Topic: MT4 Connection

Hello - I am having trouble connection Strategy Builder to my MT4 Platform.  Everything seems to have installed correctly and MT4-FST shows up in my list of Expert Advisors.  However, everytime I start Strategy Trader, I get the error message "Not Connected.  You have to connect to a Meta Trader Terminal".  I get this message even though my MT4 terminal is running when I start Strategy Trader.  Any advice on how to fix this?

Re: MT4 Connection

Do you see any warning or error messages on the chart where you've started the expert?
When you start "MT4-FST Expert", it makes diagnostics first and prints errors or suggestions at the upper left corner of the MT chart (just below the chart title). The expert also plots status messages in the 'Expert" tab of the Terminal records of MT.

Post's attachments

forex-strategy-trader_connected.png
forex-strategy-trader_connected.png 187.12 kb, 1 downloads since 2010-09-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

When you start the expert you have to be sure the following options are on:

If you want these parameters to be remembered by Meta Trader, you have to set them in "Tools" - "Options" or to use "Ctrl + O" fast key:

Post's attachments

expert_properties.png
expert_properties.png 71.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

meta_trader_options.png
meta_trader_options.png 58.74 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

A quick note on installing FST. If you are currently running FST and a MT4 terminal the installer will ask you to close your FST instance but not your MT4 window. So I didn't close my MT4 platform during installation and at the end I got two error messages when installing the .dll file. The problem was that the installer updates not only the files in the Forex Strategy Trader directory but also the experts and .dll files in all MT installations and since the MT4 terminal was running the files in its folder were not updated. The solution to the problem turned out to be easy - start FST; close MT4; from the menu tools in FST click on Install Meta Trader Files and the expert and .dll files will be undated again.

In summery, always close FST and MT4 before updating or you will have to update MT files manually from the tools menu.