Topic: Which time frames are better for strategy building?

hi. I am new to this software and I want to know what is the right time frame to build a strategy? Some people say that we should use the small time frames of M5, M15 and finally M30. Their argument is that long timeframes signal late. Others say the opposite is true for H1 and H4 timeframes. The argument is that higher timeframes are more reliable and also filter news.
I personally prefer small time frames. I like to create strategies for the M5 and M15 timeframes with daily exit and weekly exit rules, and optimize them weekly for the data of the past year. By the way, I think in this case I should turn off the experts when important news.
Is this my way of thinking? what is your opinion?
thank you very much.

Re: Which time frames are better for strategy building?

mili1370 wrote:

hi. I am new to this software and I want to know what is the right time frame to build a strategy? Some people say that we should use the small time frames of M5, M15 and finally M30. Their argument is that long timeframes signal late. Others say the opposite is true for H1 and H4 timeframes. The argument is that higher timeframes are more reliable and also filter news.
I personally prefer small time frames. I like to create strategies for the M5 and M15 timeframes with daily exit and weekly exit rules, and optimize them weekly for the data of the past year. By the way, I think in this case I should turn off the experts when important news.
Is this my way of thinking? what is your opinion?
thank you very much.

Hi mili1370,

There is no "right" time frame in my opinion, it is whatever works for the trader and more important, whatever makes money. I like to stick to M15 because it's less affected by news events, fast moving markets and still gives me a high trade count for statistical significance. I like to run my strategies in the live environment to ensure they are profitable on real data after generating them, anything above for H1 takes too long to generate enough trades for me to be comfortable trading it.

I leave all my strategies running 24/7 365. The reason being my generation process included news events and trading 365 days a year (over Christmas) so I should mimic those conditions in the live environment to ensure consistency, but each to their own. I'm also lazy, and the reason I got into algorithmic trading was so I don't have to manage my trading on that level, and instead use processes and automation tools to handle things for me.

There are plenty of traders here who use M1 and other time frames.