Topic: Need Help with A Strategy Building

Hello,
I have downloaded the software..Need your expert help in building my first strategy..

the brief of the strategy is:

1) Open Long and Short positions simultaneously at a specified time of the day every day ( mon-fri).  Eg: 11am everyday, open 1 lot Long and 1 lot Short position simultaneously.
2) I should be able to try different lot sizes on each direction.
3) I should be able to put trailing stop on both the open positions. The trailing stop should be activated ( one option is immediately) if Profit is >= ( certain pip value) , trailing stop (at certain pip value) , with Step of Change ( certain pip value).
4) Put Stop Loss and Take Profit value separately for each of these two ( long and short) entries.

I believe the strategy is simple, but I am not able to define the entry rules.
Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tarak

Re: Need Help with A Strategy Building

There's a problem, FSB can't open two opposite orders simultaneously, so if you want to conduct all-in test, that's unfortunately not possible.

If you are certain that your strat holds water, so to speak, or you prefer live testing, it can be done live with two FST's. But those two orders will be independent, and trailing will activate immediately. Do you want to go ahead with live testing in FST?

Hello Footon,
thanks for your response.

Well if opening simultaneous Long and Short is a technical limitation,lets go ahead with one Position.

Lets have the modified strategy as:
1) Open Long ( or Short ) at a specified time every day.
2) I should be able to try different lot sizes.
3) I should be able to put trailing stop on the open positions. The trailing stop should be activated  if Profit is >= ( certain pip value) , trailing stop (at certain pip value) , with Step of Change ( certain pip value).
4) Put Stop Loss and Take Profit value separately for entries.

To be honest even I want to see if these strat hold any water...
Please help me to build this. As you said I can tun two FST independent, as there is no dependency of both of these mutually exclusive and opposite positions.. Would you be able to help me how to run two instances of FST in parallel.

Many thanks in advance.

Tarak

You can actually test this strat in FSB in two steps, to get total results you'll have to combine the two. But it'll be a bit messy and therefore prone to mistakes.

The modified strat:
A same direction signal - Does nothing
An opposite direction signal - Does nothing
Permanent Stop Loss - 50
Permanent Take Profit - 70

[Opening Point of the Position]
Bar Opening
     Enter the market at the beginning of the bar
     Base price  -  Open

[Opening Logic Condition]
Entry Time
     [All]   Enter the market between the specified hours
     From hour (incl.)  -  0
     From min (incl.)  -  0
     Until hour (excl.)  -  9
     Until min( excl.)  -  0

Moving Average
     [ A ]   The Moving Average rises
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

[Closing Point of the Position]
Trailing Stop
     Exit at the Trailing Stop level
     Trailing mode  -  Trails once a bar
     Trailing Stop  -  200

1) Open Long ( or Short ) at a specified time every day.

As you can see, the indi for it is Entry Time, just specify the time.

2) I should be able to try different lot sizes.

Open Strategy Properties window for trading size settings.

I should be able to put trailing stop on the open positions. The trailing stop should be activated  if Profit is >= ( certain pip value) , trailing stop (at certain pip value) , with Step of Change ( certain pip value).

Closing point is Trailing Stop, its value is settable.

4) Put Stop Loss and Take Profit value separately for entries.

Again, this is defined/definable in Strategy Properties.

The opening condition is a SMA, so when it rises, it opens long and vice versa.

Running two FSTs: firstly look at this thread here: http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/1388/how … -with-fst/

Don't forget to assign different magic numbers in the FST EAs, strats should be opposites, i.e in the first one SMA rises, in the second it falls, so two positions are opened which are opposite to each other.

Hello Footon,

Thank you very much for the speedy response.

Need some more help from you. Well something either I explained wrong or I entered wrong while making the strategy in the FSB. Well let me try to explain the strategy again,

I want every day at 11.09 am to open one ( only once a day) Long position ( constant, every day), and trailing stop should be activated  if Profit is >= ( certain pip value) , trailing stop (at certain pip value) , with Step of Change ( certain pip value).

The trailing stop should start if there is a profit is greater than say 15 pips.Once the profit is 15 pips, the trailing stop should start at 10 pip profit. which means I am locking in 10 pip profit. Then for every 5 pip of additional profit over 15 pips, the trailing stop should move 5 pips.

If the trailing stop do not initiate, which means after the entry of the position at 11am there was never a profit of more than 15 pips, the stop loss at 100 pips.

The strategy I explained is not different from what I am trying to do from the start. Though now that you had separated long and short entry into two instances.

I built up based on your recommendation, and found it was opening Long and Short on multiple days. Also I assume there is some parameter to specify just to open at a certain time of the day irrespective of the movement of the moving average.

Thanks in advance.
Tarak

This explanation helped a lot! There has to be a directional signal, otherwise no position will be opened, luckily I found a workaround, and the strat is opening positions like you stated.

As I mentioned before, trailing is activated immediately (in FSB it trails once a bar actually), so if you want it to count in the profit, it will be doable only in FST's EA by modifing it accordingly.

The strat itself:
A same direction signal - Does nothing
An opposite direction signal - Does nothing
Permanent Stop Loss - 100
Permanent Take Profit - None

[Opening Point of the Position]
Bar Opening
     Enter the market at the beginning of the bar
     Base price  -  Open

Entry Time
     [All]   Enter the market between the specified hours
     From hour (incl.)  -  11
     From min (incl.)  -  9
     Until hour (excl.)  -  11
     Until min( excl.)  -  10

Moving Average
     [ A ]   The Moving Average rises
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0

Moving Average
     [ B ]   The Moving Average falls
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0

Long or Short
     [All]   Open long positions only

[Closing Point of the Position]
Trailing Stop
     Exit at the Trailing Stop level
     Trailing mode  -  Trails once a bar
     Trailing Stop  -  15

Firstly use M1 timeframe.
Secondly pay attention to logical groups (ALL, A, B), that is the workaround for opening only long positions each day!

Open Long and Short positions simultaneously at a specified time of the day every day ( mon-fri).  Eg: 11am everyday, open 1 lot Long and 1 lot Short position simultaneously.
3) I should be able to put trailing stop on both the open positions. The trailing stop should be activated ( one option is immediately) if Profit is >= ( certain pip value) , trailing stop (at certain pip value) , with Step of Change ( certain pip value).
4) Put Stop Loss and Take Profit value separately for each of these two
I am diffident about my answer but as far as my knowledge is concern the Army man Footon is right,"FSB can't open two opposite orders simultaneously, so if you want to conduct all-in test, that's unfortunately not possible".

I don't know any hedging strategy that will be profitable. Are you sure that you can make profit by manually trading this strategy ?

RobertAyala wrote:

Open Long and Short positions simultaneously at a specified time of the day every day ( mon-fri).  Eg: 11am everyday, open 1 lot Long and 1 lot Short position simultaneously.
4) Put Stop Loss and Take Profit value separately for each of these two
I am diffident about my answer but as far as my knowledge is concern the Army man Footon is right,"FSB can't open two opposite orders simultaneously, so if you want to conduct all-in test, that's unfortunately not possible".