Topic: MT4 Monitor (Program freeze , disconnection or other issue monitoring)

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone is running software to monitor their MT4 program running correctly.  I have randomly had the program freeze , disconnection from broker ect

Do you have a monitor for mt4 ,  if so what?

smile

Re: MT4 Monitor (Program freeze , disconnection or other issue monitoring)

You might consider signing-up for a VPS account -- many people value the enhanced reliability.  Not only is that remote server likely to have a better Internet connection than you have at home, but also since it is not running numerous other applications or constantly subject to Windows update, then the machine is rarely down and has a high uptime.  And if it were to go down, there are usually people on site to monitor the servers and bring them back to life.  A VPS also has the advantage it can be accessed from *anywhere* -- which is important if you ever travel.

Hi Sleytus,

Thanks for the feedback- I'm running on VPS but I'm worried about MT4 locking up. I found this
http://mechanicalforex.com/2011/05/introducing-cerberus-the-asirikuy-custom-mt4-execution-monitor.html

But it is part of a subscription for over 300usd /year and I'm not sure I get value out of the other services / software on offer (as I have my trading process already defined)

Then other options I have seen is using a combination of a server uptime monitor + heartbeat plugin for MT4

Anyone else have any ideas?

In your first post you said MT4 freezes and disconnects from the broker.  And in the second you say you are using VPS and are worried about MT4 locking up.  So -- it sounds like you are already using a VPS and that MT4 locks-up and loses connection when running within that VPS -- is that correct?

If so -- I'd say the solution is pretty clear.  You need to upgrade your VPS account.  There are many different flavors and they vary in terms of CPU, memory, etc.  If you are using a free VPS then they've allotted you a pretty minimal virtual machine.

Using VPS with MT4 is *very* common -- 1000's of traders rely on this type of setup.  If you are encountering problems then I would suggest that you not go the route of installing monitors.  That doesn't really solve the problem -- it only alerts you when problems occur.  There's something wrong with your current setup.   I may be over-stepping my bounds -- I would also suggest  you not skimp on the VPS.  Considering the amount of time you put in preparing strategies, the money you lose when MT4 goes down, plus the aggravation -- then it just doesn't make sense to save a few bucks on a cheap VPS account.  It's just something many people learn the hard way.  I did...

Hello Sleytus,

The VPS im running isnt underpowered - 3 GB Ram, 5 CPU Cores, 125gb SSD and isn't free.  I have only had the mt4 freeze once on me , im not sure if it was attached to an issue with dropping broker connection and I couldnt find the root cause in the logs.  But I would like something in place in case it happens again.  The best would be to automatically close and restart mt4 a monitor detects the platform stop,

smile

I see.  Sorry -- I assumed it was an under-powered VPS.

I guess I was just trying to nudge you in a different directon.  I just haven't heard or read about MT4 freezing in mysterious ways.  The program has been used by so many people for so many years -- it really is quite stable.  There's no harm in adding a monitor -- though that may mask a real problem.  And it is simple enough to write a script (or program) to check if an application (e.g. MT4) is running and, if not, then launch it.

However, it seems it would be desirable to have confidence your trading setup is reliable -- and if you don't have that confidence, then figure out why.  Trading has enough challenges of its own -- I wouldn't also want to have to worry about my MT4 setup (beyond the usual problems that one encounters when running Windows applications -- e.g. Windows constantly pushing updates that cause your system to reboot).

By the way -- I also worry about my MT4 setup.  I actually have two "mirror" VPS accounts -- since a few times during the year the primary one goes down.  And then I switch over to the secondary one.  From a financial stand-point it probably isn't justified, but as I've become more serious about Forex trading then I like to have a "plan B".

Lately I had the same problem, the terminal went down and stayed down for hours during Asian session. Every other day it happened and it was strictly on broker's side and something with metaquotes also. In these type of cases not much one can do. Lastly, mysterious freezes and hiccups of mt are actually legendary smile A lot depends on the broker (like my latest case) but the product itself has shown to be below par throughout the years.

I have also come across this guy - and plan to test it soon:  https://www.fxblue.com/appstore/7/mt4-auto-restart
It doesnt sound a good as the cerberus app I posted above - but i'll look at testing this week (but I dont think I'll have any issues hahah)

footon wrote:

mysterious freezes and hiccups of mt are actually legendary

Do you have any experience with MT5?  From a little bit of Googling I get the impression it is more stable.

I've also experienced problems with MT4 from time-to-time, but I can usually attribute those to something I've done.  Like too many opened charts, or an indicator or EA that crashes and brings the entire app down.  On the other hand, I am more worried about a VPS server going down.  Besides using VPS for trading, I also support multiple web sites -- and, for sure, servers go up and down all the time.

Since I now only use Popov's software and since he supports MT5, now you guys have me thinking perhaps I'll just take the plunge and move to MT5.  Since MT5 is "multi-threaded" then it should be less prone to mysterious crashes or sensitive to bad indicators or EAs.  Plus, being less CPU-intensive then I suspect it is better suited to handling EA portfolios.

Not too long ago Blaiserboy recommended moving to MT5 -- his advice is always wise...

sleytus wrote:
footon wrote:

mysterious freezes and hiccups of mt are actually legendary

Do you have any experience with MT5?  From a little bit of Googling I get the impression it is more stable.

I've also experienced problems with MT4 from time-to-time, but I can usually attribute those to something I've done.  Like too many opened charts, or an indicator or EA that crashes and brings the entire app down.  On the other hand, I am more worried about a VPS server going down.  Besides using VPS for trading, I also support multiple web sites -- and, for sure, servers go up and down all the time.

Since I now only use Popov's software and since he supports MT5, now you guys have me thinking perhaps I'll just take the plunge and move to MT5.  Since MT5 is "multi-threaded" then it should be less prone to mysterious crashes or sensitive to bad indicators or EAs.  Plus, being less CPU-intensive then I suspect it is better suited to handling EA portfolios.

Not too long ago Blaiserboy recommended moving to MT5 -- his advice is always wise...

The EAStudio Portfolios work only on mt4 or?

Or i am wrong?

11 (edited by sleytus 2017-09-24 21:15:06)

rantampla wrote:

Now that you ask, then I'm not sure -- lately I've only been using FSB Pro.  However, here is a link from Forex Academy that seems to suggest that EA Studio is supported on both MT4/MT5:  https://eaforexacademy.com/expert-advisor-studio/

Popov partners with Forex Academy, so I assume their information is accurate.

Now that I take a closer look then I think you are correct.  Individual EAs can be exported for MT4/MT5, but Portfolio EAs are only exported in MT4 format.

sleytus wrote:
rantampla wrote:

Now that you ask, then I'm not sure -- lately I've only been using FSB Pro.  However, here is a link from Forex Academy that seems to suggest that EA Studio is supported on both MT4/MT5:  https://eaforexacademy.com/expert-advisor-studio/

Popov partners with Forex Academy, so I assume their information is accurate.

Now that I take a closer look then I think you are correct.  Individual EAs can be exported for MT4/MT5, but Portfolio EAs are only exported in MT5 format.

Yes, that i mean, Portfolio only MT4.

Single EA in EAStudio i think i this not use more. Portfolio the first for me smile