Topic: Improving Strategy Structure

I think to separate Money Management, Adding Rules and Protections to three different slots.

http://s3.postimage.org/22mubvthg/strategy_project.jpg

Money Management slot will show the trading amounts. Martingale system will be added also.

Adding, Reducing, Reversing logic will be the same like now.

Alternative Closing Points will be moved below the closing logic slots.
This slot will be expanded with all kind of SL, TP, Trailing Stop, N Bars Exit, Account Percent Stop...

I hope that this rearrangement will make the strategy structure more intuitive and all params will be visible.
What do you think?

Re: Improving Strategy Structure

Looks good. I think the 'Permanent Stop Loss' and 'Permanent Take Profit' should be able to be set independently. i.e have a 'Permanent Stop Loss' set but get the generator to work out the best 'Permanent Take Profit' point.

i.e have a 'Permanent Stop Loss' set but get the generator to work out the best 'Permanent Take Profit' point.

Yes, this will be able like now.

The main purpose of this separation will be to take out the different stops from the indicator slots and to make them available as alternative exits.
For example Trailing Stop. Now we cannot use some indicator exit and a Trailing Stop.
This field will give possibility of fine tune of the exit. Something like:

Stop Loss [Fixed   ]  [Relative ]  [value] in  [Pips     ]
          [Trailing]  [Permanent]              [Currency ]
                                               [% Account]

Take Profit [Relative ]  [value] in  [Pips     ]
            [Permanent]              [Currency ]
                                     [% Account]

Break Even [value] in [Pips     ]
                      [Currency ]
                      [% Account]

Where:
"Relative" - the stop will be reset at every adding. (like now)
"Permanent" means that the stop loss will be sat at opening of the position and not changed on adding.

It will be also available to set stops in dollars or euro, or in % of the current account.

It's possible also to add Day closing and Weekend closing there as a separate exit rules.

I have found that the present system is a bit awkward, I would like to be able to optimize the stop and take profit more easily. I think that is what you seem to be revising.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

I would like to be able to optimize the stop and take profit more easily.

Stop Loss and Take Profit will be included in optimizer.

I think the learning curve with Strategy Builder can be long as the number of tools is extensive. It seems that every week or so I see something else that I can add to my tool box.  My profit figures have been rising as weeks pass and it seems there is always one more thing to try....

Popov wrote:

For example Trailing Stop. Now we cannot use some indicator exit and a Trailing Stop.
This field will give possibility of fine tune of the exit. Something like:

It will be also available to set stops in dollars or euro, or in % of the current account.

It's possible also to add Day closing and Weekend closing there as a separate exit rules.

I have been waiting for a long time of these features smile

Exit rules are even more important than entry rules. Different exit rules combined with money management are the keys to make money and protect capital in the long run. Logical groups and break-even was a great improvement, but these features will take the whole thing into the next level.

Please could you also make the Parabolic Sar indicator available as a Closing Logic Condition. Currently it is only available as a Closing Point of the Position.

Please could you also make the Parabolic Sar indicator available as a Closing Logic Condition. Currently it is only available as a Closing Point of the Position.

Yes, this is not going to be difficult. Please explain what logic conditions you need. I'll make a custom indicator.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a setting which could govern the number of trades in a 24 hour period.

I feel that may be quite beneficial.

It could be added to FST but we have to add some variable in the program to store the value.
Probably will be better to add this in the expert. This will keep FST stateless.

Also we can make:
- max deals per day;
- max lots per day;
- max loss in dollars per day;
- max profit in dollars per day.

This can be made like the Min Account Protection in the current expert.

I feel that allowing some access to number of deals per day will allow people to make a tighter result. ie have a steady number of transactions as opposed to a small one today and a huge trade a couple days later.

Perhaps this would give people a better control, especially people working on the smaller time frames who look to fast trades with small take profit.

Thanks for considering this.

Yes, it`s exactly that I was waiting for.  Can`t wait to get it my hands smile

Hello everyone,
I'm totally new to this whole strategy-automizing thing and also to this forum. Just wanted to let you know how much your work with setting up this program for free is appreciated.

p.s. by when do you think your improvement with martingale and stuff is going to be implemented? - sounds   
      great to me 

greets from Germany,

ck1981

Speaking of stops: and this might already be possible......

Set your stop as a bases of ATR, or upon feedback of a specific indicator?

2.5X ATR or
stop set to last pivot point up,
etc.

Popov wrote:

How is this coding progressing?

SpiderMan wrote:
Popov wrote:

He posted a mew version in early October.

Did you know that you can contribute to coding, the program is open source..... and even if you are not a coder you can contribute a 'flow chart' to show how your enhancement ideas can be implemented.

Blaiserboy wrote:
SpiderMan wrote:
Popov wrote:

He posted a mew version in early October.

Did you know that you can contribute to coding, the program is open source..... and even if you are not a coder you can contribute a 'flow chart' to show how your enhancement ideas can be implemented.

Yes, I downloaded the new version but there were no changes to the exit rules as far as I can see. I cannot code to save my life but am happy to contribute what I can.

I am no coder either. lol, I think I will have to try to learn a bit so that I can understand more of what this program does.

I would like to see some different results for my strategies and I am thinking that i will have to analyze what is happening in order to ask for some modifications to the program.

Have a great weekend...!!

The most important thing I would like to see is an alternative close separate from the main logic so that the position is always closed at the end of the week to avoid the weekend gap. At the moment I have many strategies that look good but I have to manually look at the results to see if they are as a result of the price gap in the direction of the trade over the weekend. This is very time consuming and doesn't really lend itself to optimisation.

In these volatile times the mere thought of holding a position over the weekend gives me sleepless nights. All we need is for the US to start bombing Iran, or the Italians to default on their sovereign debt one weekend and Monday morning my position could be 2500 pips light. The most important aspect in forex trading is defining and limiting risk. I know many traders will say that the weekend gap is not important because on average you will win just as many times as you lose. That may be true but you only need one Black Swan event to blow up your account and I see the weekend gap as a Black Swan in waiting. I could still be caught during normal trading times but my stop should always save me the worst of the pain even if there is a lot of slippage.

This thread explains exactly what would be needed:-

http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/2541/trailing-stop-limit-but-always-close-at-the-end-of-the-week-regardless/

I have tried building strategies based on the week close as exit by locking in the slot but they always fall way behind other exit strategies like a trailing stop.

So to summarise, an alternate close at the end of the week that works in parallel to the strategy closing logic would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi SpiderMan,
I agree, I wouldn't want to hold a position over the weekend either.
I made an indicator a while back that sounds similar:
http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/2228/day-of-week-exit/
(allows to set a block of time to force exit, example, Friday 15:00 - 16:00)
Is this in the right direction?
But I think I understand, it might not work for you, because it needs Bar Closing, but Trailing Stop does not allow Bar Closing exit indicators to be added.

Hi Krog
That is most interesting and opens up a lot more possibilities. A Trailng Stop is not always the best way to exit and maybe the option to close at the end of the week will be more fruitful when used with a different closing strategy. I have just set it up as a second logic slot with Bar Closing to give Bar Closing AND Day of week exit.  I will do some more testing on it and revert back to you. Thanks.

Hello Mr.Popov and everyone  ,
                  I am new to this forum and forex trading .I have made a strategy which uses parabolisSAR(HTF).Closing condition is also psar(HTF).Its opening position is same as in FSB but closing is not ,it closes early even in winning condition (even before SL and psar value).Why it is so?Also after this indicator no other indicator can be put in closing condition.  i think my early closing is b/c of intra bar value,but when i put "Bar Clocing" then PSAR(HTF) can't be put.How it can be solved? Please can any body help me!

Do not use (HTF) indicators. They are known to have bugs. Your testing and real trading trading results will not match.

Use (WTF) version instead:
http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/2438/wid … ndicators/