Topic: Discussion about FSB / FST at Steve Hopwood's Forum

I found a very active and useful thread about FSB / FST at Steve Hopwood's forex forum: Forex Strategy Builder and Trader

The thread is started by Slowkey. He made an excellent intro about the programs and also several videos.

I'm sure we can receive extremely valuable feedback from there. We can also help those guys with hints and insides about the programs.

Re: Discussion about FSB / FST at Steve Hopwood's Forum

Found it, too! Doug is reworking his videos and making new ones, at some point we should link his videos in our forum as well I think. Hopefully that thread will have legs, it went quiet very quickly...

EDIT: I see we are taking over Hopwood's forum big_smile

Hey Footon,

footon wrote:

Hopefully that thread will have legs, it went quiet very quickly...

That's because we came over here, grabbed the software, and started playing with it wink

I don't know why this never came up on google when I was searching for forex strategy building software:(

Have fun!

Radar  =8^)

I don't know why this never came up on google when I was searching for forex strategy building software:(

It's said: FSB is best kept secret in the world ))))))))))))

Hey Popov,

Popov wrote:

It's said: FSB is best kept secret in the world ))))))))))))

It looks like the cat is out of the bag now wink Great piece of software! smile

Have fun!

Radar  =8^)

footon wrote:

Found it, too! Doug is reworking his videos and making new ones, at some point we should link his videos in our forum as well I think. Hopefully that thread will have legs, it went quiet very quickly...

EDIT: I see we are taking over Hopwood's forum big_smile

Of course you are all very welcome to come over and liven up the place. smile
I suspect that people are still learning the software. The view count is getting close to 2000 and new members I think are a little shy in the automated trading section of the forum. Than at the beginning of the thread a lot of the focus was from people who were talking about other software and curve fitting and I tried to gently steer them back to the topic of the thread. I will be remaking the Intro videos once I work through the forums here. Just trying to get a little historical perspective of the software. I am about half way through the FSB thread here. I am retired with some health issues so I can not push the envelope to much but I enjoyed making the videos and I will be making a tutorial on logical groups hopefully in the next few weeks. I also need to feed my addiction to the software a little by using it rather than talking about it. I think if we can come up with a working EA from a strategy developed in the software that will spur interest and to that end I have been working on some strategies that are showing some signs of progress. I appreciate Popov and his support of my thread. That should spur interest in the thread that he and others are participating.
Doug
smile

Hello Doug,
Welcome back in our community!

FSB is going to his new release and it has some major changes. The current beta v2.91 is more or less the final shape, but one more thing appeared today: correct Pips and Points representation.

It's seems I have to fixed it once for ever, but it will be necessary for little adjustment of the current strategies.
Two things will be incompatibly different in the new release:
1. New indicators format
2. Pips and Points corrected meaning.

Since this will make difference for the old indicators and strategies, I'll announce the new release as FSB v3.0. It will be free and open source and also will be 100% compatible with FSB Pro.

FSB v2 will remain available for download and use as a legacy.

In that connection I think that the videos must be made for that new release. For now, you can use the last beta v2.91. I'll prepare the release candidate of v3 till the end of the week.

Since these are my fresh thoughts, I ask you and my moderators for their opinion about it.

About videos. I think we can make a thread for the scenarios, where to discuss the parts and the scripts.
Also we have to make a thread where you'll link all your videos.

If you want you can make scripts or draft videos for various subjects and features of software. Later we can edit the script and scenario.

I hope more advanced users will help with hints in the process. Also all users can make advices to include topics they do not catch completely.

Popov wrote:

Hello Doug,
Welcome back in our community!

FSB is going to his new release and it has some major changes. It's current beta v2.91 is more or less the final shape, but one more thing appeared today: correct Pips and Points representation.

It's seems I have to fixed it once for ever, but it will be necessary for little adjustment of the current strategies.
Two things will be incompatibly different in the new release:
1. New indicators format
2. Pips and Points corrected meaning.

Since this will make difference for the old indicators and strategies, I'll announce the new release as FSB v3.0. It will be free and open source and also will be 100% compatible with FSB Pro.

FSB v2 will remain available for download and use as a legacy.

In that connection I think that the videos must be made for that new release. For now, you can use the last beta v2.91. I'll prepare the release candidate of v3 till the end of the week.

Since these are my fresh thoughts, I ask you and my moderators for their opinion about it.

About videos. I think we can make a thread for the scenarios, where to discuss the parts and the scripts.
Also we have to make a thread where you'll link all your videos.

If you want you can make scripts or draft videos for various subjects and features of software. Later we can edit the script and scenario.

I hope more advanced users will help with hints in the process. Also all users can make advices to include topics they do not catch completely.

I agree Popov, I will make the videos for the new version 3. I will down load the beta. I am in no hurry so we can start fresh with the new version. I rather not confuse users with videos on the old version 2. The ones on You Tube for that version are adequate for now.  We will make the new videos for the new version  FSB 3. It will give time for everyone to have input and we can develop a consensus of what everyone thinks should be in the new videos. If you want to start a thread for that where everyone here can put there ideas and input that is great. All of what you said makes good sense to me. I uploaded the videos to You Tube because they are very large files. I think you can make videos private on You Tube so if we want to have some pre-released videos I can make them private until we go live with links for everyone here to look at. I will have to double check on that though.
Doug
smile

Doug, we don't need private videos. We can put them in Draft thread and to announce them as work in progress. In that way all users can contribute with ideas.

My suggestion would be to make the videos available easily so as to help people with what they may find to be a steep learning curve, it takes some people a while to grasp this software and they need to be able to have resources easily.

IMHO

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

11 (edited by slowkey 2013-05-19 22:44:15)

Popov wrote:

Doug, we don't need private videos. We can put them in Draft thread and to announce them as work in progress. In that way all users can contribute with ideas.

I did not mean private in the sense that everyone here could not see them but rather private to searches on You Tube until everyone here has a chance to see them. The links would be here for all to see.

Sorry for any confusion.

If that is not possible than I will shrink them somehow and get them up here.

Doug

I suggest that you let Popov add the URL's to the documentation pages and then he can arrange to advertise them on the forum.

They need not be on his server, the youtube URL will serve as well

Hello Doug,

I make a short tutorial about proper setting of FSB by using the real broker's params vie MT4 and FST.
The tutorial is here: Set FSB by Using Information from FST

You can use it in your tutorial videos.

14 (edited by slowkey 2013-05-20 19:05:52)

Popov wrote:

Hello Doug,

I make a short tutorial about proper setting of FSB by using the real broker's params vie MT4 and FST.

Very nice Popov, How often have you found this data needing updated. Every time you develop new strategies only or is there other reasons to keep it current.
Doug

I think how to link your current videos.
We can make a separate thread where to put them. The forum can integrate and play YouTube video.
Other option is to make a wiki page for the videos and to leave the comments here in the forum.

For now I'll make a new thread "Doug's Video Project" in this category where will put your current videos. Later will see what will be the best presentation.

How often have you found this data needing updated. Every time you develop new strategies only or is there other reasons to keep it current.

I think it has to be done once, when we start working with a broker. What can be changed are Spread and Long / Short swaps. If we set a little bit higher spread and 10-20 points slippage, we'll can expect reasonably reliable backtest.

17 (edited by slowkey 2013-05-20 19:49:38)

Popov wrote:

I think how to link your current videos.
We can make a separate thread where to put them. The forum can integrate and play YouTube video.
Other option is to make a wiki page for the videos and to leave the comments here in the forum.

For now I'll make a new thread "Doug's Video Project" in this category where will put your current videos. Later will see what will be the best presentation.

You probably know how to do this but just follow the links to my videos and under share you can get the code to embed them on your site or just to link them. Up to you depending on what your forum supports. If it allows embedding than people can just watch them on the site here. I am easy going person. What ever works best for you all as far as the wiki page. You know what has worked best here.
Cheers
Doug
smile

Doug, I posted the videos, but really think that you have to repost them. You are the author and the hero here smile
Also all likes must go to you smile

To post a video, copy the youtube video URL, and post it in 'video' tags. You can use the youtube button over the post form.

Popov wrote:

Doug, I posted the videos, but really think that you have to repost them. You are the author and the hero here smile
Also all likes must go to you smile

To post a video, copy the youtube video URL, and post it in 'video' tags. You can use the youtube button over the post form.

Done Popov,

The next thing you will have me doing is learning C#, Oh I guess I have already started to that. smile Everything is available on Itunes U. lol

Doug

20 (edited by slowkey 2013-05-20 23:03:08)

Popov wrote:

Hello Doug,

Just another question about adjusting data to another broker.  Let say I down load Truefx tick data and import it. Than I use the technique in your tutorial to adjust it to IBFX swaps and spread. It would seem to me that having perfectly reliable data would win out over having less than perect hst data from IBFX with holes and other issues if it is adjusted right like you show in your tutorial. Is there any breakdown in my logic related to this concept. I am going to try it any way since it is hard to pass up free high quality tick data. smile

Oh as I do this I realize that this data is updated every month. So lets say I get all of eurusd data up until this month imported. Can I just import the month of May when it becomes available or do I have to add it to all of the previous data and import the whole data set all over with the new data added to it.
Doug

slowkey wrote:

Just another question about adjusting data to another broker.  Let say I down load Truefx tick data and import it. Than I use the technique in your tutorial to adjust it to IBFX swaps and spread. It would seem to me that having perfectly reliable data would win out over having less than perect hst data from IBFX with holes and other issues if it is adjusted right like you show in your tutorial. Is there any breakdown in my logic related to this concept. I am going to try it any way since it is hard to pass up free high quality tick data. smile
Doug

In terms of trading actual strats, it's better to use the same broker's data you intend to trade with. Little discrepancies in data between brokers add up and alter strategy performance to s**t. That's my experience.

On the other hand a conclusion can be drawn that a strategy, which works only on one broker, is genuinely a bad one, suffering from somekind of curve fitting, for instance.

footon wrote:
slowkey wrote:

Doug

In terms of trading actual strats, it's better to use the same broker's data you intend to trade with. Little discrepancies in data between brokers add up and alter strategy performance to s**t. That's my experience.

On the other hand a conclusion can be drawn that a strategy, which works only on one broker, is genuinely a bad one, suffering from somekind of curve fitting, for instance.

Thanks Footon for your advice. I will use hst data for now with my brokers data.

Doug

If I may offer some additional thoughts, I am the trader in Steve Hopwood's forum who posted in reply to slowkey's thread on FSB.  Regarding the use of broker data vs TrueFX or any other data import, my experience was that I learned to use FSB with Truefx import, only as a means to learn how to create strategies.  Over time, with experience, I then learned the more fine points of the differences between TrueFX and other's data vs my selected broker's data, ATCBrokers.  The data from ATCBrokers is a wholesale ECN feed. The only additional charge is from the Broker's commission as the rates are derived from the clearinghouse / liquidity provider.

I found it was most important to use tic data when performing testing, as opposed to end of bar data, as end of bar data could be misleading.  An example could be a 20 pip spike in a bar, only for the bar to close negative and the trade to be closed at a loss. Having the tic data for analysis, at least for me, has been most valuable.  My strategies are developed with signals (action) issued at the beginning of a bar which allows for the potential use of the full bar data . This allowed me to further develop a strategy which provides me with at least 1 period advance notice of pending changes in price direction.

If I am going to make proper choices for data, it is also most important to select proper broker services, and fees, as well as data feed. For consideration, I needed to monitor speed of fills, any concerns of MT4 modules on server to slow fills, is network ECN data or a modified "A" / "B" book where your trades are handed off based on your profitability or lack of?;  Customer service actions / speed to address issues; Where are funds held? Any issues with withdrawals? Is scalping allowed?  If so, any minimum requirements for time in position?  Technical support of MT4 issues, what Hardware and Server backup capabilities are in place?; with regards to international routing - where are the servers located?; and other issues; How close is the clearing server to the clearing house?  Is the data from the demo server the same data as the clearing server ( there is a difference with some brokers); Are the spreads on demo the same as spreads on live feed? If the phone system goes down, what, if any, alternatives for contact?  These and many other questions.

So assuming the broker passes these questions, then I begin collecting the tic data from the broker. That tic data is collected and then converted to meet FSB format, which then is used for strategy testing.   On each Sunday, before start of session, I analyze prior week of data for any changes in volatility, conditions etc. with reference to my strategies. If markets have unusual output changes, I will then modify data for use on a time period that will allow me to adjust to market changes. By being able to select my broker based on the above criteria, this gives me great confidence in the data, and should any issues arise, my ability to solve those issues quickly. (Note: I do not work for ATCBrokers and have accounts with them for 6 years. I know the owner personally and have additional support on skype and personal mobile).

I do run multiple strategies on multiple MT4 instances on systems which are separate from the development systems. I work with a large global group of traders as the Chief Market Technician, Strategy Developer and Trade Manager. I have been serving in the industry since 1998 and have experience as a top FX Account Manager  / Market Analyst for a major Chicago based brokerage firm; acted as a advisory service to large fund, held workshops and webinars on TraderKingdom, and many other noted sites.

If I can be of service, please let me know.

BoldTrader

Great post, thanks for your insights.

Thank you BoldTrader for sharing your experience!
I'm sure many of us can learn something from you.