forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Matters → EA Studio up to 3x faster with Chrome compared to Firefox

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

1 (edited by geektrader 2018-03-19 00:14:53)

Topic: EA Studio up to 3x faster with Chrome compared to Firefox

Hi :-)

I just did a little performance shootout between Chrome (Chromium) x64 and Firefox x64 with EA Studio, using the exact same settings (validate a collection of 65 loaded strategies, put them through the Optimizer and through the Monte Carlo simulations). Chrome (especially the "high performance builds" by RobRich) is outperforming Firefox by up to 3x (and raising the longer it runs). Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6ETCRrr08

Re: EA Studio up to 3x faster with Chrome compared to Firefox

Well done, soon I'll do the same benchmark and I give you a feedback in the forums.

Great contribution

Vinicius Pereira, Portuguese Support.
Improve your trading with my strategies & signals on MQL5. High success rate & many followers. Check them out & join my EAS telegram group for updates.

3 (edited by geektrader 2018-03-19 00:22:37)

Thank you! I absolutely would like to see that crazy fast Chromium builds by RobRich against Microsoft Edge or whatever else browser too, maybe there is even something faster than this, although I doubt it as I have spent ages comparing browser performance (not just with EA Studio) and it always came down to RobRich´s Clang or Polly builds beating the crap out of everything else performance-wise, haha ;-)

Just to make sure, in the video I have been using his "Polly" build from:

https://github.com/RobRich999/Chromium_Polly/releases

He also has a highly optimized build using the Clang compiler with WPO:

https://chromium.woolyss.com/ (the third one from the top of the site).

This build is almost as fast as the Polly, the difference in my tests was about 0.5% slower, so rather marginal.

I am still amazed how much of a performance difference these browsers still have nowadays. I mean Firefox is literally being smoked by Chrome.

geektrader wrote:

Thank you! I absolutely would like to see that crazy fast Chromium builds by RobRich against Microsoft Edge or whatever else browser too, maybe there is even something faster than this, although I doubt it as I have spent ages comparing browser performance (not just with EA Studio) and it always came down to RobRich´s Clang or Polly builds beating the crap out of everything else performance-wise, haha ;-)

Just to make sure, in the video I have been using his "Polly" build from:

https://github.com/RobRich999/Chromium_Polly/releases

He also has a highly optimized build using the Clang compiler with WPO:

https://chromium.woolyss.com/ (the third one from the top of the site).

This build is almost as fast as the Polly, the difference in my tests was about 0.5% slower, so rather marginal.

I am still amazed how much of a performance difference these browsers still have nowadays. I mean Firefox is literally being smoked by Chrome.

i have checked and tested in but on my computer it is 10 times slower and have graphical problems.

Guys I've made a test in my computer, in general for me Firefox Quantum is 30% faster than Chrome
benchmark was made using: windows 10 with ssd, processor i5 3.8ghz

I'll take a time to install, test this Chromium and give a new feedback who was faster in my computer
See you soon

Improve your trading with my strategies & signals on MQL5. High success rate & many followers. Check them out & join my EAS telegram group for updates.

6 (edited by geektrader 2018-03-27 01:44:49)

@deadlef & ViniQ: did you see the video I have posted? Because that is actually Firefox Quantum there (59.0). Take note that these Polly Chromium builds are highly optimized for modern CPU generations, so if you are using a really old Intel or AMD, that might explain it as well why it might be slower (the test was done on an AMD Threadripper 1950X).

@deadlef: If you have graphical problems, just disable hardware acceleration in Chromium. Remember, those are bleeding-edge builds (Dev branch), hence they will have problems sometimes, but there is a new version all 5 days at the most anyway and most often it works again then ;-) I use this build only for EA Studio, not for browsing (using latest stable build by RobRich there too though). And of course, you should use whatever is faster for you. You should be able to see from my video that, for me, it is Chromium Polly builds. The speed of the systems being generated (just by watching the video), should give you a hindsight about your machine too.

7 (edited by ViniQ 2018-03-27 02:57:04)

Vini benchmark

Chromium (compiled with Polly optimizations) v67.0.3380  vs Firefox Quantum 59.0.2
https://i.imgur.com/c0FHaPK.png

I've record the session with one computer(my notebook) and use other (my pc) to do the experiment just to avoid consume cpu with the main computer while recording.

Benchmark Data and Time
https://i.imgur.com/txAk8BE.png

Results
https://i.imgur.com/bk7c1aJ.png

For my environment (i5-3.8ghz 7 gen, ssd, windows 10) Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 was faster than Chromium v67.0.3380 by a little. Maybe with long time runs +12 hours the difference can be better.

I will recommend to everyone if you use chrome that you can create a new chrome user and use it without chrome extensions just for generation purpose. Some chrome extensions consume cpu. wink

I've done my part, thank you @geektrader for the contribution and for sharing yours discoveries.

See you guys

8 (edited by geektrader 2018-03-27 03:35:33)

Thanks a lot, but I think the differences is when it comes to more bars. I have been using 60000 bars for the test and Firefox Javascript engine seems to get worse and worse the more data needs to be handled. Can you please do another test with at least 60000 bars and at least a few minutes runtime? Because you have to remember that Javascript is being optimized and (faster) machine code is generated the longer the application runs and the better it can profile the code. Give it a few minutes at least (5 should be enough) and see if the outcome is the same, please. It does also help, if (before recording the video) you run both for at least 15 minutes, then stop and run your test again for at least 2 minutes.

@viniq what the hell. it runs 10 times faster. i use 200000 bars. isnt it better use more bars to get better strats?

I just did another test too, Chrome is beating Firefox especially if both are running for a few minutes. Chrome seems to create more and more optimized machine code (Javascript = JIT compiler as you might know) while Firefox is a bit faster for the first ~2 minutes, if both have "never seen" the app yet. But if you run it a few more minutes, Chrome, at least here, is beating Firefox big time. Not sure why it is so different on your system deadlef (cool name btw, LOL), but it might have to do with CPU architecture. The Chrome builds from RobRich are highly optimized for the latest CPUs and use all the latest instructions (AVX512). If you CPU does not support that, the build might be MUCH slower than on modern CPUs (have seen that before).

On the other hand here is one more interesting find: Microsoft Edge (from latest Windows 10 Insider preview) does beat Chromium slightly here on my machine, didn´t expect that!!

Anyhow, just use what is the fastest for YOU. The whole point of this post was to make people aware that there can be huge differences between browsers with EA Studio, so test, then use what´s the fastest for you to not waste CPU cycles :-)

Good luck!

edge is faster than newest chrome for me..

Cool, so you see the same in that relation, great!

geektrader wrote:

Cool, so you see the same in that relation, great!

sorry edge was faster for 10minutes after that chrome was faster

Great find!! I will have to test this too, the V8 Javascript engine in Chrome is very efficient at optimizing the code over time, so Edge might fall behind in a longer run. I will report back....

ViniQ wrote:

Vini benchmark

Chromium (compiled with Polly optimizations) v67.0.3380  vs Firefox Quantum 59.0.2
https://i.imgur.com/c0FHaPK.png

I've record the session with one computer(my notebook) and use other (my pc) to do the experiment just to avoid consume cpu with the main computer while recording.

Benchmark Data and Time
https://i.imgur.com/txAk8BE.png

Results
https://i.imgur.com/bk7c1aJ.png

For my environment (i5-3.8ghz 7 gen, ssd, windows 10) Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 was faster than Chromium v67.0.3380 by a little. Maybe with long time runs +12 hours the difference can be better.

I will recommend to everyone if you use chrome that you can create a new chrome user and use it without chrome extensions just for generation purpose. Some chrome extensions consume cpu. wink

I've done my part, thank you @geektrader for the contribution and for sharing yours discoveries.

See you guys

Thanks again for this test, I have tested exactly the same Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 vs Chromium 67.0.3380 now and can confirm you results! It´s very odd, either Firefox Quantum has got a huge speed-boost from the version 59.0.0 I had tested in my original video, or Chromium 67.0.3378 -> 67.0.3380 got a lot slower. I will do more tests and report back. Quantum 59.0.2 even beats out Microsoft Edge now! Crazy stuff and interesting how the speed can change between minor browser versions! So this is something that must be re-tested over and over again as it seems.

Just did the same test "Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 vs Chromium 67.0.3380" on my REAL machine now (not in a VM like when I posted above) and in that case, Chromium beats Firefox hands down once again. What this comes down to is this: CPU! In the VM, the CPU was emulated (with lack of some instructions), on my real machine, both browsers (and especially the highly optimized Chromium build) can use all CPU features and hence the optimized Chrome seems to beat everything in that case. It also runs about 2x as fast as in the VM (VirtualBox) when compared Chrome REAL vs Chrome in VM. Very interesting...

17 (edited by Popov 2018-03-28 08:10:58)

One possible reason for the discrepancy may be that one of the browser is active and the other not. I suppose the active one may be faster.

Other reason may be that the Generator finds different strategies, pushes to Collection and draw chart. This all may take different time.

I wrote a simple speed test that calculates one strategy 1000 times and shows the time in milliseconds.

In order to do the test follow the steps:

1. Open the core app here: https://eas.forexsb.com/

2. load MetaTrader Demo Data H1 in Editor.

3. Open the Developer Console (F12)

4. Paste the following function:

function speedTest(cycles) {
    console.log("Test started. Please wait...");
    const strategy = eas.strategy;
    const settings = eas.settings;
    const dataSet = eas.dataManager.dataHolder["MetaTrader-Demo EURUSD H1"];

const startTime = Date.now();

for(let i = 0; i < cycles; i++) {
        strategy.setAllIndicatorsDirty();
        BacktesterHelper.calculateStrategy(strategy, dataSet);
        Backtester.calculate(strategy, dataSet, settings);
    }

const time = Date.now() - startTime;
    console.log(cycles + " cycles calculated for: " + time + "ms");
}

5. Run the test with this call: speedTest(1000);

It shows 10250 - 10750 ms on my machine on Chrome. Lower is better.

Edit: The result greatly depends on what strategy you have in the Editor. You may test with more complex or more simple.

Cool Popov, will test :-) No, all windows have been active, made sure about that - they all had the same % CPU usage too during the benchmark, so that was not the reason at all. We should just use what´s fastest in the given environment, everyone should test what the best browser is for them and we have seen: a change in CPU / VM can make another browser faster than the other one :-)

Does not seem to work here:

VM110:3 Uncaught ReferenceError: eas is not defined
    at speedTest (<anonymous>:3:22)
    at <anonymous>:1:1

Did you do this: 1. Open the core app here: https://eas.forexsb.com/

Yes, and loaded a strategy too. I will test again later today, a bit busy right now, might have messed something up :-)

Can you do me a quick favor and look at this one?

https://forexsb.com/forum/topic/7290/in … criterias/

Should be an easy fix. Thanks so much.

https://s18.postimg.org/rwovvneqd/cpu.png

I have a Laptop as you see in pic with ssd. But i have never reached such fast generated strats as you in your video? Is that manipulated? Or do you have make faster in video?

23 (edited by geektrader 2018-03-28 19:47:27)

Do you mean my video? If so, I am using "only" 60000 bars (are you using more?), and then I have a little bit faster CPU than yours, I am on an AMD Threadripper 1950X (just was released last year), overclocked to 3.95 GHz, that is a whole lot faster (also per core) than your I5, which also is a mobile variant with extra power savings and hence even slower than the desktop variant.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Matters → EA Studio up to 3x faster with Chrome compared to Firefox