Topic: EAS suspended when on other tab?

Hello,

Sorry for the recent posts but 1 more question.  My EAS is suspending it's calculations when not the active tab in chrome.  If i go to another tab it will stop working but resume once i go back to the EAS tab.  Is there a specific Google Chrome flag i have to disable to keep it going so i can do more work while waiting on EAS.

I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thank you
Dan

Re: EAS suspended when on other tab?

The browsers reduces the performance on the inactive tabs in order to safe resources for the active one. This is valid for all browsers. They even reduces the performance of the minimized tabs.

To have the full potential of EA Studio, you can open it in different copies of the browser.

Please note that, when you use multiple application copies, the last closed overrides the local settings and Collections. You have to export the Collections before closing the tabs.

Best practice for this is to use a virtual desktop (press CTRL + Windows Key + D to create a new one, then use CTRL + Windows Key + arrow keys left and right to navigate between your desktops) and open several browser instances (not tabs), then leave them all maximized. As Popov said, if minimizing them, they will stop calculating.

Hi, I will add my grain of salt. Hope it's useful.

I'm currently running 20 simultaneous instances of EAS. I have a dual-processor Xeon Workstation and decided to use no more than 20 because that keeps the cpu usage around 75%. Didn't want to stress the machine beyond that.

What I do is open the 20 Chrome windows and then rename them with numbers using a nice Chrome app called 'Simple Tab Renamer' (very recommendable).

Then I input the settings for every window (normally the same ones for all) and let them run.

After having the EAS instances ready, I right click the Windows task bar and choose 'Show windows stacked' or 'Show windows side by side'. That creates a nice arrangement that keeps them active. I have an ultra-wide 34 inches monitor, that has enough real state for that. For smaller screens maybe 20 instances is probably too many, but that can be solved with the virtual desktop mentioned before.

Once they are arranged, I click EAS menu on each window and scroll down a little bit, so I can see how many strategies have been added to each collection.

Just a note. If you want windows to arrange numerically your windows, you have to click each window in reverse order before arranging them. You can repeat it anytime in case they are not correctly arranged.

This method has helped me to increase a lot the strategies generation rate.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

mw

PS: I'm attaching a screenshot of my setup for you to see what I mean.

https://i.postimg.cc/CRZF3rVn/Screenshot_-_10_6_2018_3_29_53_AM.png

Post's attachments

Screenshot - 10_6_2018 , 3_29_53 AM.png 655.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Now that's a lot of instances.  Just curious as to why you're running 20?  Just so you can get more possible EA's?  Also just curious what pair and timeframe do you test on.

Now that's a lot of instances.  Just curious as to why you're running 20?  Just so you can get more possible EA's?  Also just curious what pair and timeframe do you test on.

Hi,

Exactly. I do it in order to generate the biggest number of strategies and then proceed to pick the best ones. If I had a more powerful computer I would use 30 or 40, no doubt.

Currently I'm only working with EURUSD cause it has the lowest spreads and it's the most liquid pair. About the timeframe, I'm using H4 for the sake of speed. Not really my favorite, but it gives me a reasonable generation rate. I've tried smaller timeframes, but things go much slower -I'm using 15 years of history data-

Hope it helps,

Best regards,

mw

Hey MW,

About to try this out as well, sadly my specs arn't as high end as yours.  I'm curious what you do for a living with dual xeon's lol.

How do you handle exporting and making an EA?  Do you just go through each tab and download them individually then combine them all?

-Dan

Hi there,

Actually I got my workstation for 1000 dollars -plus import taxes- in Amazon -with 96GB of RAM- (second hand), so it's probably cheaper that your own computer wink. There are amazing deals in Amazon, worth taking a look.

What I do is download the entire collection from each instance. As you know, there is a 100 strategies limit in every collection, so they keep changing once they reach this limit.

I do some "harvesting" each 24 hrs. That is, I download the collections again every morning and rename them using a version nomenclature (1, 1.2, 1.3, etc)

Then, in a new instance of EAS, I upload all the collections that I've collected using the Validator and apply different acceptance criteria and robustness tests, trying to get a nice, smooth Portfolio balance / equity curve. When I see something that I like, I save the collection and create the Portfolio Expert Advisor. (Important here is to write down of all the parameters of your created collections / portfolios somewhere, otherwise you end up with a mess not knowing which is what)

Normally, I ask for a single criterium in the collection generation -in order to maintain the generation rate as fast as possible- but I get stricter when it comes to validation, because here is where you want to put stress into your strategies.

This is a workflow I developed in order to achieve both speed and have things organized. Guess some fellow traders have different approaches, but for me this is working well so far.

Cheers,

mw

Those guys are the wizards, thank you very much for the tips @geek and @mw.
Great contribution as always.

Vinicius Pereira, Portuguese Support.
Improve your trading with my strategies & signals on MQL5. High success rate & many followers. Check them out & join my EAS telegram group for updates.

Those guys are the wizards, thank you very much for the tips @geek and @mw.
Great contribution as always.

No prob. Just trying to give a little back to this great forum where I've learnt a lot of valuable things from other traders.