forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Question about "N Bars Exit" indicator

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Question about "N Bars Exit" indicator

I recently started using this indicator in the closing logic condition and it seems to give nice results.  The one parameter is 'Exit N Bars after Entry'.  After generation and optimization I noticed this value is often very large -- like in the 100's or 1000's.  This doesn't make sense to me.  I'm trading in the H4 time period -- so how can that value be so large?

Re: Question about "N Bars Exit" indicator

I start with 50 and work down to a lower number......... You fix the number as generator is not helpful.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

You can create a custom indicator with the same name to override the integrated one. You can adjust the min and max limits of the indicator and the Generator will search for values within this range.

You can find the indicator code here: https://github.com/PopovMP/FSB_Pro_Indicators

Okay -- thanks.  I will experiment with a custom indicator with more narrow limits.

However, I think I'm still missing something.  When back testing with about 8000 bars and N Bars set (by the generator at 1023) the resulting chart and statistics show hundreds of trades.  And 'N Bars Exit' is the only closing logic.  With N Bars set so high I would expect 0 trades -- yet, trades are still closing.

Ohhh - you know what?  A light bulb just went on.  I think I know why the trades are closing -- I always use SL and TP in 'Strategy Properties' and those are creating the close signals.

I wonder -- is it possible to add either another statistic or visual cue that shows the proportion of trades that close using SL and TP?  Right now I can't tell whether my closing logic is really smart or actually doing nothing.  In my case I guess it really wasn't doing anything -- but I'll fix that by following Blaiserboy's and Popov's advice.

Thanks...

I use 20 a lot...... and then work down to like 6

Sometimes 18 does a nice job on daily.......... I learned that from the Multi testerer results.

I didn't make any supplemental copies yet, but I would make for 5 10 15 20 25.

Only reason I did not do that is that I did not take time to learn how LOL

Interesting -- thanks.

And if you don't mind my asking -- do you also use TP when using 'N Bars Exit'?  Or do you rely solely on the indicator to close the trade in your favor after N bars?

I use both, and that is because I have not spent time researching

I am running a bit of a test on one hour data with 5 10 15 20 n bar closing logics.

I have no idea what this will end up as, I will let it run for a few hours and see what develops.

Of course the mutitester will change the results, I will have to see what happens... maybe have to exclude them from the multi tester.

You have raised an interesting issue.!

I wonder if we need to have a group of nbar indicators, ie 5 6 7 8 9 etc...

or one that the range is say  5 to 15 and another that is 15 to 30

or one that is 5 to 40

I am looking at the results of Multitester and see that it has  several different results for nBar, I am wondering whjt may be a right approach.  What would be most efficient.

Blaiserboy wrote:

I wonder if we need to have a group of nbar indicators, ie 5 6 7 8 9 etc...

or one that the range is say  5 to 15 and another that is 15 to 30

or one that is 5 to 40

I am looking at the results of Multitester and see that it has  several different results for nBar, I am wondering whjt may be a right approach.  What would be most efficient.

Better to use Signal repeat function.

Thanks Footon, I had not thought of that....

I will try that...  I have not used that in the past, I will take a couple from the Multitester results and see what I can make happen

Thanks again for the idea.

Hmmmmmmm

Using Signal Repeat on Momentum indicator got a result with profit almost 6 times greater than what I had before.

NBar was 6 (Nbar does not have Signal Repeat as it is exit)

I have a really simple strategy , I am not satisfied with it yet, but the Signal Repeat certainly enhanced it

Thanks!

Very interesting...

As I experiment a bit with Signal Repeat then I can see that a number of indicators can be influenced in a positive way -- such that the statistics improve quite significantly.

But I'm not really clear about the implications.  Is this sort of like adding to my position but in an artificial way?  I suspect not because Signal Repeat applies just to the indicator, not a strategy as a whole.

Suppose I have 3 indicators and only one of them has Signal Repeat greater than 0.  When the one with Signal Repeat signals a buy then what really happens?

Hopefully Footon will jump in here and clarify a bit.

It doesn't matter. As long as all 3 indis give signal at the same time (same bar), position gets opened.

Adding takes place if it is set up in strategy properties. In signal repeat example everything stays the same - if there's overall buy signal (all 3 indis confirm a buy or a sell), trading goes accordingly.

16 (edited by sleytus 2017-10-12 21:33:46)

Okay -- I like this...

Just to be clear:

1. This is not adding.  This is opening a new trade, right?

2. Even if only one indicator has Signal Repeat greater than 0, then as long as the other indicators give a signal then a new position gets opened, right?   And if that is the case, why is Signal Repeat an indicator setting -- shouldn't it be under 'Common Options' since it seems to apply to the strategy as a whole and requires all indicators to be in agreement.

Maybe this explains it more clearly: https://forexsb.com/wiki/fsbpro_guide/i … nal_repeat

It isn't directly involved with adding. If adding is chosen in the strategy properties for same direction signal and all indis of a strategy give a signal, then adding takes place.

Signal repeat cannot be a strategy feature because it is dealing with an individual indicator(s). If repeat is set at 10 and at bar nr 20 it gives a signal, that same signal gets repeated in next 10 following bars as per setting.

Okay -- I think I get it.  Very, very cool. 

With a little bit of fiddling the Signal Repeat setting for certain indicators can really improve the strategy's statistics.  I guess that is because indicators may not be perfectly synchronized -- but if they give signals within a few bars of one another then that is still good enough to get good results.

Thank you, footon...

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Question about "N Bars Exit" indicator