Topic: has anyone worked on tick data

Hi All,

I plan to build some stratergy based on tick data. Based on the current settings, we can only go down to a minute level.

Has anyone done this based on tick data?

Thanks,

Re: has anyone worked on tick data

Hi,

i do not think you can do it - build on tick timeframe.
However you can build on 1m timeframe and use function scan/ticks to get the backtest on tick data

If you save tick as M1, it should be possible, but you have to edit the data first for FSB to make it readable (first line should clearly read out OHLC for FSB). Please keep us updated about your progress, I and I'm sure a few others are interested in this, just that I haven't found time yet to make it happen wink

footon wrote:

If you save tick as M1, it should be possible, but you have to edit the data first for FSB to make it readable (first line should clearly read out OHLC for FSB). Please keep us updated about your progress, I and I'm sure a few others are interested in this, just that I haven't found time yet to make it happen wink

That should actually work smile On the other hand are there any tradeable patterns with tick  'resolution'?

On the other hand are there any tradeable patterns with tick  'resolution'?

Classical indicators cannot work on tick time frame. They need a specific "period". The problem is that ticks come in random time. So if we want to calculate an average value we cannot simply use 500 ticks. We have to say something like average for 10 minutes. Therefore we come again to periodic data.

Of course, if we calculate a MA on tick data for the last 10 minutes, it will not be same as a MA10 on 1 minute chart. MA and all indicators on a "periodic" chart has discrete values (jumping from bar to bar). On the other hand, 10 min MA on tick data will go smoothly from tick to tick.