Topic: Time in position

In Account Statistics, what does Time in Position % mean?

Re: Time in position

It is the percent rate of the bars in which you trade or hold a position against the count of all bars.

From Popov's definition I understand what "Time in Position" means.  However, I'm curious how people treat this metric when it comes to comparing strategies.  I mean, suppose the statistics for two strategies are similar in all respects, but one has a greater % "Time in Position".  Is it a good thing, a bad thing or neither to spend more or less time holding a position?

Suppose a strategy has good statistics but "Time in Position" is higher or lower than some threshold you prefer -- would you toss a strategy based solely on its "Time in Position"?  That is -- how important is it?

Essentially, one can look at it as a risk assessment: the more time in a position, the greater the risk, exposure. Or the more time in a position, the longer the trading capital is "locked" and unusable (tradeable). 2 strats with similar performance - certainly, the one which produces its profit quicker, is the better one. But backtesting doesn't guarantee similar future results, so... smile

Excellent -- I get it.  Thanks, footon.