Topic: Add GPU support to FSB

Hi there, I see that FSB is only using the CPU and RAM to calculate strategies, would be nice to have GPU support, not only will be a lot faster to find profitable strategies but also will be easier to upgrade your machine as its easier to get a new GPU than getting a new CPU for your computer, this will make FSB a lot better in my opinion.

Re: Add GPU support to FSB

EA Studio has a lot of speed. Perhaps you want to have a look at that.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

I find EA Studio slower than FSB, at least for me FSB works better and faster, maybe because I have a really good computer cluster where im running FSB and can push it to its limit, also a browser app always gives me problems so I need a desktop solution, that's why Im using FSB, the problem is that I already found the limit to where I can push FSB using the CPU and now I need to go beyond that limit, so, having support for GPU acceleration would help with that as I have a lot of GPU power, even for other people that doesnt have my setup would benefit a lot if GPU support is added as it can make things faster for everyone.

One consideration is that there are many different kinds of users. some with older machines or smaller machines.

I am surprised that you require so much power, I do not think you have to do as much testing as you indicate. Strategies are not that difficult to develop.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

The thing is, FSB needs to be faster, when you have a lot of indicators and you want to get something specific out of the strategy you're generating FSB will need to make billions of calculations, using only the CPU it takes days for something that using the GPU could take minutes or hours, any modern software that makes a lot of math stuff, uses ML or parameter optimization (which is in part what I think FSB does) needs to be able to run on the GPU as modern GPU have a lot of power and you can use at least 2 GPUs and sometimes up to 4 GPUs on a computer, there is a reason why everyone is using CUDA these days on their software.

There has been discussion on this topic before. Certainly the speeds and tech has evolved, but the main arguments were firstly the added complexity and a price hike of ~$600 for GPU plugin.

I think paying extra would not be a problem, having gpu support would worth it considering the benefits.

The GPU is very fast for making parallel calculations of small predefined objects.

The use case of FSB is completely different. It requires consecutive calculations of different objects with a massive data flow.

Emagine you have to calculate MA. The formula is something like: MA[n] = MA[n-1] + Price[n] - Price[n - period].
There is no way to make the calculations in parallel.

The only example that may benefit from GPU is probably the calculation of the Upper and the Lower bands of the "band" indicators. It will work because once we have the middle MA calculated, we may compute each band in parallel as Up[n] = MA[n] + Delta[n].
However!!! To utilize simple '+' operation we have to call the GPU API, which will probably be slower.  The only solution is to upload the complete MA and ATR (or other) arrays to the GPU, to calculate the new array and to download it back.

I'm very pessimistic about the benefits of such implementations.