forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Improvement Idea : Increase collection size please

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Improvement Idea : Increase collection size please

Hi Popov,

Could you please kindly give some feedback on the idea to increase the collection size from 100 to perhaps a user defined amount?

I know there are some users who find 100 to be a nice number and it works for them, but the approach I am taking to create some decent strategies needs a larger repository. This is because, I have around 35,000 general trend strategies and I load these into the validator and then test these on different currencies. Very quickly, in some cases, the collection gets filled to 100 (depending on my filter criteria, I can slow this down) and I need to quickly click save, open the naming window, click save again and delete the strats.

I am finding that by the time the collection gets to around 90, I need to start the saving process and I usually miss 10 or so strategies which - since I doing this repetition around 30 - 40 times - could be 500 strategies that I am missing. And since there is a lot of clicking around, this understandably causes a crash or something strange. In addition, I end up with multiple saved files.

What would be much better for me is to define a limit between 100, say, 5000 - and have the collection hold this number. For traders trying this "map to market" approach I think this is a practical way of dealing with the issue, while for traders who wish to leave the system overnight can come back to more than 100 strategies.

A more complicated alternative would be to create a process where the collection saves automatically at 100, resets and starts to fill again until the validator is completed.

What do you think ?

Thank you,
Matthew

Re: Improvement Idea : Increase collection size please

yes it will be great to have more in collection..also it is cause you can check the worst ea later that could be a good one..

We have such a hidden option in EA Studio for a long time. However, it is too dangerous for inexperienced users.
It is something like to "improve" your car by expanding its fuel tank or the trunk capacity 50 times.

The increasing of the Collection size makes the program exponentially slower. For example, EA Studio loads a Collection of 100 strategies for 0.557 seconds, and one of 450 strategies for 45 seconds.

Now, I made the option available for setting from the Browser's Console.

If you want, you may test it at your own risk:
- load EA Studio directly here: https://expert-advisor-studio.com
- press F12 and open the Browser's Console.
- enter the desired Collection size like that: eas.collectionSettings.maxCount = 500;

https://image-holder.forexsb.com/store/ea-studio-collection-size-settings-thumb.png

Hi Popov,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that functionality and thank you as well for pointing out the processing impact. I will give this a go and see what happens, and of course - all at my own risk. If this has an impact which is not workable, then at least I can discount it and find a workaround for my situation and approach.

For info for anyone who comes across this in future, on a mac (google chrome) you enter the browser as follows. Similar instructions for Safari, if anyone still uses that smile

To open the developer console in Google Chrome, open the Chrome Menu in the upper-right-hand corner of the browser window and select More Tools > Developer Tools. You can also use the shortcut Option + ⌘ + J (on macOS), or Shift + CTRL + J (on Windows/Linux).

Cheers,
Matthew

5 (edited by Minch 2020-07-28 15:58:32)

Hi - can't quite get this to work sad

Please see the attached screenshot - I am using the correct address, entered in the browser console and tried with values 500 and 50 - but the collection still goes to 100.

I assume that the value has been accepted since it is returned on the next line once I press enter.

Is there a step I am missing here?

Thank you,
Matthew

PS - the value is definitely updated correctly because when I type eas.collectionSettings.maxCount on its own I get the value 500 returned ...

6 (edited by Minch 2020-07-28 15:50:35)

Attachment of screenshot ...

Post's attachments

Console.png 439.43 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

A "Collection capacity" option was introduced in Tools -> Settings and the above method is not available anymore.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Improvement Idea : Increase collection size please