Topic: Importing FXCM Strategy Trader Data

Nice work popov as usual

I have one question regarding types of data

i use fxcm strategy trader software as a source of old data " 10 years of data " but i canot open it with fsb !!  any hint how to use fxcm data with FSB

Regards

Re: Importing FXCM Strategy Trader Data

Ahmed, I'm not familiar with FXCM Strategy Trader. I'll download it and see what is its data format.

3 (edited by ahmedalhoseny 2012-04-26 13:14:48)

Dear popov
attached here one of data formate extracted from fxcm

regards

Post's attachments

AUDCAD 1 Day.zip 33.05 kb, 12 downloads since 2012-04-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

<Date>, <Time>, <Open>, <High>, <Low>, <Close>, <Volume>
2002.01.02,16:00,0.81380,0.82410,0.81060,0.82120,0
2002.01.03,16:00,0.82120,0.82500,0.81880,0.82240,0
2002.01.04,16:00,0.82240,0.83220,0.82100,0.83050,0
2002.01.07,16:00,0.83050,0.83050,0.82550,0.82770,0

This format doesn't differ from FSB formats.
Do you have an idea why daily bars starts at 16:00?

Can you post some parts of other time frame data?

5 (edited by ahmedalhoseny 2012-04-26 13:33:55)

for 16:00 as a start i don't know the reason , weekly data from there software starts at 17:00 !!!!

and regarding to data formats it couldn't accessed by FSB always been rejected

Is it because the name of file  the name is  AUDCAD 1 Day

Post's attachments

data folder.png 37.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

data attached

Post's attachments

data.zip 989.84 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-04-26 

To load data files you have to:
- Rename the files according to FSB convention: Data Files.
- Remove first row: <Date>, <Time>, <Open>, <High>, <Low>, <Close>, <Volume>
- For daily data - fix hour to 00:00

Thanks popov
i thought this is the only way to fix data but i have to do it every day when updating data from fxcm server

So Do you have a plan in future to make FSB more fixable in reading different types of data like AdvancedGet software  " they have an early setup to select if you need to ignore the head row , volume row also to select from wide variety of date and time formats!!!' 

Thanks again

So Do you have a plan in future to make FSB more fixable in reading different types of data like AdvancedGet software  " they have an early setup to select if you need to ignore the head row , volume row also to select from wide variety of date and time formats!!!'

All this is done.

The problems are file names and daily data hours. I can easily make an importer but I do not succeed in downloading FXCM data.
How do you download data from them?
I tried with QuoteManager that comes with Startegy Trader but no success.

Dear Popov

It take me two times to be able to download there historical data and sync with newly updated data

1st you need to download there historic data for all pairs and unzip and save them on your hard disc

You can access from here
http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/free-strategy-trader-historical-data/220967-free-strategy-trader-historical-data.html

2nd use quote manager to open the historic data you have already downloaded  , this step will save the data in new formate to be used every time you open the platform " it takes some time to save all historic data and sync with newly updated data from server "

This link will guide you how to download ,save and recall  the data

http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/strategy-trader-webinars/223487-basic-importing-data-into-strategy-trader.html

Regards

!!!! 19 minutes instruction movie about updating historical data!!

Lets first FXCM improve their data update and I'll make an importer.

12 (edited by ahmedalhoseny 2012-04-28 11:16:34)

smile 19 mins for newbie to understand

Any How it will be a good addition to have a strong data importer

Thaaaaaaaaaaanx

Hi all !!

I've found the Eurusd FXCM data from 2001 here: ( http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/free-strategy-trader-historical-data/220967-free-strategy-trader-historical-data.html )

but is there a simple way to convert this text format for FSB ?? I pasted it in Excel but every data is into only one column...

Thanks in advance,
Mickael

For those who are interested by fxcm data.
They can provide an amazing software able to download data from one period to another, tick by tick or whatever you want on a large panel of currency pairs.
Either you buy this software 500dollars or you put 5000dollars on a real account an you got it for free.

Wish you the best

Mickael

Mickaelfx wrote:

Hi all !!

I've found the Eurusd FXCM data from 2001 here: ( http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/free-strategy-trader-historical-data/220967-free-strategy-trader-historical-data.html )

but is there a simple way to convert this text format for FSB ?? I pasted it in Excel but every data is into only one column...

Thanks in advance,
Mickael

Mickaelfx wrote:

Hi all !!

Thanks in advance,
Mickael

Maybe this will work:
- File > Open
- select ".csv", not the default ".xls" or ".xl-something"
- hit enter
then will open a dialog, how to import the csv? Should have an option for "column delimiter" -- select either comma or tab. There should be a preview screen.

then change the time column to format as "HH:MM:SS".

then Save As ... > as a .csv file, not the default .xls.

Open the file in a text editor, delete the first row if it is "Date, Open, High, ...", the first row should be data only not column header.

Thanks Krog!

Actually, I've succeeded to download their historical data from their own software called Historical data downloader,but I still got an error when FSB is launching.The file is in CSV format.
Coud not count the data bars ! and Error in the data file..
Please see my picture attached smile
Thanks in advance to let me know what is going wrong.

krog wrote:
Mickaelfx wrote:

Hi all !!

Thanks in advance,
Mickael

Maybe this will work:
- File > Open
- select ".csv", not the default ".xls" or ".xl-something"
- hit enter
then will open a dialog, how to import the csv? Should have an option for "column delimiter" -- select either comma or tab. There should be a preview screen.

then change the time column to format as "HH:MM:SS".

then Save As ... > as a .csv file, not the default .xls.

Open the file in a text editor, delete the first row if it is "Date, Open, High, ...", the first row should be data only not column header.

Post's attachments

Real fxcm data CSV file.JPG
Real fxcm data CSV file.JPG 49.16 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-06-08 

delete the first line as Krog told you!

The problem is that column delimiter is comma and decimal separator is also comma.
You have to change one of them.
You can try changing windows localisation in order to make decimal separator "dot"

I've deleted the first line like footon remind me and switched my clock to UTC (by the way, it unfortunately didn't change anything)

I still got this message at the launch: FSB cannot load a historical data file and is going to use integrated data.

The thing is that I've replaced the original FSB data by FXCM's one and that FSB is able to load my strategy when I click file, open!

Is it necessary to get dot instead of comma or the data below should be readable for FSB ?

Thanks again to help me out, I'll soon share my strategy in my post when I'll be sure that evertything's fine.

Post's attachments

Real FXCM data.JPG
Real FXCM data.JPG 55.35 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-06-08 

It must be like this: 1.29251,1.29253 etc

Okay.Then, I've either got to find a soft able to do so, or I got some weeks of work ;(

footon wrote:

It must be like this: 1.29251,1.29253 etc

It's just a matter of formatting, you should be able to select how you want it formatted in excel. Window opens before data is shown, and you just have to choose the right options.

I now have too much dots....any ideas ?? Cause FSB doesn't know where is the date now wink
And everything is inside the same column, so I really don't know how to deal with that sad

footon wrote:

It's just a matter of formatting, you should be able to select how you want it formatted in excel. Window opens before data is shown, and you just have to choose the right options.

Post's attachments

too much dots.........JPG
too much dots.........JPG 59.53 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-06-08 

if you open the file in notepad, how does it look then (the dots and commas)?

and brush up on your excel: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel … 99725.aspx