forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Expert Advisor Studio → EA Advisor Studio optimum settings for generating possible strategy's

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: EA Advisor Studio optimum settings for generating possible strategy's

Hello everyone, here a message for all the experienced users. Especially
Blaiserboy, Popov , Footon, Hannahis ,etc,  are invited to post a reply smile

I'm generating strategies with the following settings. After that i select the top 5 which look to give consistent profit without an ongoing monthly drawdown.  Then after a few weeks i check which strategies are profitable and i put these on another demo account. Somehow sofar my results are far from perfect so i'm wondering what i can improve.
I'm trying the 1m , 15m, 30m, 1h, 4h timeframe so far.

my settings are: (unfortunately i cannot post then one image)

Reactor
1 historical data; i select date from a mt4 account where i uploaded the data generated via the script, symbol , timeframe
2 strategy properties:
   stop loss: allways use
   type: fixed or trailing
   min pips 10
   max pips 200
   take profit
   take profit: may use
   min pips 10
   max pips 2000
3 generator settings
   working minutes: 0 (so works xx hours till i stop it)
   search best: return/ drawdown
   out of sample: 30%
   generate strategies with preset indicators
     no entry rules
     long exit: close a long position at bar open
     short exit: close a short position at bar open
   use the common acceptance criteria = min net profit 10, min count of trades 100

v Full data optimization 
    in sample
    numeric values range +-20 steps
    search best net balance
v  optimize stop loss and take profit
v  optimize preset indicators

validation
v use the common acceptance criteria
     min net profit 10
     min count of trades 100

v Walk forward optimization
    segments 5
   out of sample 30% OOS
   numeric values range +- 20 steps
   search best: net balance
v optimize stop loss and take profit
v optimize preset indicators
validation:
validated segments: 5

v Normalization
  remove take profit
  remove needless indicators
  normalize values
  reduce stop loss
  reduce take profit
  normalize incicator parameters
Optimization options:
  numeric values steps: 20 steps
  search best: net balance
  not selected: normalize preset indicators

Perform Robustness testing:
v Monte Carlo validations
   count of tests: 20
    Monte carlo validation uses settings from Monte Carlo:
    market variations
    v randomize history data
    v randomize spread
    execution problems: none selected
   strategy variations:
    v randomize indicator parameters
    v randomize backtest starting bar
   validated tests: 80%

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!!

Re: EA Advisor Studio optimum settings for generating possible strategy's

hmmmm  you want answers but I am not too sure of the question.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

well above are my settings i use for generating strategies with the Reactor.
So i was wondering what i can improve to get a higher quality of strategies.
So far this week my indicated return for the total of the strategies i've generated of +5300 euro per/day
but i'm down 15445  euro so far (all demo naturally) in 4 days so i was wondering what i can improve

If i could improve my real result to 5% of the expectancy i would be very glad.

Thanks!

My approach is to accumulate 100 strategies in the collection and then use the variables on the collection screen to start weeding out the poor performers so as to bring the aggregate up to what I want.

I keep running the reactor until I get a portfolio the I like the looks of.

I have no idea what other people use, this is an approach that I have used for a long time and I notice that one of the online courses has a variation.

This automated trading takes a ton of research and experience, you may be rushing things.

You can read the thread by Hannahis to get an idea as to how much she has invested to get to where she is today. There are some good ideas in there.

when you are preparing your ea's to trade, keep in mind that the nice big banks use our accounts to make profits, they eat retail traders.

Once they see a bunch of stops at a certain level.. they will run the stops.

Once they decide to move the US Dollar. they do that.

The banks do not have to worry about the news, they are going to do whatever they want.

The MT4 brokers will do whatever they want with your trades. They will fill them at a bad price, they will trade against you, they will requote, and you have no way of knowing what they are doing until after the trade entry has been made.

There is on the internet, for sale, actual software to help MT4 brokers to take advantage of their customers. Unfortunately, our projections do not take these items into account.

I think I have explained why your expectations are not being met.

Hello Blaiserboy,

thank you for your answer!!

Yes i'm doing the same i'm adding 20 to 40 new ea's every week and remove all EA's at the end of the
week which had reached the MAX DD which was given with that strategy during the backtesting.
The best ones i will put in time on a live account.

But i was wondering if something in the settings i used in Expert Advisor Studio be4 i push on the start
button to generate new strategies can be improved.

Hope anyone has an idea for improvements in my settings.

Thank you!

Hi,

I think I am in the same boat as you and am looking to improve my strategies but the point I have learned is that there is no real receipe to follow to give you what you want since everyone trades differently. If someone has a great setting in their EA its because they usually worked it out themselves I wouldnt expect anyone to give that away for free.

Im no expect (see the number of dumb posts I put up since I got my license) but here is the gist of what I do :

Load in MT4 data. Date range 10 years. Set Acceptance criteria to 300 trades minimum; balance line stability minimum 50 and net profit minimum of zero. I get 100 strategies in the collection and delete any I dont like. then I optimise on different criteria - so I get 100 strats which are optimised for return drawdown, 100 for balance line stability etc  ...I now have around 400 stratgies which I like and I use monte carlo (standard settings) to reduce this list and I take the top 10 of whatever criteria I feel like and put this in a portfolio.

I am still experimenting but I dont bother trying compare the Max DD for example to delete stratgies - you will never get what it says in real life. You only have a bunch of strategies which are statistically more likely to win so you should monitor the trades in demo to build up a picture.

Also, Im not sure why you seem to be using all the steps - you should choose one step from optimise and one from robustness testing. for example, what is the reasoning to use optimisation to get a stop loss then to have this removed again in the normaliser?

One thing I am learning is that the best strategies are simple so that should be reflected in the process as well in my opinion.

Im trying to get get a workflow together and will post this up perhaps at some point but right now Im in three months of demo testing and will emerge again after that

Hello Minch,

Ok thanks for your response. Well yes seems things are indeed not so simple. Finding a way to generate EA's which
aren't over optimized. Anyway now i generate EA's and put the best from the list on a demo. then i remove the ones
who reached the statistical highest DD . In a few weeks i will select the top 5 or 10 EA's to put on another demo and if that goes well will put these on a small live account.
Anwyay like Blaiser said i'm reading the post from Hannahis which is a lot of text but i'm learning a lof from her.
https://forexsb.com/forum/topic/6824/hannahs-tradeportfolio-management-tips/

Like you said would be nice to have a roadmap to follow (which settings are best to start building a basis) but indeed no one would give his or her strategy away so actually i think this would be something Popov could provide (the roadmap)

Thanks for everyone!

Have you noticed the best on the list are usually mediocre in live trading?

J02wQ5tHnWr wrote:

well above are my settings i use for generating strategies with the Reactor.
So i was wondering what i can improve to get a higher quality of strategies.
So far this week my indicated return for the total of the strategies i've generated of +5300 euro per/day
but i'm down 15445  euro so far (all demo naturally) in 4 days so i was wondering what i can improve

If i could improve my real result to 5% of the expectancy i would be very glad.

Thanks!

Hi Jo2,

I've posted my reply here https://forexsb.com/forum/post/60678/#p60678

hello Hannah,

Great, thanks a lot for your advise!!

No worries. I think the important thing is to find your own way with the approach, although getting feedback on this is also very important, until you feel comfortable. I played around with the software for a very long time before I started to put demo trades on and when I was happy with how the modules interacted and what settings I could hope to attain, I am now starting to systematise my approach and record the outcomes so I can better focus in on what Im looking to achieve. In some respects, I have felt like I am blindfolded in a darkened room. One of my early assumptions was that you could just set up the software and come back the next week and be a demo millionaire was crushed early, it will definitely take some work, and although I feel I am making some progress, when I get some advice some the more experienced users on the forum, I really appreciate it (even though it sometimes means I have been taking the wrong approach).

I took a look at the post about TP and SL and was wondering whether you leave the SL/TP on auto or whether you are actively managing your position sizing? If I want to risk no more than 2% of my balance on a single trade, for example, I will set the stop loss maximum to the 2% value. Then when I have 50 strategies, I check the individual portfolios and make a note of the stop loss - there I will see exactly how much in total I am risking in the open positions. Another approach I take, which may not be for everyone, is that I prefer to keep my individual trade sizes very low and to have more strategies waiting to be activated on the sidelines. Even though it might not be possible to have all strategies activated as the same time, as the account grows, there will be more margin created and the account will start to take a higher number of trades as we go along. I felt forced to do this since I dont see a way to create strategies which trade a % or ATR. In any case, using a fixed SL/TP gives you way more control over your risk approach, although its a bit more manual work.

ok thanks Minch for your ideas! , yes like you said i was thinking as well kinda that it could be a full automated QA system to create EA's Unfortunately it came to my attention that results are completely different in forward then in backward testing. So still thinking how to get that more in line.

thanks,

Peter

I think a lot of experience will be most helpful.

Try to keep the robots simple without too many indicators so that you can detect what is happening

I keep spreadsheets and notebooks, all are a mess  lol

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Expert Advisor Studio → EA Advisor Studio optimum settings for generating possible strategy's