Topic: Performance comparison of the old FSB with FSB pro

Dear Prof. Popov,

unfortunately I have some complaints regarding the Forex Strategy Builder Pro.
At the moment I still use the version 3.8.2 with a lifetime licence from 2016.
Due to the bad performance of the FSB Pro, I have not used it the last two years, but
now I test it once more compared with your old Forex Strategy Builder (FSB) but with the
same bad results (with the new FSB pro !).
I am running the system generators of both programs with the same data and settings, mainly EURUSD H1
2015-07-01 to 2017-07-21 with 20 percent out of sample area. (Also for many other data and forex pairs and I have also made adaptions for indices and commodities).
With the old FSB, I get excellent results for possible expert advisors sometimes
after 20 minutes and I get especially quickly new excellent strategies after a restart of the generator and
all with a very good performance in the out of sample region!!!!!
With the new FSB pro I typically must run the strategy generator more than a day
and afterwards (or during the generation with often bad success) I have to analyze the strategies laboriously
in the collection deposit because the out of sample performance
is not displayed there directly !! So I have to click on one strategy after another to find out that the
out of sample performance of nearly all strategies is extremely bad !! Furthermore the equity of the strategies found with the new FSB pro are fluctuating after hours of generation typically much more than the 'Top 10' in the old FSB after 30 minutes generation time or so (same settings for draw down or non linear pattern filtering etc.) with nice linear behaviour (in combination with the out of sample region !), this means eventhe 'curve fitting' performance of the old FSB is much much better and with much more saldo with the same stop loss/take profit. In the old FSB I have the
most important option to filter out strategies with a bad out of sample performance, I have not found this option in the FSB pro so far.
It makes no sense that there are more than 100 strategies in the deposit after a short time which are all trash despite of filtering.
In the old FSB there is a config.sys file were I can check and adjust all settings once more, I have not found that in the new FSB pro.
I have looked all videos of the repository and studied intensively the online menue and tested many further settings but I have not found an answer and improvements and out of sample settings and performance is not addressed in the videos.
It should be possible to transfer the excellent properties and performance of the old FSB to a next version of the new FSB pro ?!
So far the FSB pro is nearly not worthwhile for me (ok, I import the strategies of the old FSB into the FSB pro for further analysis, same initial backtesting results)
and that with the quite expensive license costs compared with the old FSB.
I am really rather dissappointed at the moment because the old FSB is such a fantastic product and I believe in your skills and expertise!!!
The best I have found in the trading world so far!!
If I could import new indicators into the old FSB it would be a quite acceptable solution but this may not be in the sense of the inventor
and it remains very unsatisfactory with no further support and updates, I think for me and for the users and for you. What is running wrong ?

There is also same critisim in the web e.g. on this site by people who might have not made experiences with the old FSB:

https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex-reviews/3807/www.forexsb.com

With best regards,

Thomas Vaupel

Re: Performance comparison of the old FSB with FSB pro

I suggest that you use the higher time frames until you learn to use the program effectively

Use daily charts.

We all go through a learning phase, I have struggled often in the past.

The program works quite well, it does not need more toys, there is enough there to make the good things happen.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for using FSB Pro and sharing your opinion!

The answer to your questions is straightforward: I wanted to satisfy the requests of the FSB users and added many new features in FSB Pro that were not possible to add in the deprecated FSB - multi-timeframe strategies, longer time periods, multithreading, the possibility to work with several strategies... Unfortunately, it happened that every new feature made the program a little bit slower.  The only way to make the program faster was to start designing it from scratch. This try was much better, and now we have the worlds fastest backtester and generator, which even works online. We call it Expert Advisor Studio.

Trade Safe!

Thomas, which FSB version are you using? Last versions use the same indicator format as Pro, so you can use same indis in both.

The strategy generation is random in nature, you are not guaranteed to have only "successes" in FSB and failures in Pro, given enough time you will experience both sides in both programs.

And I too have a soft spot for the original FSB, fabulous program but Pro has its upside as well.

I like the old one as well have gradually weaned off it.  It is so fast because of many fewer operations. It is great for researching ideas.

Where I can download the most new version of old FSB pro?

We're talking about the legacy FSB, it wasn't called Pro. As far as I know it is not available. Some earlier versions did float around some years ago, but those are 10 years old at least. There's not a lot in common between those and Pro, old indicator version and so on.

Wow! Now is exactly 15 years from the first public FSB release.
Footon you make 10 years in the community next month! How does the time pass!!

It is great (and a little bit sad).

Yeah, tell me about it... smile

For the curious people of our community, I just built the old sweet FSB: http://forexsb.com/downloads/FSB-3.8.2.zip

Please unzip it in order to run. It is a copy of the original package and has no installation program. You have explicitly enable it and allow it to run because the Windows and your antivirus will complain.

- the Generator button is in the middle of the toolbar.
- the Collection is called "Top 10" and is located within the Generator.

"Stranger Things" happen.

Have fun!

I use mine quite often, I like it.

use it to research an idea.

12 (edited by GD 2019-07-28 18:21:55)

haha, Surprize Surprize!!!

I found an old forexstrategybuiler.exe and forexstrategyTrader.exe from 2009
Size 3,924,960 and 1,140,690
I am old here also!!! but not registered (I am not sure)

I found one more set 2010, 4,437,580 and 3,2226,964