Topic: Auto Control of "Use previous value" and generator

Please correct me if I am wrong. I assume that all backtests are realistic Only when use last bar value is used.

But when I use the generator and I have Auto Control of "Use previous value" enabled, the generator still selects indicators that are Not using the precious bar value.
Are these producing false backtests?

Please advise

Kindest Regards
George

Re: Auto Control of "Use previous value" and generator

The backtests are accurate as per the method being used.

What you may consider is the forward testing as that is where the results of the backtest and optimization are put to the test.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Gtm_ wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I assume that all backtests are realistic Only when use last bar value is used.

But when I use the generator and I have Auto Control of "Use previous value" enabled, the generator still selects indicators that are Not using the precious bar value.
Are these producing false backtests?

George, the short answer is no. Previous bar value usage depends on base price and what kind of logical condition is being filled, for example Open price is known every step of the way, therefore no need for previous value.

Blaiserboy,

When you say forward test , do you mean out of sample backtest data  or do you mean running the strategy on a demo mt4 account?

Footon,

I am trying to take a conservative approach.

So I am using in all my strats :

Opening point of position= Bar opening

Opening logic= enter no more then once per bar

Closing point of the position = bar closing

Will this work fine?
Are there any other setting I should use?(I have zero ambiguoius bars)

Thanks
George

Gtm_ wrote:

Footon,

I am trying to take a conservative approach.

So I am using in all my strats :

Opening point of position= Bar opening

Opening logic= enter no more then once per bar

Closing point of the position = bar closing

Will this work fine?
Are there any other setting I should use?(I have zero ambiguoius bars)

Thanks
George

It depends what you mean by conservative. Limiting opening and closing points doesn't necessarily give what you want. If your opening point is Bar Opening, then conditional logic "enter no more then once per bar" has no effect! It is so because bar opening happens only once per bar. I suggest that you turn your attention to strategy options/limitations such as drawdown, win/loss ratio, Sharpe ratio. By manipulating those you have a much better chance of establishing a good base for strategy development.