Topic: demo volume is different than live volume

Hi fellow traders, I've been testing EA that I have generated in FSB and EA Studios for a few weeks now. In my demo account I will wait until I get a good number of trades say above 10 and with a positive net profit for the EA. Then I transfer it to a live account and it doesn't perform well. I would assume some of it is timing but that really doesn't explain it all for me. Say the EA performs very well like 9 wins to 1 loss with a profit ratio of 8 or 9 and it totally tanks in the live account, maybe loosing all the time. Am I not waiting long enough? Once it starts to constantly loose I shut it down. I'm a US trader I use Oanda and I'm stuck with FIFO so I know it's gonna be challenging but I should be able to get marginal results even with FIFO. I've made some side by side comparisons and the volume seems to deviate at the least a couple hundred ticks on each bar from demo to live. The OHLC data is slightly different but very slight. Could it be the volume difference? Which indicators in FSB and also in EA Studio do I need to disable to take volume out of the equation when generating EAs? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
joey11602

Re: demo volume is different than live volume

Hi Joey,

1. How long is your testing?

I don't know how long you waited to get 10 trades (what time frame you are using)?

But normally at least 3mths of demo results to start with...but even then nothing is certain because it really depends also the past 3mths market is a good representative of an overall good robust data to know how robust your EA going to be.

During tough market situation, I'm happy because, it mean that the market naturally helps me eliminate those bad EA during demo testing.  In fact if the market is too good, I wouldn't feel confident with my EA's results.

2. I use Demo account to send out live signals

Even after I have tested out my EA in demo account, I still use demo account to send out signals because I'm not sure how the live account may cause different "calculation".  In order to replicate my success, I have to make sure I have the same "environment". 

3. I'll try to open 2 accounts if I'm restricted by FIFO regulation

1 account for Long Only (use the EA input option when you install in MT4) and another account for Short only.

I can't imagine being stuck with only 1 direction each time I open trades and hence, I find that have both Long and Short positions help to "balance and diversify" the overall portfolio.  So essentially, I'm treating the 2 accounts as 1 portfolio.

All the best to your EA development journey...success don't come fast and easy.  Only fools think you can make easy money with Forex.  Forex needs commitment and hard work to succeed, EA Studio/FSB are only tools to make the journey less painful.

Hi hannahis, my testing has been for about two weeks before I moved the ones with over ten trades to a live account. I have been trading 15 min charts.

How do you send out live signals?

joey11602 wrote:

Hi hannahis, my testing has been for about two weeks before I moved the ones with over ten trades to a live account. I have been trading 15 min charts.

How do you send out live signals?

Honestly, testing for only 2wks isn't sufficient.  Nevertheless, each person has their own preference.

I use Fxblue Trade Copier (free service) to copy trade/live signal.  https://www.fxblue.com/appstore/c6/trad … popularity

Thanks hannahis, for the info on the trade copier. I think that will solve my problem. I totally agree. You are right, two weeks of testing isn't sufficient.  I was eager to try it out and I was using single micro lots as well to minimize the damage. It didn't take me long to figure out I jumped in way too soon. I think your idea of trading with two accounts is a very good idea also. I'm still a newbie in many ways and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I have looked into some offshore brokers but I never could bring myself to pull the trigger and put my hard earned cash into a live account with them. I loved trading with a portfolio with just one chart and one EA. I had pretty good results with it in a demo at LQD but there is no regulation and no recourse if they take my money. There are so many negative reviews out there about pretty much all of them. I also tried the one that Petko suggests in his courses but the liquidity was so low at differning times, they would shut down trading on certain pairs at any given moment and I guess you would just be stuck in a trade until they opened it. Being in the US is very limiting with the FIFO regs but where there is a will, there is a way. I'm gonna figure this out.         

Thanks again for your help!

6 (edited by hannahis 2020-10-02 10:40:49)

Hi Joey,

I totally agree with you, earning money from forex is already tough, but trying to make money from crook broker is even tougher.  These scam brokers give people an illustration that they can make money and when people actually make money, it's like squeezing water out of rocks to claim back your money.  So essentially, any money put with these scam brokers are consider loss.

Trump removed lots of oppressive regulations (put up by previous administrations).  Is there a way US traders can come together and send a petition to Trump to remove the FIFO?  I believed it was set up by the deep state to prevent people from making money....drain the swamp! WWG1WGA, vote for Trump 2020!

There are number of people you can learn from in this forum, these people are professionals and I'm not, forex is just my hobby, I happened to have slightly more experience because I experienced more trials and errors.  But those professional users/traders are much more knowledgeable and it's a pleasure to read their posts, especially Rich B and Burrup smile

Cheers,
Hannah