Topic: Can Someone Build Me a Simple Strategy?

Hello Everyone,

I have downloaded the strategy builder platform but I really have no clue where to start with it.
I was hoping someone here could build me a very simple open & close strategy. I know what I want I just don't know how to manipulate the platform to create what I want.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks-
NYCOLT

Re: Can Someone Build Me a Simple Strategy?

You can go on the "Strategies" page (use the top right link on the link bar). The demo strategies provided there are arranged as a tutorial. Pass trough them and if you have questions, we'll be happy to answer.

Ok I think I kind of have something together that I would like to test in meta trader 4 put meta 4 requires a different format other than xml. does anyone have a suggestion as to how to convert from xml to  a meta 4 friendly format?

Thanks

Dan

Do you want to demo trade/forward-test your strat? If so, use FST.

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Yes I want to demo trade to see if it works the way I think it will befor I go live.
I dont understand what you mean by use fst?

Could you explain that please?

No problem, it is Forex Strategy Trader (aka FST), specifically designed to trade strats you compile in FSB (Strategy Builder).

Visit the start page firstly, read everything there is to get you started: http://forexsb.com/wiki/fst/start

Then download:Download page

Hello Again Everyone-

I am not quite getting the strategy builder thing.
If anyone feels generous with their time and can help me
build the strategy i would like to use I would certainly appreciate
the help.

Thanks

NYColt

Post your rules, lets find out if we can sort things out.

9 (edited by nycolt 2011-03-20 18:04:08)

Thank you Footon-

Here are the parameters I would like.

This is a simple strategy I would like to try, to try and  take  quick advantage of the pip surges that occur in both directions when I am not at my computer. I realize this will typically result in several buys and sells most days but that is ok.

Volume 100
*buy long anytime there is a pip increase of 15 in a 60 second timeframe.
*Ideally I would like to put in a trailing dynamic stop after a 33 pip increase from the buy in price.  This is an effort to take profit and go along for the ride on any long rise. If that is not doable than I would like a
*stop and take profit after a 33 pip increase which would typically realize about a $300 profit.
*close after a  decrease of 3 below the buy in pips (price). Which would result in a $30 loss.

*buy short anytime there is a pip decrease of 15 in a 60 second timeframe.
*Ideally I would like to put in a trailing dynamic stop after a 33 pip decrease from the buy in price. If that is not doable than I would like a
*stop and take profit after a 33 pip decrease which would realize a $300 profit.
*close after a  increase of 3 above the buy in pips (price). Which would result in a $30 loss.

Another note: I would want only one occurrence running at a time. e.g. If a pip surge happens while one strategy is already running ignore the surge/buy.

I hope this is clear, I am new to this so my understanding of the  terminology and many of the rules are not that good. If you need clarification or if  there is other information  needed  on any of this please let me know.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

NYColt

Here it is:

A same direction signal - Does nothing
An opposite direction signal - Does nothing
Permanent Stop Loss - None
Permanent Take Profit - None

[Opening Point of the Position]
Price Move
     Enter long after an upward move
     Base price  -  Open
     Price move  -  15
     Use previous bar value  -  No

[Closing Point of the Position]
Trailing Stop
     Exit at the Trailing Stop level
     Trailing mode  -  Trails once a bar
     Trailing Stop  -  33

When trading live, use tick mode for trailing in FST, if you want a permanent stop of 5 pips (5 is the absolute minimum), adjust the strategy properties accordingly.

Hard TP/SL for closing point is:

[Closing Point of the Position]
Stop Limit
     Exit at the Stop Loss or the Take Profit level
     Stop Loss  -  5
     Take Profit  -  33

And timeframe M1 of course.

Thank you so much footon-

A couple of questions.
Iis the buy at 60 sec increase in place?

And obviously I copy and save  in txt format. How can I convert it to be read by FST?

Thanks

Position will be opened if price moves 15 pips in a bar, and the latter depends on the used timeframe.

Convert what? Your question reveals to me that you haven't even looked at FSB or FST, these programs have graphical user interface, so setting up a strat is NOT copying, pasting, converting or programming. You know, there is a saying that God loves a trier...

Thanks-
I have been attempting to learn FSB. I have loaded FST and it is working well with METAR
4 Trader with a strategy I built using FSB but it was not exactly what I was looking for.

When I opened the strategy I made I opened it in FST and it was in .xml format. What I am asking you now is what do I have to now to get what you have done for me into a format that I can use in FST?

Thanks
NYColt

footon wrote:

Position will be opened if price moves 15 pips in a bar, and the latter depends on the used timeframe.

Convert what? Your question reveals to me that you haven't even looked at FSB or FST, these programs have graphical user interface, so setting up a strat is NOT copying, pasting, converting or programming. You know, there is a saying that God loves a trier...

Ahhh now I see what we have here! These are the directions to put to foloow to build it in FSB! Gottcha. Thanks, I will do that now. Ha sorry.
I get it now.

Ok. Now what you have given me here is for the  buy long of my parameters. Am I correct to assume that If I want to add the buy short part of my parameters I do the same thing?

nycolt wrote:

Ok. Now what you have given me here is for the  buy long of my parameters. Am I correct to assume that If I want to add the buy short part of my parameters I do the same thing?

No, only long setup is needed, FSB/FST reverses the long setup automatically for short positions.

Ok thanks. Do  I have to run generator after adding these params or can I just save it and use it? and do you suggest I run optimizer?

I locked my positions and  accepted the default settings on generate. Thats it right?

Are you running it on FST (trading) or FSB (backtesting/improving)?

If I were you, I would first backtest the initial strat in FSB to see if it works or not, if results turn out to be good enough, I'd demo trade at least a week or two in FST before going live.

If backtest results are bad, I'd assess the strat carefully. So mainly there are 2 possibilities - scrapping or improving the strat. If you choose improvement, let your creativity flow. When optimizing, be careful not to curve-fit your strat.

where do I set tick mode in FST?

Trailing stop indi