forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Data Import Quality/Quantity is Poor/Limited

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Data Import Quality/Quantity is Poor/Limited

I've been generating EAs and testing them since i signed up (1 week ago).  I'm finding that my data is poor, so the results are creating EAs that are profitable, but when backtested in MT4, everyone of them is unprofitable.  the data is most critical for any of this to work effectively in a real account.  Need help...didn't find the resolution to this in the Forum yet.  FYI...I noticed that the number of bars i can pull down from my broker appears to be very limited.  i followed all the steps and the multiple methods posted, but the number of bars is very limited.  If there's other information i could provide to have someone help me with this, let me know.  Thank you.

Re: Data Import Quality/Quantity is Poor/Limited

Pardon me, but when did mt become the last instance of truth? Its backtesting is very much inferior to Studio and Pro. If you have doubts, make a short forward test on demo and compare demo results with after-the-fact backtest, you'll know much more and relevant info than hitting some buttons in Pro/Studio, then in mt and declaring it is all a waste.

Secondly, what program are you using? Pro or Studio?

Thirdly, have you asked your broker how much data can it provide? If the number is ridiculously low, maybe you should change the broker as it is no good? Low data amount can be considered a red flag, mind you. Your other option is to start accumulating the data by regularly logging in to mt and making sure the most recent data is loaded. This means there's no strat development, of course, until you have sufficient amount of data. Other option is to find another data source, which is similar to your broker. Or consider your broker's data as an out-of-sample data bit, cross-check your strats on it, but download your data from elsewhere. Or use your broker's datat as the last optimization chunk, but that really depends on your workflow and methodology. Remember, you can play out so many different scenarios on the programs alone without even going on a demo. And making double or triple backtests on the same piece of data but different platforms hasn't still produced profit for no one.

thanks for response.  using studio.  i'm backtesting on studio.  sending ea to mt, then testing to ensure same results as is recommended in the training videos/info.  using other data than what broker providing is possible, but not sure the result of strat created will perform the same.  broker is oanda. based in US, so seems options are limited on brokers...any suggestions?  i can get back data, but i believe they charge for each download of historical.  i'm contacting them to see if the data they will be providing is live trade data or some other non-live data that, again, is not going to be consistent with what needs to be used to strat creation & modeling.  all inputs welcome.  thx.

US? Hmm, tough luck. This is a small forum, you could try some bigger FX forums with larger US userbase to ask whether some oanda user can upload their bigger dataset, so you could have a head start.

Still, with blitzing fast backtest Studio offers, you can test things out in no time and find out what works or doesn't work. Like develop strats on "other" data and then perform the last check-up on oanda's etc.

I wouldn't get so hung-up on double backtesting. The most important question is - does the strategy act the same as in the backtest. Yes, you can check this by backtesting again on mt, but it doesn't really reveal the full picture and every other user has difficulties in lining up the results between the programs because there are important details, which need to be taken care of. Furthermore, mt backtest doesn't indicate whether there might be live trading problems/mismatches.

5 (edited by ViniQ 2020-06-02 20:10:58)

Happy$01 wrote:

I'm finding that my data is poor, so the results are creating EAs that are profitable, but when backtested in MT4, everyone of them is unprofitable.  the data is most critical for any of this to work effectively in a real account.

Hello Happy$01 you're welcome to the forums. Thinking about it Forex Software has launched a service called Historical forex data.

"We created this Historical Forex Data service to make it easier for the users of Forex Strategy Builder and Expert Advisor Studio to import good bar data. However, it is useful for all traders that need a reliable backtest in MetaTrader."

You can read more info about it at Historical Forex Data Service Page < https://forexsb.com/historical-forex-data > or
Forum Historical Forex Data < https://forexsb.com/forum/topic/8183/hi … a-service/ >

Happy$01 wrote:

FYI...I noticed that the number of bars i can pull down from my broker appears to be very limited.  i followed all the steps and the multiple methods posted, but the number of bars is very limited.

There is not too much you can do about the broker's data right? I know how it feels.

But follow these steps that I guarantee will help:

• Read about the data service and try it out importing data to both software;

• Create a new custom symbol in MT and copy the settings from the original symbol;

• Import the high quality data, that you download from ours Historical Forex Data service, to this new symbol;

• Backtest the strategy to check if results are similar to EA Studio;

Keep in mind that the brokers rotten data will affect only historical backtest, as trading signals are calculated based on historical price. If the broker has high quality data for the last few days, maybe it can be used for daytrading with algorithmic trading.

Vinicius Pereira, Portuguese Support.
Improve your trading with my strategies & signals on MQL5. High success rate & many followers. Check them out & join my EAS telegram group for updates.

6 (edited by EdK 2020-06-03 05:22:51)

(Happy$01 = EdK...user name was updated) ViniQ, I appreciate the information.  I have previously looked at the Historical Forex Data service, but I did not yet attempt to use the data until your suggestion.  I thought it was almost a "mandate" or "requirement" to use the data out of MT4 because that IS THE DATA we'll be placing trades against once the EA is attached to a chart.  I did the steps you recommended and I looked at a random sample of the data in the Historical Forex Data service and my broker and the data between the two look very very close.  I truly appreciate the input and help.  Thank you.

I thought it was almost a "mandate" or "requirement" to use the data out of MT4 because that IS THE DATA we'll be placing trades against once the EA is attached to a chart.

It is true, however we have a saying in Bulgaria: When there is no fish, the crab is a fish.

Haha, great saying!

I noticed we can set max data bars to 500000 in Data Horizon for Studio, but only 200000 when downloading historical forex data. Can that also be updated to 500000? It would give more years for M5 and M15.

Currently, the server collects up to 200000 bars of data. We will see how the service is going on and will decide if we can afford to add new symbols and to collect a longer history.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Data Import Quality/Quantity is Poor/Limited