Topic: Dear Popov or some experienced-A 5-min FX deal for Daily EURUSD Chart?

Hi folks,
Here is a generated method that doubles an account each year, tested on 3 years of fxsb data, and is so simple it seems to be one of those "5-min fx" deals? (i.e., no auto-trading nor 24/5 chart watching!) Correct me if I'm missing something.
Question on how this generator does "stuff":  It says here "Required margin: 100.00 USD for each open lot", does that mean a mini each time?  How can it be a full lot each trime for only $100 per newly opened full lot?  Has to be a mini, right?
And down further below is this statement "Indicator Slots
The slots show the logic for the long positions only. Forex Strategy Builder automatically computes the proper logic for the short positions."  What is this?  Confusing.  It says logics only for Longs, buuuut, it says too it will compute shorts, huh?
Please help with answers if anyoner can, and help see if this can be applied.
Thx!  Jerry
================================
Strategy Overview
Forex Strategy Builder v2.6.1.4
Strategy name: Generated
Date: 11/16/2008 9:24:08 AM

Logic
Opening (Entry Signal)
Open a new long position or add to a winning one at the Upper Band of Donchian Channel* (34, 100).

Open a new or add to a winning short position at the Lower Band of Donchian Channel* (34, 100).

Closing (Exit Signal)
Close an existing long position when the market falls 874 pips or rises 662 pips from the last entry price.

Close an existing short position when the market rises 874 pips or falls 662 pips from the last entry price.

Additional entry** signals handling
Entry signal in the direction of the present position:

Add to a wining position but not to a losing one. If the position is at a loss, cancel the additional entry order. Do not exceed the maximum allowed number of lots to open.
Entry signal in the opposite direction:

No modification of the present position is allowed. Cancel any additional orders which are in the opposite direction.
Trading Sizes
Always trade a constant number of lots.

Opening of a new position - 1 lot.
Adding to a winning position - 1 lot. Do not open more than 20 lots.
Protection
The strategy does not provide a permanent loss limitation.

--------------
* Use the indicator value from the previous bar for all indicators marked with asterisk!
** The averaging rules apply to the entry signals only. Exit signals close a position. They are not allowed to open, add or reduce one.

Environment
Market
Symbol: GBPUSD
Time frame: 1 Day
Spread: 5 pips (5.00 USD)
Swap Long: 1 pip (1.00 USD)
Swap Short: -1 pip (-1.00 USD)
Slippage: 0 pips (0.00 USD)
Lot size: 10000.00 GBP
Leverage: 1/100

Account
Initial account: 10000.00 USD
Required margin: 100.00 USD for each open lot

Strategy Properties
Additional entry signals handling
A same direction signal:  Adds to a winning position
An opposite direction signal:  Does nothing

Trading size
Maximum open lots:  20
Entry lots:  1
Adding lots:  1
Reducing lots:  1

Permanent loss protection
Permanent Stop Loss:  None

Indicator Slots
The slots show the logic for the long positions only. Forex Strategy Builder automatically computes the proper logic for the short positions.

Opening point of the position
Donchian Channel
Enter long at the Upper Band
Base price - High & Low
Period - 34
Shift - 100
Use previous bar value - Yes
Closing point of the position
Stop Limit
Exit at the Stop Loss or the Take Profit level
Stop Loss - -874
Take Profit - 662

Statistic Information
Market Account
Symbol GBPUSD Intrabar scanning Not accomplished
Period 1 Day Interpolation method Pessimistic scenario
Number of bars 948 Ambiguous bars 0
Date of updating 08/29/08 Tested bars 811
Time of updating 00:00 Initial account 10000.00 USD
Date of beginning 01/03/05 Account balance 32436.00 USD
Time of beginning 00:00 Minimum account 10000.00 USD
Data refining Switched off Maximum account 32436.00 USD
Minimum price 1.7048 Maximum drawdown 914.00 USD
Maximum price 2.1159 Gross profit 23350.00 USD
Average Gap 4 pips Gross loss 914.00 USD
Maximum Gap 87 pips Sent orders 3679
Average High-Low 139 pips Executed orders 41
Maximum High-Low 394 pips Dealt lots 70
Average Close-Open 71 pips Winning trades 5
Maximum Close-Open 329 pips Losing trades 1
Maximum days off 4 Win/loss ratio 5
Maximum data bars 20000 Time in position 54 %
No data older than 1/1/2005 Charged spread 175.00 USD
No data newer than No limits Charged rollover 1510.00 USD
  Charged slippage 0.00 USD
  Total charges 1685.00 USD
  Balance without charges 34121.00 USD
  Account exchange rate 1.0000

Re: Dear Popov or some experienced-A 5-min FX deal for Daily EURUSD Chart?

Hello,

It says here "Required margin: 100.00 USD for each open lot", does that mean a mini each time?  How can it be a full lot each time for only $100 per newly opened full lot?  Has to be a mini, right?

Forex Strategy Builder calculates the Required Margin dynamically. It depends on the lot size, the leverage, and the number of open lots. Before starting the test someone should set the parameters of the account and the instrument to match his real account with his broker.

Indicator Slots
The slots show the logic for the long positions only. Forex Strategy Builder automatically computes the proper logic for the short positions."  What is this?  Confusing.  It says logics only for Longs, buuuut, it says too it will compute shorts, huh?

We've made it this way to save time by decreasing the number of parameters someone has to set in half. Example:

Donchian Channel: Enter long at the Upper Band

That means when the market price reaches the Upper Band of the Donchian Channel you should open long position and in the other case, when the price falls to the Lower Band you should open short. In Forex Strategy Builder it is not necessary to set both rules.

Setting "Donchian Channel: Enter long at the Upper Band" is completely enough. You don't have to set somewhere "Donchian Channel: Enter short at the Lower Band".

That is explained in the help. Even if you read your post you'll see:

Opening (Entry Signal)
Open a new long position or add to a winning one at the Upper Band of Donchian Channel* (34, 100).

Open a new or add to a winning short position at the Lower Band of Donchian Channel* (34, 100).

hi Popov,
THIS: "Indicator Slots
The slots show the logic for the long positions only. Forex Strategy Builder automatically computes the proper logic for the short positions."
Your English should be written as:  "Although "Slots" only show long position logic, it also applies to shorts."

However, Since slots don't descriminate as to a rule applying to short or long only anyway, this whole paragraph is useless:
The slots show the logic for the long positions only. Forex Strategy Builder automatically computes the proper logic for the short positions."

Notice I was able to not only correct the English, but also the not so logic-ness of those two sentences even having to be around.

This is why, Popov, even though I'm enthraled by your great work with FXSB, these things "took me aback", I felt perplexed by the translation department, so only read smatterings of your help or info.  In large part I think most folks are "out of here" before very long due to language barrier and the obfuscation brought about by the terms used and fx difficulties "handled" via said language barrier, thus fxsb more or less "dies on the vine".

I feel this fxsb is wondeful and has great potential, but these areas must be straightened out otherwise it "dies on the vine" sooner or later.

Nothing to intimidate, you've done brilliant painstaking work Popov to get this far, absolutely to be commended, just that I as engineer for 12 years once myself when younger know these barriers to be true and can see them for what they are, nothing to disaqualify you as having done amazing job!

Sooooo, having enterred upon these conclusions, could we switch subject back to that first post of this thread concerning an FXSB result.  It seems as if it is something that would be ok for an end of day fx-trade adjust (open, close, adjust trades) at 5pm-EST.  Please interpret it for us and tell us if true.  Tell us in plain English how you would trade this result (which is basically what I was asking for, although I did include my befuddlements (another reason one can't get very far very fast here is the thoughts get stopped-out by the befuddlements before getting to the main plate!  LOL  :-)  )

Let's change this "Good luck and happy forex strategy building!" to "Have Happy forex strategy building and applying!", OK?  Honestly!

jerry

Hi Jerry,
I really appreciate your critique.
As a natural English speaker you are welcome to correct the program's translation.

BatchBoy wrote:

"Although "Slots" only show long position logic, it also applies to shorts."

That one is good. But with the next I don't fully agree.

BatchBoy wrote:

However, Since slots don't discriminate as to a rule applying to short or long only anyway, this whole paragraph is useless

You cannot directly set short logic in the "Slots". You always set long logic.  This is a key point. I try to emphasize it as many users try to also set short rules in the Slots.

Now back to the strategy.

This is a classical trend following system. The entry point can be Donchian Channel, Fractal, Ross Hook...   
These indicators show an extreme point of the market (Top or Bottom). 

Let's discuss the long entry first: We are waiting for the market to make a Peak. That means the price has risen to the peak and has dropped after it. The downward move is essential here. We don't have a peak without a following drop of the price. (It sounds silly, but MT plots a fractal even if the current bar makes new high. That kills many traders. sad )
So, one of the above mentioned indicators indicates (what else can an indicator do smile )  this top. We place a Stop Entry Order at that level. If the price reaches it we enter long.

We use the same logic for opening short position but in the opposite direction.

For this strategy the exit rules are not too important. The key point is the physiologic behind the entry. 

What happens? The bulls have pushed the price to the top. With their final efforts of course (that is why we have a peak.) After a down correction the bulls start dominating again and raise the price to the same top level.

Ok. There are two possibilities now:
-    To enter short (assuming that the previous top is a strong resistance level) (a contra trend logic); or
-    To enter long (trend following logic).
The tests I’ve done for several years using Forex Strategy Builder of course smile show that the major couples tend to break the resistance. (1 day chart)   
My conclusion is that the market (respectively traders) is inert. The “Bigger” couple – the bigger inertia.
So far so good.  We can improve the logic by adding some additional filters measuring that inertia.
I personally like AC, Momentum, MAs. I’m confirming my entries measuring the speed of the market.   
These ideas are well described by Bill Williams.

Many traders delay the entry waiting for 1,2 – 5 pips breakout before opening a position. It is up to you.

The other question: the data time zone. This is important. Not only the time zone, but the broker also. You have to test the strategy thoroughly with forex data from your broker. The results may differ if your broker is too "Slow" or too "Fast". For this strategy a "Slow" broker is better IMHO.

About the application I personally prefer the old fashioned way of controlling the orders manually. If you like an automatic execution the obvious solution is a ME EA. The additional advantage of making an EA is that you can confirm the backtest.

That's it for now.
Miroslav Popov