forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Is Forex Strategy Builder suitable?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Is Forex Strategy Builder suitable?

Hi everyone, I´m new here. I would like to ask if it would be suitable for what I need. I have an strategy on which I have always 0.40% of stop loss, but the TP may vary, it is never less than 0.80%. I would want to do a Monte Carlo analysis on this strategy using data from MetaTrader or ForexTester, just varying the position of the gains and losses (expressed as percentages). Is it possible to do this with Forex Strategy Builder? If not, do you know any other software capable of doing this? Many thanks

Re: Is Forex Strategy Builder suitable?

Have you explored the FSB tools? THat Monte Carlo is pretty effective.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

I have download the trial version and I´ve seen the MonteCarlo analysis section, but I don't know if I can import data from MT5/FT4 (as percentages) to it

MC in FSB applies to the whole strategy, meaning you set up your strat and then configure the MC tool accordingly what do you like it to do. I understand you want to do a specific MC on specific data, which is the outcome of your strategy? I'm afraid the answer is no. Can you replicate your strat in FSB?

Yes, what I mean is to use that percentage data to simulate all possible scenarios. I think you´re right and that can´t be done with FSB

I have always 0.40% of stop loss, but the TP may vary, it is never less than 0.80%

I really don't understand what that means.

Is it that the average loss is 0.40% of the SL.
Or, the count of closes at SL is 0.40% of the total closes.

Even the 0.40% value sounds ambiguous. Is it 0.0040 of the total value?

Probably there is a way to find an alternative solution to the problem.

Popov wrote:

I have always 0.40% of stop loss, but the TP may vary, it is never less than 0.80%

I really don't understand what that means.

Is it that the average loss is 0.40% of the SL.
Or, the count of closes at SL is 0.40% of the total closes.

Even the 0.40% value sounds ambiguous. Is it 0.0040 of the total value?

Probably there is a way to find an alternative solution to the problem.

Let me put an example, if I had 10.000$ at the broker and I place a trade, it would have a stop-loss of 40$, so that if my account grows the SL grows proportionally and if my account decreases, the SL decreases proportionally. When it comes to putting the take profit I use a minimum risk-reward ratio of 1:2, so when I place a trade I consider losing exactly 0.40% of the account and also winning at least 0.80%. Does this a clarify what I mean a little bit?

Yes, it is clear. We have only constant SL and TP in FSB Pro and in EA Studio.

I personally think that SL and TP are properties of the strategy, as well as the indicator and the other parameters. I think that it is more objective the strategy to analyse and trade according to the market data only. The quantity of our account has absolutely no connection to the strategy signals and this may not reflect on the strategy work. Simply the market doesn't care about our account.

I may accept that SL and TP may deviate depending on the market volatility or other market conditions that may have an effect on the signals, but not according to the account amount.

You may make the following experiment:
- Use EA Studio or FSB Pro to generate strategy with SL and TP (I don't recommend that, but this is another story).
- Change the account size. You will see that the profit made by the strategy doesn't change. It means that the account size doesn't reflect on the strategy signals.
- Change SL or TP. You will see that in most of the cases the strategy performance will change. If it doesn't change ...

Anyway, I'm just curious if you run a second or a third strategy on the same account are going to divide SL to 2 or to 3?

Your request actually means that you use MonteCarlo to simulate how the account balance reflects on the strategy performance. I don't think it is reasonable.

The correct question probably is: "Are we able to test the effect of changing of SL and TP to the strategy performance?"
It makes sense to me because the SL and TP can be over-optimized, which will contribute to the strategy curve fitting.
We cannot do that with the current version of the program.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Is Forex Strategy Builder suitable?