Topic: Max # open lots and lot sizes

Hi,
I have a couple of Q's.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
In the strategy properties, if I check "trade a constant number of lots" and set the max # to say 10.
How FSB deal witht my real account lot sizes?. Ex. if I have a standard account 1 lot is $100,000 so 10 max means 10 lots of $100,000 e/a. Right? What if I have a mini account? Is Max # of lots also reduced to deal with mini lots? or Do I have to manually calculate my max. # of open lots based on my account type?.
Second, If I check "trade a percentage of your account....." , Is the max. num of open lots taken used? or FSB calculate max # open lots based only on the % of my account? If so, the max. # open lots is based in my account type (standard, mini, micro)?
This is what I have in my strategy :
Opening of a new position - 0.1% of the account equity.
Adding to a position - 0.1% of the account equity. Do not open more than 10 lots.
What size are those 10 lots?
Thank you,

Re: Max # open lots and lot sizes

Max lots of 10 in standard account means 10*100,000. The latter is account dependant as far as I understand. The same goes for percentage.

Thanks footon,
What I still don't understand is: What is the size of each lot? 0.1 in a standard account is  $100, in a mini account is $10. Lets say I have  a  $500,000(I wish)trading account with enough margin, and then I select 0.1% "number of entry lots for a new position". That means $500.00 of exposure, So, how many lots FSB opens for me?

It depends on the account. If it's 500k, then a logical assumption would be standard, so lots opened will be worth of 500 = 0.5 lots.

5 (edited by i4xtoo 2011-04-29 17:49:26)

Thank you, but why not 5x$100 ( 5 mini lots) There are brokers that allow you to order fraction of a lot. That means FSB will order 0.5 standard lot? How do I set it to buy 5 mini lots instead? Sorry but it is very important to me to understand how FSB deals with lot size ,etc. IMHO that is the most important variable in a trading system (risk).

I definitely agree with you there, that trade and risk management is the most important, get that wrong, and you're finished.

Returning to the subject - I don't have experience with fractional lot trading, do you have an account which offers mentioned option? I imagine there are 2 possibilities - you set the type of lot size (mini or full) in the traders cabinet or it's set up directly in the platform. Thinking about it, what's the difference whether you trade 5 mini or 0.5 standard lots if they both equal to $500 (therefore the point value is the same, too)?

Well, In MT you can find out your broker lot sizes availability using MarketInfo and then set the flag to MODE_MAXLOT,  MODE_LOTSIZE, MODE_LOTSTEP, etc. MODE_LOTSTEP tells you the increase in lot size. My broker has LOTSTEP in the 0.01 and up. So you can set your lot from micro to full lot. You can even set your OrderSend based on market volatibily, etc.
The reason for this is very simple, if you limit your risk at 2% of your trade account and you have several strategies running at the same time you can spread the risk all over. It is not the same having $500 risk divided into one half lot than into 5 or even 10 micro lots spread over 5 strategies. It could be nice if FSB let you adjust all this variables.

i4xtoo wrote:

Well, In MT you can find out your broker lot sizes availability using MarketInfo and then set the flag to MODE_MAXLOT,  MODE_LOTSIZE, MODE_LOTSTEP, etc. MODE_LOTSTEP tells you the increase in lot size. My broker has LOTSTEP in the 0.01 and up. So you can set your lot from micro to full lot. You can even set your OrderSend based on market volatibily, etc.

You can set the Lot Size (MODE_LOTSIZE) in Market - Edit Instrument tool.
MODE_MAXLOT is the "Maximum number of open lots" in the Strategy Properties.
MODE_LOTSTEP = 0.01 in FSB.

"Maximum number of open lots" is the max open lots for one single entry or max lots accumulated by adding. This is also valid when you use % of the account entry.

Hi Popov,
So, if my account is $500,000 and I set  "trade a percent of your account" to 2% ($10,000)  and I set "max # open lots" to 1(asuming standard lot set in "Edit Instrument Tool"). Does FSB will opens just 1 standard lot($1,000.00) as opposed to 10? What about the other way arround in case the % of my account is smaller than # open lots, will FSB will chose the smaller of the two lot size values?
Thank you Popov for your explanation.