1 (edited by majorusa 2010-02-24 09:33:59)

Topic: Trailing stop not working

Hi! I am using as the exit point a trailing stop. Unfortunately, though at the entry point of the order a trailing stop message is sent, MT4 does not apply the trailing stop. Therefore when TS is hit, the SL is not moving. My work around was to apply TS by hand. But when the system opens three or four different positions it becomes complicated. 

Beside this the FST is working flawlessly.

Re: Trailing stop not working

Do you have in mind that the program resets the Trailing Stop at every adding (opening new position in MT4)?

Example:
Trailing Stop 30 pips.

Open long at 1.4400  (Initial stop set to 1.4370)
Adding at 1.4420 (MT opens new position and set both SL to 1.4390)
Price reaches 1.4450 ( Initial Stop moved to last entry price - 1.4420)
Price rises (stop rises with every new high)
(The spread is not included in this example)

Yes. It did not open any new position, the price moved past the TS and the MT4 did not change the SL to BE.

Did you restart the expert or change the time frame of chart? If you do so, the expert loses the Trailing Stop setting.

Yes I did. Then this might be the answer. I had to change the router and I moved the trading on a laptop while working on the main PC. Next time I will leave the trade from beginning to the end and I will give you the feed-back.

This brings a question though. When the order is given, the MT4 does not receive the TS instruction too? In this case the SL on the MT4 is highlighted in yellow. Or the EA is waiting that the TS is hit and manages itself the TS? Thank you.

I found that the trailing stop does not work if you have already set a stop loss.

jorgon wrote:

I found that the trailing stop does not work if you have already set a stop loss.

The Trailing stop works. But if your Stop Loss is closer than the Trailing  Stop, FSB / FST sets the initial level to the SL. If the the market goes in your favor, the stop will start trailing.