1 (edited by slipshod 2013-05-31 09:05:41)

Topic: Reporting Bugs and Debugging of FSB v2.98.1 RC

I've compiled the source in SharpDevelop, had to change the target to 32 bit else the debugger wouldn't work.  Stepping through as it runs, it goes into a tight loop calling WndProc in LauncherForm.cs line 51 over & over, then crashes on the if statement.  I'm not sure what to make of this, and SharpDevelop doesn't give me a callstack when the crash occurs.

If I change the project to run Forex Strategy Builder directly instead of the Launcher, it runs without crashing, and builds the libraries in the process.  Running the distributed FSB in this way results in an immediate crash.  Running a release version built from source crashes too.  Unfortunately it seems I'm not getting much closer here.

Re: Reporting Bugs and Debugging of FSB v2.98.1 RC

Running a release version built from source crashes too.

????

Can you run "Windows Remote Assistance", save invitation file and send me it via PM together with the password?

EDIT
Opss no attachments to PM. You can send me the file via email.

Unfortunately that's not an option - its a computer owned by my employer & they wouldn't allow external access like that. 

What I can do right now is run FSB directly (not the launcher) compiled using the Debug target, so I'm able to actually use the application now.  I know that doesn't help you narrow down what went wrong ... perhaps a full recursive diff of the sourcecode between 2.93 and 2.98 might be useful?  Or alternately, progressing with development and hope my case is an isolated incident that won't happen elsewhere.

Can you replace "CustomIndicators.LoadCustomIndicators();"
on line 108 of file Action.cs in folder UserInterface

with debugging code:

try
{
    CustomIndicators.LoadCustomIndicators();
}
catch(Exception e)
{
    string msg = e.Message;
    if(e.InnerException != null && e.InnerException.Message != "")
        msg += Environment.NewLine + e.InnerException.Message;

MessageBox.Show(msg, "CustomIndicators.LoadCustomIndicators();", 
                    MessageBoxButtons.OK, 
                    MessageBoxIcon.Error);
}

Ok, with that change made I'm not getting any crashing at all, Debug build or Release build.  No messageboxes are popping up, its all just working.  Its rebuilding the Libraries too (if I delete them before starting the app).

!?!?!?! Very strange things happen in the mist of the dark Microsoft forest.

I'll add this try ... catch in the distribution.

I suppose that if you press Ctrl + I (reload indicators) it will crash because the try...catch covers startup loading only.

I think we can close the case for now due to missing evidences.

No, reloading is working just fine.  Very very odd indeed!  Lets hope a try/catch is an acceptable offering to the Microsoft gods wink

I remember a comment in a Microsoft library code.

// This code was added by Steve. It doesn't do anything, but if we remove it, program crashes. No one knows why. Please do not remove the following code.

Popov I am getting overflow errors in the generator and in the interface.
See pic attached.

Also the generator does not seem as if it is working at times even though the calculations continue or maybe not seeing an update of the equity window and the generator is actually working. Than there is so much new to the generator I might just not have criteria loose enough to see a lot of change.

smile

Doug

Did you save this strategy? Do you now the indicator name and parameters?

11 (edited by slipshod 2013-05-30 11:00:47)

Popov, running the Generator now it refuses to do anything when I click the Generate button, just makes a "bong" error noise.  I didn't change much in the options (just de-selected a few indicators), and haven't yet found any clue as to what's causing it...

Also, there's no way to see the details of each strategy in the Generator (in terms of the indicator settings), only the list of indicators chosen and the trading breakdown.  Once you choose to accept a strategy, the window's closed and the others are lost.  Being able to manually analyse a range of generated strategies back on the main window is therefore impossible.  I know this'd be a new feature & hence outside the scope of a beta that's close to release, but I thought it worth mentioning in case it hasn't been already wink

Also the generator does not seem as if it is working at times even though the calculations continue or maybe not seeing an update of the equity window and the generator is actually working. Than there is so much new to the generator I might just not have criteria loose enough to see a lot of change.

Doug, I'm seeing that with the old "Stable" version too - often the best results appear in the first few minutes before any green appears on the horizontal fill bar, and the rest of the time the generator runs without any apparent results.

Popov, running the Generator now it refuses to do anything when I click the Generate button, just makes a "bong" error noise.

That means Generator doesn't have spaces to generate - all slots are locked and the max allowed count of slots is reached.

See here: https://github.com/PopovMP/Forex-Strate … torMath.cs
Line 432:         private bool CheckAvailableIndicators()

Once you choose to accept a strategy, the window's closed and the others are lost.

Forex Strategy Builder remembers last 100 generated strategies. You can go up and down on history log by using Ctrl + H (H comes from History) and Ctrl + J shortcut keys. See also Edit menu.
Generator saves your strategies even if you press Cancel button. You can retrieve the canceled strategy by going one step back and one step forward  (Ctrl + H, Ctrl + J)

I know this'd be a new feature & hence outside the scope of a beta that's close to release, but I thought it worth mentioning in case it hasn't been already

I already decided to include possibilities to see and change indicator parameters in Generator. This feature will be available in FSB Pro.

13 (edited by slipshod 2013-05-30 11:52:16)

Popov wrote:

Popov, running the Generator now it refuses to do anything when I click the Generate button, just makes a "bong" error noise.

That means Generator doesn't have spaces to generate - all slots are locked and the max allowed count of slots is reached.

Unfortunately that's not the case in my testing.  I've got extra slots open, can't Generate (pic attached below).  Prior to installing this version I was running 2.93b, which didn't have this issue.  Thanks for the pointers on History, I'll try them out once I'm able to generate again...

14 (edited by slowkey 2013-05-30 12:08:14)

Popov wrote:

Did you save this strategy? Do you now the indicator name and parameters?

Probably can help you here. This strategy will cause the error when the program is loaded. When you hit continue the error goes away but the indicator chart is blank with an x in it. If you load in a demo strategy it stays the same but if you close the program and reopen it with the demo strategy saved as the opening strategy everything is normal. Reproduced it. Here is the strategy. I have also seen errors in the generator but I was using it randomly and did not have a strategy saved.

Doug smile

PS ... is there a way to upload two attachments to a post.

I think after saving a post, you can "Edit" it and a new attachment menu appears.

http://s21.postimg.org/g7s7bvgkz/screenshot_25.jpg

That's excellent way to report bugs. Thank you Doug.

Be sure I'll fix it for next release.

The reason for the crash is that Multiplier of Percent BB indicator is set to zero, but we have Minimum value = 1 in the code ???

http://s21.postimg.org/eu0kgkhbn/screenshot_26.jpg

The $1 000 000 question is why we have this value. You cannot set this value in the indicator properties dialog window. So it must be Generator that have set it. If it does so, it may produce periodically out of margin params and to cause mane crashes. I'll investigate the case.

@slipshod , please close FSB and send me your config.xml file.
I hope to reproduce the issue.

@Doug, if you want to attach images, a more convenient way is to use PostImage.org. The next to last icon on menu above the post form.

20 (edited by slipshod 2013-05-30 14:04:39)

Popov wrote:

@slipshod , please close FSB and send me your config.xml file.
I hope to reproduce the issue.

Attached.  Your comment about the config file got me thinking though.  When it installed, I overwrote the folder that 2.93b was in, telling it not to keep the existing settings - however it did seem to keep the same config.xml as the history & instruments were unchanged, so this installer doesn't seem to be doing its job in that respect.

Therefore I decided just now to install it to another completely new folder.  It opens ok, and the generator works.  I close FSB, open it again, and it crashes on Loading Custom Indicators - tried multiple times but it crashes consistently unless I run the installer again.  What a mess, any suggestions?  hmm

PS: I'm lucky 2.76 still works!

Generator doesn't want to run because there is no enough indicators.

1. The settings allow generating of 4 Closing logic slots, but there is no closing point indicator that allows the use of closing logic slots.
The only allowed closing point indicators are: Donchian Channel and Envelops. They do not allow using closing logic slots .You have to unban at least Bar Closing.

2. You have set max 4 Closing logic slots, but you have all such indicators banned except RSI. FSB will not generate RSI in 4 slots. You have to unban at least 3 more closing logic indicators.

however it did seem to keep the same config.xml as the history & instruments were unchanged

FSB never override symbol settings and does not delete data files put there by the user. It can at maximum override the files that comes with the distribution.

If you save FSB v2.98RC over an old installation, it copies all your files (indicators, data and configs) from the old installation.

However it must not crash.
Can you reproduce the steps leading to crash at loading custom indicators?

Popov wrote:

:
@Doug, if you want to attach images, a more convenient way is to use PostImage.org. The next to last icon on menu above the post form.

Oh goodness ... I see now... Thanks Popov

smile
Doug

Popov wrote:

Generator doesn't want to run because there is no enough indicators.

1. The settings allow generating of 4 Closing logic slots, but there is no closing point indicator that allows the use of closing logic slots.
The only allowed closing point indicators are: Donchian Channel and Envelops. They do not allow using closing logic slots .You have to unban at least Bar Closing.

2. You have set max 4 Closing logic slots, but you have all such indicators banned except RSI. FSB will not generate RSI in 4 slots. You have to unban at least 3 more closing logic indicators.

Ah ok, I misunderstood the meaning of the terms then.  I was thinking that it needed up to 4 indicators to fill at least one of the 4 available slots, not a minimum of 4 indicators to fill all of them (even if it doesn't end up using them all).

however it did seem to keep the same config.xml as the history & instruments were unchanged

FSB never override symbol settings and does not delete data files put there by the user. It can at maximum override the files that comes with the distribution.

The installer does have the checkboxes for Preserving (or not) the existing settings and instruments.  If it still keeps the existing config.xml and instruments.xml even with those checkboxes unticked, what exactly do they mean?

Can you reproduce the steps leading to crash at loading custom indicators?

Yes, unfortunately.  I install to a new directory, run FSB, close it, run it again.  Nothing more complicated than that.  The first time it works, 2nd time onwards it crashes.  No new indicators in the Indicators folder, everything exactly as put there by the installer.

The installer does have the checkboxes for Preserving (or not) the existing settings and instruments.  If it still keeps the existing config.xml and instruments.xml even with those checkboxes unticked, what exactly do they mean?

I see now. I haven't updated location of config files to delete. Installer tries to delete config files where they ware in old file structure instead of in "User Files" directory. I'll fix it. Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately.  I install to a new directory, run FSB, close it, run it again.  Nothing more complicated than that.  The first time it works, 2nd time onwards it crashes.  No new indicators in the Indicators folder, everything exactly as put there by the installer.

I cannot reproduce this crash.
Can you zip and send me the whole FSB installation that crashes. FSB is portable. I'll try to put it and run from my comp.