Topic: Add an "Exit after X bars" function?

Hi Mr. Popov,

I´d like to ask for the addition of an exit indicator (or exit method in the main settings) that exits a trade afte X bars. I have found that many profitable strategies (from other trading strategy generators) often use that exit type. It could also be split into "Exit after X bars if trade is profitable" and "Exit after X bars if trades is not profitable" and it should be easy to add to EA Studio because only the bars need to be counted and no complicated code is needed ;-)

Thank you :-)

Re: Add an "Exit after X bars" function?

It may look as an easy job, but actually it is not possible to be done with an indicator in EA Studio.
The problem is that in order to make the backtester faster, it calculates the indicators signals one time per data set.
Obviously signals from an "Exit after X bars" indicator cannot be calculated preliminary because its signals depend on the particular strategy entries.

This feature is implemented as an option in the backtest engine in FSB Pro. The available there "N Bars Exit" indicator is simply an interface to the backtester parameter. We may add it in EA Studio some day, but for now it is not in our plans.

Makes sense as you´d indeed need to keep track of trades duration which you only can calculate after the trade opened. Thank you very much :-)

It can be done, but what holds me is that this "indicator" is a special case and it doesn't follow the design logic of the application core. However, we have plans for adding advanced exit options as dynamic SL and others. It will require development of special exit conditions. We it comes time for that, we will consider adding the "N Bars Exit" indicator.

EA Studio is our mainstream product now and we will develop for at least 10 year more. Any ideas and advice are welcome because we think for the possible implementation.

5 (edited by geektrader 2018-11-27 22:20:20)

Hi Popov,

yes, I understand what you are saying and no problem, it takes time to implement these things, no worries. What I am really looking for is the implementation of a correct correlation-to-ideal-straight-line for the equity curve, that would improve EA Studio a lot (requested in the Technical section some months ago as you might remember). No hurry though, as I am using another platform at the moment until EA Studio has "matured" a bit further, but it´s on a good way for sure, very nice work.

Thank you :-)