Topic: Help with Simple EA

Good evening all - I am interested in a simple EMA cross system.  With FSB I have designed one (nothing fancy-took about 5 minutes).  However, when I test it with back data it only trades a few times and seems to miss many crosses.  The results do not seem to match a basic manual backtest.  Any idea why?  I think/know the idea is profitable and seems to be with the manual - eyeballing - the data, but is a loser when FSB generates the report.

Any ideas or suggestions? - or does anyone have a simple EMA cross that I could make changes to and compare?

Thanks,

Akaky

Re: Help with Simple EA

Yeah - Good idea.  I attached it.  I have an EMA cross - pretty simple logic.  go long when the 13 ema crosses the 21 upward and closes out when the 13ema crosses below which also creates a short position.

I have included a SL and profit target.

My main concern is not that it is losing money but rather it seems to not take trades.  Maybe I am reading this wrong.  But when I analyze the charts the ema crosses but a buy/sell is not created?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Akaky

Post's attachments

EMA Cross.xml 5.82 kb, 6 downloads since 2010-10-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hello Akaky,

I made some changes in your strategy:

- Put Close and Reverse in the Closing Point of the Position slot. It tells the strategy to use an opposite entry signal for reversing the position. In that case you don't need setting another indicator for closing logic. Close and Revers was specially designed for revers strategy.

- Change Stop Loss and Take Profit to 300 and 700 pips since I use Alpari for testing and they quote 5 digits for EURUSD. If your broker uses 4 digits, you have to return SL and TP to 30 and 70 pips.

The strategy will rise a signal when Fast MA (EMA13) crosses the Slow one (EMA21) and the difference between both is greater than Point / 2. In my case that is 0.000005. When the market is slow, you may see a crossover but both MA to be very close each other. In that case, a signal will be send when the difference become more significant. This rule serves to filter many false signals, especially when the market is slow. If you want to see the values of the chart's indicators with greater precision, press F12.

http://s1.postimage.org/N643r.jpg

Post's attachments

EMA Cross-1.xml 3.01 kb, 16 downloads since 2010-10-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks -

I appreciate the work.  I also didn't realize you could filter out some of the whipsaws - that always helps.

Akaky

OK - now that I have had time to look at it - I have a question.  In order for the strategy to work I need it to place the trade at the opening of the next bar.  In other words:  the emas cross and then it trades with the opening of the next bar - otherwise a lot of false signals are given.  I see that the trade opens on "Bar closing - enters market at the closing of the bar"  but what about the reverse or the closing of the position.  It says "Close and reverse" but I need it to close and reverse at the opening of the next bar.  I hope I am being clear.

The strategy works exactly on the way you described.
The entry (reverse) is at the next bar opening. The parameter "Use previous bar value" of MA is switched on automatically. You cannot make false strategy with FSB / FST. The programs protect you.

http://s3.postimage.org/bz0f0.jpg