moving average

Does anyone have recommendations for indicators that measure the slope of a moving average as an oscillator say between 0 and 1 or take the derivative?
I am interested in having a system that only trades when the market is moving sideways/the long term moving average has very little slope. Figured it would be useful as mean reversion tends to work best in these types of environments.

There must be pre-existing indicators that already have this as a measurement?
Alternatively can anyone else think of other ways of gauging whether a market is moving sidewards from an indicator?

thanks!

Re: Indicators that measure the slope of a moving average

I am not too much into the actual measurement of a slope but I use a couple moving averages to ascertain a trend.

For example  30 > 60  you can use the moving average crossover indicator for that........ check the variables and you will see what I mean.  Also Vidya Crossover... or Macd line is rising...... or CCI is rising.. so there are quite a few to tell if there is a slope.

As I mentioned, I have no clue as to how to measure a degree of slope. Perhaps someone else has some ideas.

I am not sure which combination of averages would be best for your application... maybe 10 -20 or 5 - 10, you have to establish that.

Welcome to FSBPro, hopefully you enjoy the software.

daveM

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Re: Indicators that measure the slope of a moving average

Great thanks for your help! Totally new to the vidya, lots of new stuff to test out!